Forum Member

Default Pump Can vs. Pressure Water Can

I need some thoughts on the pro's and con's of hand pump cans vs. pressurized water cans for the company who searches without a handline.

Pump cans spill all over the place, you can not search easily with them for fear of knocking them over, they are more "labor intensive," and produce spurts of water rather than a constant stream. But, they can be refilled from inside the building (although an unlikely task) where as a pressure can can not

The pressure can could freeze and explode, heat up and explode (but I suppose by that time you should have a line- hahaha) and is a one shot deal. But it's easy to maneuver while searching and gives you a little more bang for your buck until it'd spent.

I used to work in the midwest where pump cans were prominant. Now I am on the east coast where everyone uses pressure cans. Lets hear what you guys think. I am not really partial to either, I would just like a to hear your thoughts, ideas, experiences and the "goods vs. bad's" on both. Thnaks!

Forum Member

I have zero expirience with pump cans, but I would say the main drawback to pressure cans is the limited water available; meaning, the can only gets filled roughly 1/2 to 3/4 of the way full, then pressurized. I would assume a pump can could be filled to capacity.

That being said, I have never considered taking one with me when searching without a handline. Get in and get out.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

When I fill PW's in the winter time, I put in a shot glass full of anti-freeze.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Back In Black

We add a product called Coldfire to our PW's.

Helps make that little bit of water go just a bit further.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Dish soap works good too.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Ive also seen class a foam getting mixed in to make a foamy spray that makes the water work a little better.
    I would rather take a water can or other fire extinguisher with me instead of a water pump mostly because they are bigger, heavier, and require you pump them constantly to get water. that and the fact that not alot of water comes out at one time. With the water can you atleast have enough water to get yourself out of some trouble if needed. It comes out faster and goes further. I doubt that you would ever refill a water pump inside a building especially if your doing search. Your goal is to find victims not provide fire suppression.

Forum Member

I have no experience with a pump can. I assume (I know, dangerous) that the stream reach and strength is not as powerful as a PW can. Weren't they using a pump can in the movie Backdraft during overhaul?

I have used a PW can more times than I can count. I feel that it is an underutilized tool, I think today's uber-safety culture has reduced the use of this great tool. I have knocked down a lot of smaller fires as the can man on a truck, going in on the primary search, finding the fire and making the hit before a hose line is in place. Great tool, the PW can should be used more often.

That said, if the pump can has the power to be used the same way, then great.

I have zero expirience with pump cans, but I would say the main drawback to pressure cans is the limited water available; meaning, the can only gets filled roughly 1/2 to 3/4 of the way full, then pressurized. I would assume a pump can could be filled to capacity.
    GT- I mean no disrespect, but if the PW can is getting only 1/2 to 3/4 full, you are filling it wrong. Fill it up to the beginning of the dome, almost all full, should be about 2&1/2 gallons.

Forum Member

The cans we have wont come close to holding full pressure with that much water. Different models maybe?
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Forum Member

I believe the rated capacity of the water cans takes into account the space used for the pressurized air.

Never used a pump can only the water cans. I like them. We don't really do all of that "can man" stuff, but we still use it a lot. useful tool.

Forum Member

The cans we have wont come close to holding full pressure with that much water. Different models maybe?
    I don't know, I'll check what we use. I fill it that high, slide in the tube-thingy, and pressure it up. Works well, down to the last drop (or misting spray). I just got off from OT, be back to work Thursday, remind me to check what brand/model.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    We don't really do all of that "can man" stuff, but we still use it a lot. useful tool.
    Yeah, where I work now, our truck companies just want to be an engine guy too. Back up in the northeast, where I am from "can man" was an assigned riding position on the truck.

No, I have not figured out the multi quote yet.

Forum Member

its not about them wanting to be engine guys, but they just don't take a can in when they do searches or are going to locate the fire. Don't know why, but the can man stuff never really caught on.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zackman1801 View Post
    Ive also seen class a foam getting mixed in to make a foamy spray that makes the water work a little better.
    We put (well, at least I put) a cup full of class a foam in the can when I refill it.

Forum Member

If you fill it half full with water you get a CAFS like product.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Well...........

I first used a Pump Can as a 13 year old, helping out on Brush Fires, Last use was a few months back, on a Brush fire. Over the 54 years in between, I've only tried to use one on a Structure Fire on a couple of occasions, and then only because there was nothing else to use. You can't really do much with a Pump Can on any kind of Structural involvement. The "Can" or Pressurized Water Extinguisher is totally different and works OK on any and all Class A Materials.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

As promised I looked into this today and pulled out the PW can. It's fire stream was solid with good reach (>10 feet) for 32 seconds before it started to spurt, lasted 25 more seconds spurting till it was empty.

I believe the rated capacity of the water cans takes into account the space used for the pressurized air.
    Measured it. Filled to the ring below the curved top, it holds 2.5 gallons of water. Presurizes to "charged" at 100 psi and holds pressure. Squeezed again, over 30 seconds of fire stream, minute total until empty.

FYI- I don't think it matters, but Badger WP-61 Model.

Forum Member

i was agreeing with you.

Forum Member

i was agreeing with you.
    Cool. I was doing this more to insure I had my facts straight.

Forum Member

i have never used a pump can, but we use the water can all the time. working on a quint we always have the option of a line. however, anytime we pull up and nothing is showing or just VERY light smoke (such as food on the stove or a small mattress fire, dryer fire) we use the can. very quick and easy to get a hit on the fire before it spreads beyond the point of orgin, no hose to pack up and lets other companies return to service.

the rescues use it almost on every fire. especially if they pull up before or at the sametime as the first in quint. They can get that in place to possiblly get a knock on the fire or atleast keep it in check until the line gets in place.

we also fill it to the top of the dome. holds 2.5 gals we add about a cup of f500 class a foam. screw the top on and fill it up. most of the time we use an scba bottle to fill it until the pressure gauge is reading slightly above full. always make sure your can is filled to the top half of the green area on the gauge this will allow for just alittle bit more pressure, in case it leaks down cause of bad seals or acidently hitting handles whilie carrying it.

it is funny to see how one arm on the can man is always bigger then the other from lugging that thing around all day.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFD21C View Post
    it is funny to see how one arm on the can man is always bigger then the other from lugging that thing around all day.
    Awesome

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FiremanLyman View Post
    As promised I looked into this today and pulled out the PW can. It's fire stream was solid with good reach (>10 feet) for 32 seconds before it started to spurt, lasted 25 more seconds spurting till it was empty.

Measured it. Filled to the ring below the curved top, it holds 2.5 gallons of water. Presurizes to "charged" at 100 psi and holds pressure. Squeezed again, over 30 seconds of fire stream, minute total until empty.

FYI- I don't think it matters, but Badger WP-61 Model.
    Damn you. Now I guess I have to go do some expirimenting
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Thread Information