Thread: AED Question

MembersZone Subscriber

Question AED Question

We received an 1199A update request on our FO grant this year of 7 AEDs, BLS kits, and assorted training items. We were requesting AED with ECG monitoring capabilities for our ALS certified people. We initially asked for $3,600 per unit and our request in the application has now been changed to $2,500 per unit. I have been unable to find a unit for less than $3000 that has that feature. How would I go about requesting them reconsidering the reduction or allowing us to purchase units without the monitor option?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

When you get your letter asking you to accept the reduction, give the contact on the email a call. Explain to them the situation (you cannot meet the goals of the grant as you layed them out in the application with that level of funding) and ask if you can appeal the reduction. They should have you reply with a formal appeal and will review it and let you know.

I know hindsight is 20/20, but you probably should have asked for monitors with AED mode rather than AED's with monitor mode.

MembersZone Subscriber

We got a grant in '08 for new AED's. Picked up Lifepak 1000's for $2,000 each (were funded for $2,500 each). The Lifepak 1000's have the option for ECG monitoring (we didn't get that option). Not sure what the cost is, but I would not believe it would increase significantly as the screen is there. Something to check into, if you have not already done so.

As Catch pointed out, once you get the official reduction you are able to appeal the reduction.

Forum Member

You can easily get an AED with a monitoring screen for less than $2,000.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SLY4420 View Post
    You can easily get an AED with a monitoring screen for less than $2,000.
    It's just whether you want the EKG monitoring through the fast patches or through a three-/four-lead connection. The latter is a bit more.

I know Zoll has the AED Plus or something that has EKG capability, but I have no idea the cost. Between that and Physio, you might be able to find something. You may also have to get staunch with the salesperson and get them to sharpen their pencils a bit.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    It's just whether you want the EKG monitoring through the fast patches or through a three-/four-lead connection. The latter is a bit more.

I know Zoll has the AED Plus or something that has EKG capability, but I have no idea the cost. Between that and Physio, you might be able to find something. You may also have to get staunch with the salesperson and get them to sharpen their pencils a bit.
    We have a couple of the Zoll AED-Pro's which have AED & 3/4 lead monitoring cables. They were $2850.00 ea. three years ago. We use them the same way. Our ALS providers have them in their jump bags, so we can get a quick look while awaiting our ambulance to come from the stn.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by kd5smn View Post
    We received an 1199A update request on our FO grant this year of 7 AEDs, BLS kits, and assorted training items. We were requesting AED with ECG monitoring capabilities for our ALS certified people. We initially asked for $3,600 per unit and our request in the application has now been changed to $2,500 per unit. I have been unable to find a unit for less than $3000 that has that feature. How would I go about requesting them reconsidering the reduction or allowing us to purchase units without the monitor option?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    As catch22 suggested you will be able to argue for restoration of the funding however, you should be prepared to supply at least three quotes as they will probably ask you to document the prices you have obtained; notice I did not say get them yet. Wait until you have had a conversation with FPS, received permission to obtain the quotes and then proceed as directed.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Thread Information