Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Attaching Leather Front to Presentation Helmet...?

Hey guys. My family bought my dad a Cairns G-5A Presentation helmet for his birthday later this month and I'm having a shield made for it too. When I got the helmet, to my surprise, there was no way to attach the leather shield to the front. When I got my N6A, it came with the studs sticking out of the front and the acorn nuts as well. This helmet had nothing. Not really a big deal as I don't mind drilling a few holes, but I'm just wondering what would be the best way to attach the shield to the front. Obviously some sort of stud or bolt and some acorn nuts, but I have no idea about length or anything. Anybody ever had to do this? Any help would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Gen3FF View Post
    Hey guys. My family bought my dad a Cairns G-5A Presentation helmet for his birthday later this month and I'm having a shield made for it too. When I got the helmet, to my surprise, there was no way to attach the leather shield to the front. When I got my N6A, it came with the studs sticking out of the front and the acorn nuts as well. This helmet had nothing. Not really a big deal as I don't mind drilling a few holes, but I'm just wondering what would be the best way to attach the shield to the front. Obviously some sort of stud or bolt and some acorn nuts, but I have no idea about length or anything. Anybody ever had to do this? Any help would be great.

You bought a helmet and didn't order the attachment device?

Try some Velco as that should do well since he will not be wearing the lid.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

The firestore sells brass front pins that can be used to attach front pieces. Drill matching holes in the front piece and the helmet, push pins through both and fold over the ends inside the helmet to secure.

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/pr...ont_to_helmet/

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    You bought a helmet and didn't order the attachment device?

Try some Velco as that should do well since he will not be wearing the lid.
    Why would I order an attachment device? When I got my new Cairns N6A it came with studs sticking out of the front and the acorn nuts... You stick your shield on, then tighten the nuts. I figured this helmet would have been the same... I wanna do it like a real helmet, with the studs and acorn nuts. I dont want somebody to pick it up and the shield falls off. I'm plenty capable of goin to the hardware store and finding what I need, but I just thought if anyone had any pointers on the length or anything, then that would be great... I called the fire store (where the helmet was purchased from) and their suggestion was to just go to the hardware store. I just figured there would have been the "correct" stuff out there for sale somewhere... I also know that some guys purchase these to wear, so they would speak up or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Gen3FF View Post
    Why would I order an attachment device? When I got my new Cairns N6A it came with studs sticking out of the front and the acorn nuts... You stick your shield on, then tighten the nuts. I figured this helmet would have been the same... I wanna do it like a real helmet, with the studs and acorn nuts. I dont want somebody to pick it up and the shield falls off. I'm plenty capable of goin to the hardware store and finding what I need, but I just thought if anyone had any pointers on the length or anything, then that would be great... I called the fire store (where the helmet was purchased from) and their suggestion was to just go to the hardware store. I just figured there would have been the "correct" stuff out there for sale somewhere... I also know that some guys purchase these to wear, so they would speak up or something.

Your Cairns N6A was ordered with the the studs sticking out with the acron nuts supplied. Otherwise it would have been like the other lid without.

Velcro will hold the front piece very well. We used velcro on the older Cairns Metro's we used 20 odd years back, so if the member was moved to another house and company, they simply pulled the front off and put on the one for the company they went to. Beside is all my years I don't think I ever saw a jake pick up a helmet by the front piece.

I have old New Yorkers that the front were held on by helmet front pins. Some one said to drill a small hole in the helmet and get four pins that are for front peices and use them.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information