Forum Member

Question Creating a workout help..

Hey all, I am an ex volly jr ff and I am hopeing to join a volunteer dept that a few of my friends volunteer at and I want to get in better physical shape then I am now. I'm hoping that once I get in within a years time I can go for FF1.

Now I want to make a workout for myself but I need some help with ideas(routines)...

I have free weights, a treadmill and a simple bench for flys and legs and such...

I just want some ideas that will help build up my strength while also losing some weight. Any help would be great.

Thanks guys,

-Joe

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FFJoe1987 View Post
    Hey all, I am an ex volly jr ff and I am hopeing to join a volunteer dept that a few of my friends volunteer at and I want to get in better physical shape then I am now. I'm hoping that once I get in within a years time I can go for FF1.

Now I want to make a workout for myself but I need some help with ideas(routines)...

I have free weights, a treadmill and a simple bench for flys and legs and such...

I just want some ideas that will help build up my strength while also losing some weight. Any help would be great.

Thanks guys,

-Joe
    5x5
    Squat, clean, dead, and bench. The end.
    Don't celebrate at wendys or burger king.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post
    5x5
    Thank you, for the routine.

Forum Member

Default Great Program

I would suggest trying this free program: http://www.firefighterfitnessformula.com/21fatloss , it is a great way to jump start you fitness program. Make sure you check out the blog where you can pick up some really great fitness information: http://firefighterfitnessformula.com/blog/
    Last edited by fitfirefighter; 03-22-2010 at 04:27 PM.

Forum Member

Default 21 day fat loss

I am using this program and it is working really well. It trains the muscles we use during firefighting. Give it a try it will work for you!

Thanks guys, I am trying to get into shape and I took a look at that workout (21 day weight loss) and it looks great! I will give it a try!

MembersZone Subscriber

5x5
    Cant beat the "big 3"
    Squat, Dead and Bench along with a good diet.

Nutrition Nutrition Nutrition and stay away from the "gimmick" stuff you see everywhere

Forum Member

Default my work out

I mix alot of different things in, but I break it down into 2 workouts, 4 days a week, with my wednesday and weekends off. ok...Day one and three involve bench and power cleans, along with 'sitting skull crushers with a curl bar' (tri-extentions), 'side sit ups', flys, incline bench, and dips. I also incorporate some cardio in the form of a 3/4 to 1 mile run on a tread mill BEFORE I start my weightlifting. Instead of using a stair master, my gym has a flight of steps so I use those..more 'real life,' I guess. I also carry dumb bells while walking the steps. I finish my work out with jumping rope.

Day two and four involve squats, curls, 't-bones' (combination of a plank, push up, and deltoid lift), straight leg dead lifts, pull ups, /21's', and I incorporate the cardio I just spoke off. What really makes all this work is that I take VERY SHORT BREAKS between reps and exercises. I think that's the magic! It's also a good idea to change your work out up every few weeks. I keep my core exercises (bench, cleans, squat, dead lift, cardio, and stairs), but put new exercises in for my secondary lifts which would be things like curls, tricep extensions, etc. If you get bored, your body gets bored and you plateau.

Diet is also important. I try to eat right 6 out of 7 days, by eating lots of high protien (chicken, tuna, egg whites), low fat, high carb food. Lot's of water. My seventh day is Saturday, and is what I call 'S#itty food Saturday.' I don't go overboard, but I allow myself stuff like a pizza and some beers. I do take a suppliment...Creatine..occassionally a multi-vitamin..when I remember..:P..and I do take a 'protien suppliment' which is basically mixing a whey protien power with Carnation Instant breakfast and low fat milk.

What works for me, may not work for you, but I've gotten great results....as of today I weigh 188 lbs at 5'10" have a 300 lb bench, 390 lb squat, and a 240 lb clean. I took my CPAT last october and cant remember the time, but I passed it with little trouble. I just took my 'Arduous Step Test' last Friday for my 'Red Card' to go out west and scored a 58.....at the age of 37.
    Last edited by Breech31; 04-27-2010 at 02:05 PM. Reason: el nino'
    "If the ladder goes up, the building goes down."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by superfood View Post
    Workout is better to be in shape but you take some food supplement also for better results.

http://www.optimalessentials.com/products/
    No you don't. You need to eat right. Thats it.

Go away.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

5x5
    This.

Check out www.stronglifts.com (I am not affiliated in any way). I've been doing the stronglifts 5x5 routine for a few months and it is by far my favorite lifting routine. I do more cardio (running/biking) than they advocate however because firefighting is an endurance sport!

Forum Member

Workout is better to be in shape but you take some food supplement also for better results.

Don't listen to this clown, as long as you eat a heathly balanced diet paired with a good fitness plan you'll get the results that your searching for. Stew Smith is an ex navy seal and he writes a few books on fitness. I used one of his books to train for pararescue. It gave me awesome results, however, I was disqualified because I failed the depth perception test. He wrote one recently geared towards the CPAT you can find it here:

http://store.stewsmithptclub.com/newfifiwo.html

I'm not saying it is the best way, because the best way is going to depend on what feels right and gives you the best results so do some research. Hope that helps.

Forum Member

1st Block: Core stability and learning basic exercises
    Objectives: learn basic exercises and gain apropriate core stability. Without the latter, you wont be able to lift heavy weights and might also get (Will get!) injuried.

There are seven basic human movements: walk/run, squat, lift, rotate, push, drag/pull and lunge. If you do 1 of each in every training session, you'll train your entire body. Put on little or no weight in the resistance exercises at this level!

WK 1-2:

Mon
    The plank, 3*30> sec
    Bicycle crunches, 4*15 reps for each side
    Strict push-ups, 3*10 reps
    Deep squat, 3*15 reps (with a stick or a light barbell on your chest)
    Dumbell deads, 3*10 reps
    Lunges, 3*15 reps for each leg
    Pull-ups, 3*MAX reps , tilted or in a machine if you can't do ordinary ones

If you have to get down on your knees to do your push-ups strictly, then just face it and get going! The important thing is that you keep your body straight throughout the entire movement in order to activate the deep core stabilizers.

If you put the barbell on your chest instead of on your shoulders, you will be forced to maintain a good posture and technique.

Tue
    Swimming, 200 m continously

Wed
    Powerwalking, 30 mins

Thu
    The plank, 3*30> sec
    Bicycle crunches, 4*15 reps for each side
    Strict push-ups, 3*10 reps
    Deep squat, 3*15 reps (with a stick or a light barbell on your chest)
    Dumbell deads, 3*10 reps
    Lunges, 3*15 reps for each leg
    Pull-ups, 3*MAX reps ,

Fri
    Running, 3 km; 6:00 mins pace

Sat
    Powerwalking, 30 mins

Sun
    Running, 3 km; 6:00 pace

WK 3-4:

Mon
    The plank, 3*40> sec
    Bicycle crunches, 4*20 reps for each side
    Strict push-ups, 3*15 reps
    Deep squat, 3*20 reps (with a stick or a light barbell on your chest)
    Dumbell deads, 3*15 reps
    Lunges, 3*20 reps for each leg
    Pull-ups, 3*MAX reps

Tue
    Swimming, 250 m continously

Wed
    Powerwalking, 30 mins

Thu
    The plank, 3*40> sec
    Bicycle crunches, 4*20 reps for each side
    Strict push-ups, 3*15 reps
    Deep squat, 3*20 reps (with a stick or a light barbell on your chest)
    Dumbell deads, 3*15 reps
    Lunges, 3*20 reps for each leg
    Pull-ups, 3*MAX reps

Fri
    Running, 4 km; 6:00 mins pace

Sat
    Powerwalking, 30 mins

Sun
    Running, 4 km; 6:00 mins pace
    Last edited by Roland Deschain; 09-04-2010 at 03:13 PM. Reason: buttery fingers :P

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool My Workouts....

Check out beachbody.com and check out P90X..... If it seems like to extreme then start with the Power 90 program.

My wife and I use P90X and P90X+. I also supplement with a daily vitamin and a protein drink after our workouts.

Last month I bought an 80 lbs. punching bag. I do (8) 5 minutes "rounds." My rotation is: Speed street fighting, punching as fast as I can, speed turning kicks, speed elbows, speed side kicks, speed hand swords, speed ball kicks and end with another round of speed street fighting. I take 1 1/2 to 2 minute breaks in-between.

Once I finish a round I do as many pushups as I can using pushup bars. My pushup rotation is: Military style, wide with hands parallel to my body and regular with my hands perpendicular to my body. Repeat until I'm done.

I hope this works for ya..... It works for me and is pretty inexpensive.....
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

2nd Block: increasing strength and fitness level
    Objective: building up muscular strength and endurance. Increasing aerobic capacity (VO2max in ml/kg*min).

WK 1-2:

Mon
    Woodchops 3*10 reps a side (light resistance if you're new to this one!)
    Standing forward-bent rowing 3*10 reps (I say the same as above!)
    Dumbell deads 3*12-20 reps (add so much weight that you can do at least 12 but not more than 20 reps)
    Push-ups 2*MAX reps (you should be able to do at least 15 real ones by now)
    Deep squat 3*12-20 reps
    Lunges 3*12-20 reps a leg
    Pull-ups 3*MAX reps (you should be able to do at least 1, 2 or 3 of them by now - but if you can't make 3, keep on doing tilted or assisted ones)

Tue
    Swimming, 300 m continously (WK1), then increase to 350 m (WK2)

Wed
    Running, 4*1000 m following a 10 mins warm-up; maximum pace

Thu
    Powerwalk 30> mins

Fri
    Woodchops 3*10 reps a side
    Standing forward-bent rowing 3*10 reps
    Dumbell deads 3*12-20 reps
    Push-ups 2*MAX reps
    Deep squat 3*12-20 reps
    Pull-ups 3*MAX reps

Sat
    Running, 4*1000 m following a 10 mins warm-up; maximum pace

Sun
    Powerwalk 30> mins

WK 3-4:

Mon
    Woodchops 3*12-20 reps a side
    Standing forward-bent rowing 3*12-20 reps
    Push-ups 2*MAX reps
    Deep squat 3*12-20 reps
    Pull-ups 3*MAX reps

Tue
    Running, 5*1000 m following a 10 mins warm-up; maximum pace

Wed
    Powerwalking 30> mins

Thu
    Swimming, 400 m continously (WK3), increase to 450 m (WK4)

Fri
    Push-ups 2*MAX reps
    Deep squat 3*12-20 reps
    Pull-ups 3*MAX reps

Sat
    Powerwalking 30> mins

Sun
    Running, 5*1000 m following a 10 mins warm-up; maximum pace

WK 5-6:

Mon
    Push-ups 2*MAX reps
    Deep squat 3*12-20 reps
    Pull-ups 3*MAX reps

Tue
    Running, 3+3*1000 m following a 10 mins warm-up; rest 5 mins between set 3 and 4; maximum pace

Wed
    Powerwalking 30> mins

Thu
    Swimming, 500 m continously

Fri
    Push-ups 2*MAX reps
    Deep squat 3*12-20 reps
    Pull-ups 3*MAX reps

Sat
    Rest

Sun
    Cooper test run, 3000 m. How fast do you run now?

Forum Member

I read in an article that It is also helpful to omit the lunch and let the fat to burn.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hitech View Post
    I read in an article that It is also helpful to omit the lunch and let the fat to burn.

This is simply not true... Skipping meals is not an effective way to lose bodyfat. You need to eat MORE often than you probably do now to burn fat. This will speed up your metabolism thus burning fat. When you skip meals or only eat three large meals a day your metabolism slows down and your body stores fat.

The fuel (food) you are putting into your body is the number one thing that will affect your weight and bodyfat. Eat quality calories often throughout the day and your body will burn fat and you will have more energy naturally.

Forum Member

Default Hi

Hey I have just do visit this link and It's really found me very helpful. Thanks very much for sharing this great information here....

Forum Member

Why did no one mention CrossFit?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 02Corvette View Post
    Why did no one mention CrossFit?

Because if you are not a spammer or you don't talk about single joint exercises to achieve hypertrophy you really don't belong on this forum
    Last edited by NODAK; 12-01-2010 at 04:26 PM.

Banned

Default Workout advice

Hey, my name is Jack. I'm new to the forum and I'm in the process of creating a product for firefighters and ems personnel. I am curious what is your number one question about core conditioning (ab workout). If you let me know, I'll give you a free a copy of the product. Click here to go to this page and fill out my survey. Put your email address in and that way I'll know who to send the products to.

http://members.flycatchergenerator.c...ey.php?nid=826

Thank You,
    Jack Knight

MembersZone Subscriber

Can you pay me 100 bucks to use your product?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kjack12 View Post
    Hey, my name is Jack. I'm new to the forum and I'm in the process of creating a product for firefighters and ems personnel. I am curious what is your number one question about core conditioning (ab workout). If you let me know, I'll give you a free a copy of the product. Click here to go to this page and fill out my survey. Put your email address in and that way I'll know who to send the products to.

http://members.flycatchergenerator.c...ey.php?nid=826

Thank You,
    Jack Knight
    Here is my question... Can I eat like sh*t and then use your rescue abs miracle product and then hit a power stance with my sweet abs and make the girlz go crazy?? If the answer is yes... I will take two

Forum Member

MembersZone Subscriber

i started watching but then i heard the song and immediately turned it off

Forum Member

Being a fireman you need to get fit and healthy so that you can perform your duty properly.

Thread Information