+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... Last

Thread: New Jersey 2010

Forum Member

Default New Jersey 2010

Figured new testing cycle deserves a new thread instead of sifting thru 25 pages so here goes.

Agency: New Jersey Statewide Recruitment (Opens Jan 1st)
    Position: FIREFIGHTER
    Final Filing Date: 03/31/2010
    Salary: Varies
    Requirements: 1. Applicants must be citizens of the United States as of March 31, 2010.
    2. Applicants must meet residency preferences specified on page 6 as of March 31, 2010.
    3. Applicants must be high school or vocational high school graduates, or possess an approved high
    school equivalent certificate by March 31, 2010.
    4. Applicants must be at least 18 but not over 35 (one is over 35 on the day after his or her 35th birthday)
    except that volunteer firefighters must not be over 40 as of March 31, 2010. See page 7 for exceptions.
    5. Candidates certified from the eligible list may be required to undergo a medical and psychiatric
    examination administered by the hiring agency.
    6. Appointees will be required to possess a driver’s license valid in New Jersey.
    7. For some jurisdictions, once appointed, employees may be required to successfully complete an
    approved Emergency Medical Technician program and maintain certification while employed as a
    Firefighter. Please contact the jurisdiction of interest to determine if you will be required to obtain the
    EMT certification after you are hired.
    8. CPR Certification: Appointees may be required to possess a current and valid CPR Certification issued
    by the American Red Cross or the American Heart Association.
    9. Candidates must be residents of New Jersey as of the last date for filing applications (March 31, 2010)
    and as of their appointment date to a Firefighter position.
    10. Candidates interested in Bilingual Spanish and English positions will be tested at the time of
    certification for their bilingual proficiency in reading, writing, speaking and communicating
    effectively in Spanish.
    THERE IS A $35.00 EXAM FEE.

To Apply: Download announcement and application off web site below. Mail only your application, and $35 fee (or fee waiver documentation) to: NJ CSC Fire Exam M9999M P.O. Box 785 South Amboy, NJ 08879-0785
    F.D. / City Web Site: http://www.state.nj.us/csc/public_sa...ers_titles.htm
    Last edited by irish2522; 01-05-2010 at 01:53 PM.

Forum Member

Who needs a roommate in Newark? It's my goal to get on that department. Hopefully they will hire a pale, mick, veteran who just wants to see some action.
    Last edited by irish2522; 01-03-2010 at 11:01 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Residency

So after reading the job announcement, I gather that its better to be a resident of New Jersey, but is it required? It lists in order of preference...but doesn't specifically state whether or not you have to be.
    Doc Flip

Engine 33 West Side

Forum Member

From the application's first page:

9. Candidates must be residents of New Jersey as of the last date for filing applications (March 31, 2010) and as of their appointment date to a Firefighter position.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah I read that too.......keep reading cause it says on page 8:

Residence Preference
    Hiring jurisdictions may classify eligible candidates into the following tiers based on the candidates’ legal residence:1) Residents of the
    municipality; 2) Residents of the county in which the municipality is located; 3) Residents in the State; and 4) All other qualified
    candidates. Appointments shall be made in the order of their tiers; each tier must be exhausted before the next tier can be used

The way I'm reading is says that it breaks down from city, county, state and all others.

I believe I fall under #4....all other qualified candidates.

So my questions still stands, is there anyone from New Jersey who has knowledge of the hiring process, and is on a paid department, care to share?
    Doc Flip

Engine 33 West Side

MembersZone Subscriber

Doc: if you aren't a resident of the city you're applying for don't even bother taking the test.

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone hear and wind of FDJC or NHRF&R hiring?

Forum Member

Yeah without residency you have a snowball's chance in hell of getting a hired. But the state of NJ will gladly take your 35 dollars.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well I got a spot in JC, and if you apply for JC you automatically get put on NHRFR for living in Hudson County. Just wondering if their short and are gonna hire this year.

Forum Member

(irish2522)
    "Requirements: Btwn 18 - 35 Y/O, HS Dip/GED, & residency within NJ. Some municipalities require residency in their district by the closing date. Some require bilingual (Spanish). Some jurisdictions may require successful completion of an approved EMT. There is an application fee."

Wait, I wasn't aware that any place might actually REQUIRE bilingual in Spanish. I haven't heard anything about this yet... I'm getting my apartment in JC soon because of all the other lists such as NHRFR I'll get put on. I am Hispanic and bilingual, but could you have meant there are consent decree jurisdictions? If there are actually any departments that require spanish speaking applicants that is something I would like you to fill me in on haha. Anything to better my chances of landing a job.

Forum Member

What happens if you are active duty military at a base in NJ? What happens as far a residency then?

Forum Member

CSC- I pulled the announcement from firerecruit. I am not sure what departments are looking for bilingual firefighters but the majority would probably want at least one person on each crew to be able to speak and understand spanish. So the fire departments might not require being bilingual for all of their firefighters but they are specifically looking for it now for some of their new hires to get over language barriers that they might be experiencing at their scenes.

Forum Member

as far as a bilingual list,it is a separate list ,but they are never used. All you do is mark it down on your app. and they put you on it if you pass the test. Inner cities never use them because no minorities are on them, and before everyone goes nuts with hispanics being minorities, in the D.O.J hispanics are not the "affected" group and are not given preference that the blacks are given when it comes to affirmative action.

Forum Member

Andy,for your question. If you live on base and active that is your address. You can test for townships that are open to state residents,but even if you have vets preference there are alot of guys on the list who will,and anyone that is disable vet also goes to the top of the list before regular vets. Most towns that are open to the state might hire one maybe two guys off a list,sometimes none at all.

Forum Member

Does anyone know when was the last time JC or NHR put a class through the academy? Also what fire academy does JC and NHR use?

Forum Member

Don't think FDJC hired ANYONE off of the list that is or is about to expire. I think it's funny that when you take the test it puts you on a list for the City of Burlington....which doesn't even have a career department! Anyone looking to get on needs to move to a large city or area (ie Newark or Hudson County). Wonder what is going to happen with the new Gov???? Unfortunately I think he's going to keep funding to a min which will keep cities from hiring large numbers.

Some Guy

As far as being in the military at a NJ base, you need to prove that you live here in NJ.

For the question about residency this is what has happen before: The city goes through the hiring list for city residents. It does not happen very often, but it sometimes it does. After they go through the list of eligible city residents they will go to a list of eligible county residents. If it does go all the way through that list, (doubt it has ever happen) they go to a state list.

AS A WARNING: IF YOU TRY AND FAKE YOUR RESIDENCY THEY WILL FIND OUT.

Good luck. Hopefully we will still have a pension if you get on.
    This space for rent

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by KyleWickman View Post
    AS A WARNING: IF YOU TRY AND FAKE YOUR RESIDENCY THEY WILL FIND OUT.
    I've seen it happen. They are relentless and will find out.

One of the posters here said they are on the JC list, but their location here reads, "Central Jersey".

I'd start there.

A friend of mine was on the list for JC and got bounced.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    I've seen it happen. They are relentless and will find out.

One of the posters here said they are on the JC list, but their location here reads, "Central Jersey".

I'd start there.

A friend of mine was on the list for JC and got bounced.
    Why did he get bounced? I guess he was not legitimately living in JC? What were the specifics behind the removal from the list?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by urbanwarfare View Post
    as far as a bilingual list,it is a separate list ,but they are never used. All you do is mark it down on your app. and they put you on it if you pass the test. Inner cities never use them because no minorities are on them, and before everyone goes nuts with hispanics being minorities, in the D.O.J hispanics are not the "affected" group and are not given preference that the blacks are given when it comes to affirmative action.
    Ohhh ok gotcha. But if it's a seperate list, would I only be on the biligual list or would I be ranked normally with everyone else and in addition be put on a never used bilingual list? If I get put on them both that's fine, but if I only get put on the bilingual list that never gets looked at then I might as well not check the box.

And as far as actually having the address goes, I've also heard about people getting screwed over for trying to fake an address and not actually living there. I'm not necessarily looking forward to making the move to JC but I want to play it safe and not risk disqualification from a test I've been waiting some time for. Especially with all of the lists you get put on for living in Hudson County. I'd say if you're serious about having a shot don't even think about trying to cheat the system.

Forum Member

Default Fdjc & nhrfr

I've heard JC is very short on manpower instead of hiring they are closing 5 houses. NH is also doing the same. Don't know when these departments will hire if at all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killertrombone1 View Post
    I've heard JC is very short on manpower instead of hiring they are closing 5 houses. NH is also doing the same. Don't know when these departments will hire if at all.
    That has got to really suck if you were at the top of the list expecting to get hired and the list expired without anyone getting a job. Hopefully that doesn't happen this go around.

Forum Member

What's the outlook for Newark over the next 2 years? Talked to someone in the department about 6 months ago and he said that over the next few years they should be hiring a fair amount with a lot of people coming up on retirement but not sure if that's an accurate statement.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by Alex77 View Post
    Why did he get bounced? I guess he was not legitimately living in JC? What were the specifics behind the removal from the list?
    He had a residence... had bills going there.. the whole nine.

But he was living somehwere else (and on the VFD there).
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    He had a residence... had bills going there.. the whole nine.

But he was living somehwere else (and on the VFD there).
    So will I have to quit volunteering in whatever town I'm currently in? Uh oh haha. I'm going to make the legitimate move to JC and sleep there every night etc. but obviously I'm still gonna stop by my parents throughout the week so I figured that I could respond to calls here and there if I was ever in the area. If I have to quit though it's a sacrifice I'll have to make... Damn and that stipend is my monthly car payment too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... Last

Thread Information