Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unimog

Forum Member

Default Unimog

Does anyone know if there are any plans to sell Unimogs in the states again. I figured EPA emissions requirements ran them out of town. One would think that European emissions regulations would be similar to those here in the US.

Forum Member

Didn't American LaFrance have the distribution for Unimog?

Forum Member

I believe the Unimogs were originally sold through Freightliner when they were tied to Daimler-Benz.

Forum Member

J I Case was marketing them at one time under the Case name. I don't know if that's still so. I tried looking on Case's web site, but I didn't have much luck. Their site's pretty big and I didn't spend much time on it. Might be worth scoping out.

Reliance

Default No longer available in North America

Quote Originally Posted by bookworm View Post
    I believe the Unimogs were originally sold through Freightliner when they were tied to Daimler-Benz.
    North America
    Unimogs have been uncommon in North America because of differing vehicle regulations and requirements from those in Germany, and due to the lack of a North American sales and support network. Most Unimog models found in North America have been imported by individual dealers or independent enthusiasts.

Between 1975 and 1980 the Case Corporation (now merged into CNH Global) imported the U-900 model into the United States and sold it through Case tractor dealerships as the MB4/94.

In 2002 DaimlerChrysler tried to re-enter the North American market and engaged in 4 years of aggressive marketing, such as truck and trade shows, Modern Marvels, numerous magazine articles, extensive demo tours, and individual demos. North American retail models were officially limited to the U500 series (the North-America-specific member of the UGN series) sold through heavy-truck dealerships, generally Freightliner dealerships.[19] Freightliner is a Daimler AG subsidiary. The UGN series was specifically manufactured for the North American market and was significantly different mechanically from its European counterpart.[20] The UGN faced stiff competition in North America by manufacturers whose truck or equipment lines performed some of the same duties as the Unimog. Some of them are Caterpillar, John Deere, AM General, Sterling Trucks (also a Daimler AG subsidiary), and General Motors. After 5 years and selling only 184 Unimogs, Freightliner LLC has exited the market. Daimler AG has cited non-compliance with EPA07 emission requirements as the main reason for ceasing North American Sales.[21] Parts and service support remain for 20 years

Where is our resident Guinea, the Kraut Krap Peddler at??????? He would know!!!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Brookings, SD got a Unimog a year or two ago.

Forum Member

Make that 2007. Here is a picture:

http://www.extraalarm.org/recent_del....jpg#Pic_ID110

MembersZone Subscriber

Red face Unimog

Reliance:
    Great information about the Unimog. A highly adaptable, versatile, chassis. There must be a hundred implements for sale in Europe that can be mounted, attached to the Unimog for all kinds of functions. In MHO the biggest impediment to Unimog sales in North America was it's VERY HIGH PRICE. Twice what a typical 4x4 Navistar would cost.

Like buying a Mercedes car vs. a Chevrolet. The Chevy is not as sexy or fast, but it can get the job done.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    J I Case was marketing them at one time under the Case name. I don't know if that's still so. I tried looking on Case's web site, but I didn't have much luck. Their site's pretty big and I didn't spend much time on it. Might be worth scoping out.
    That was back in the 1970/80s (the Army bought a large # of Unimogs as the "SEE" during the 80s). Ended when Case went bellyup/changed hands.

GREAT vehicles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unimog

Quite a difference in a 'Mog as opposed to a Navistar in terms of what you can do with the chassis. Goes WAY beyond a Mercedes vs Chevy debate. There really ISN'T any comprison if you factor in the capabilities of both units. The 'Mog will go where the Int won't,has about twice the power points(Ptos/etc)and in general has more upfit capabilities. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Uni-Mog

That's why they are so expensive, the Swiss Army Knife of trucks. A huge amount of capability, but very expensive. For off highway fire fighting, a 4x4 Navistar does OK. Or a Humvee for more rugged back country access. Cost of UNI-MOG is hard to justify IMHO.

While I appreciate what you're trying to say,NEITHER of your alternates comes close . If you NEED a 'Mog,only a 'mog will do. They outturn,outclimb,and in general will go where neither of the other two will. PLUS,they are quite a bit narrower,at least the ones I'm familiar with.EXPENSIVE? Yes but versatility has a price. To me,they're worth it if I were in the market for a true off road FF vehicle. Kind of a non issue because you can't GET one unless it was already here.I've had the good fortune to be able to play with one for awhile,they are a remarkably versatile machine. T.C.

I rode in one while zip-lining in Alaska this past August. I didn't believe it would get us up the hill we had to climb but it did, and does every day they use it.

I was also amazed at how well the chassis flexed going over the ruts and rocks. Don't think a Navistar could have done what it did.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

And just so we're all on the same page,I have NOTHING against Navistar,we own three of 'em. The Hummer,I wouldn't give you yard space for, but that's my opinion based on OUR operations. Too wide and too wrong(configuration)for our terrain,trees and goat paths. T.C.

Forum Member

A department in our county has a field piece built on an Ottawa Brimont chassis. It, too, is a remarkable piece of machinery. There is a single point of articulation on the frame, so that the front wheels and the back wheels can be in different planes.

I never had the opportunity to compare it with a Unimog for versatility, but it's the only thing else I've seen that looks like it comes close and could still run on the highway.

It's biggest downfall is that it's made in France and there are only a very few in this country, maybe fewer than Unimogs. A local shop learned to work on it, but every time they need parts, they have to call the factory in France. The shop owner was able to establish a rapport with probably the only person there who speaks English, even to the point of knowing when to call and how to ask for him. So he's able to get parts as quickly as the department wants them. Meaning do they go next day air or some other way.

Story on Unimogs. A local gentleman owned a Mercedes dealership here in town. During the '70s he also got into dealing Mercedes trucks (I bought and owned one for 5-1/2 years, 443K miles). When Unimogs were first introduced here, he got one as a demo. He liked to take it around (himself) and show it. He claimed it to be unstickable and liked to prove it. Until one day he took it into a field near his brother's house and got it into a washed out gully. It took us about two wreckers and three hours to unstick it.

Forum Member

Bring back the MiniMog.Best brush truck chassis ever made for the fire service.

C6

Forum Member

Default Unimog

When I was in the military, I remember Unimog's being assigned to Army engineer units. While I do not know if the Army still has any in their inventory, there is always a possibility that one could be obtained through the Federal Excess Property Program (FEPP).

Check with your state FEPP coordinator (usually your state forestry or conservation dept. ) and see if there any Unimogs are in the surplus system. You may even have to screen one from another state, but they may be still out there.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Unimog

How much is expensive? Compared to what?

Ah,you ARE alive! hehe T.C.

Thread Information