Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default What are your strengths/weaknesses?

I'm looking for help with what I feel is my hardest question on an oral interview/oral board. "What are your strengths/weaknesses?" What kind of answer are the interviewers looking for?

I tend to say something along the lines of, "I have one great strength and weakness, and that is that I am a very helpful person. It is a strength that people are genuinely happy that I help them, and overall people feel I am a team player. However, I help people too often sometimes, and when I need help no one returns the favor. This may be because I am seen as too helpful, and will do anything, even if I don't want to."

However, I feel very poorly about this answer. Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Forum Member

In my opinion, telling an oral board you're upset because you help people too often and don't get anything in return, kind of comes off like you're expecting a return in your investment instead of just helping out. Also saying you'll do anything, even if you don't want to...if I heard that my next question would be something along the lines of "So if a veteran firefighter asked you to cover for him, or do something that would hinder your success within this department and proffession, even though you don't want to, would you?" I know a lot of background investigators that sit in on oral boards, and they'll put a play on words if you give them the opportunity.

Forum Member

I understand that it's probably not the best idea. That's why I'm looking for advice I was talking with someone that mentioned talking about something I used to have a big problem with, for example getting overly excited. Then talk about how I have controlled that, and what I do to prevent it from happening. Any other ideas from anyone? Just what kind of things they are looking for with this reoccuring question.

Thread Information