Thread: PA Grant

Forum Member

Default PA Grant

Just to break the monotony, to all my brother Pennsylvanians, the PA Grant totals were announced yesterday. Rush to the bank to get the paperwork filled out so you can get that money...BTW Kurt, about 20+ inches or so of snow here in Johnstown PA.

Forum Member

Here's the complete list of PA Awards.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...ail_010608_pdf

Forum Member

Attack6,
    I was very surprised at the amount of departments that did not have their 08-09 grant finalized and lost funding for 09-10. That is some of the easiest money a FD could get. All you have to do is push some papers. It also concerns me that there were a few departments that must not have applied. Oh well I guess I will concern myself about #1.

By the was what did you apply for? Ours will be used to help pay for our Engine/Rescue

Bruce
    B.K.V.F.D.
    YOU ONLY NEED TO BE STUPID ONCE TO BE DEAD FOREVER!

Forum Member

We have our paperwork all filled out, signed, and on its way!!

Kelly

Forum Member

Filled out the paperwork yesterday. Is going to buy some new attack hose.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Completed

Paperwork completed and mailed out today. $11,968.95 allocated for debt reduction of a previous communications upgrade project.

MembersZone Subscriber

We are doing Debit Reduction! But also put in for a Regional portion and got an additional $1,238.00. Suprised how few people put in for this! More easy Free Money. We were the only ones in our county to take advantage of this.

Forum Member

Default PA Grant

Yes, the neighboring Dept. down the street didnt even write one. Im sure anyone with any reasonable skills could write this grant. Not closing it out is another question I have with may VFD's. Over 100 depts. are not receiving this money because of that.
    We pay off our 2% engine loans for the year with this grant. We have about $1,600 left for equipment. I find it great to be able to pay the state with their own money. It only makes sense for anyone who is purchasing an engine to do this. After the initial downpayment on the rig...its like getting it free.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I remember these coming around back when I joined in Bucks in 94, we put in every year. Looking at the list almost every department in the county dropped in. Amazed that some never bother to go in or fill out the closeouts. Of course same thing in AFG.

Forum Member

Default Sure thing

Yep, as long as you close out and apply the next round you can get your money. With 10 FF1 ( the max) you get $11,968. The funny thing to is that you can apply for up to $15,000, knowing you will not get the whole thing...but you should apply for it all anyways because if not you only get a pro-rated share of what you ask for most some cases. Just funny (or maybe tragic) to see people miss out on money because they wont get educated in grants.

Forum Member

We got a little over $5,000 from this grant (we're EMS). Things are really getting tough for volunteer ambulance services these days. The state gives out more money to fire departments and FEMA gives out a ton more funding to fire departments. I understand that FDs need a lot more gear, equipment, etc. and they don't get reimbursed, but ambulance services aren't rich. We have to pay medics from other services for assisting us. Last year, we had a net loss rather than an income. Knew I should have went to work for the government rather than getting this MD degree. Just kidding.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

'Tis the age old issue of improvement, denial of the need to make them is what keep people from reaching all sorts of goals. I know many a fire chief that thinks there's nothing wrong with the department's lack of people, safe equipment, and safe vehicles because no firefighters have died. That's their lone metric of being "successful" as an FD. Injuries will happen, but as long as no one dies we don't need new gear without holes in it. Helps gauge the intensity of the fire when you can feel it....

Forum Member

Received a little over $5200 for the ambulance service I work for and paperwork was completed and sent in yesterday. Not so good news for the fire department I run with it states in the awards that our was started and not submit. I guess we will wait for the next round.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by daniels627 View Post
    Received a little over $5200 for the ambulance service I work for and paperwork was completed and sent in yesterday. Not so good news for the fire department I run with it states in the awards that our was started and not submit. I guess we will wait for the next round.
    Going to have to come up there and give Brad heck over that one Sean!
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    Going to have to come up there and give Brad heck over that one Sean!
    Kurt that would be ok but that is the one the chief has been doing and he got dates screwed up and Brad ask him if he sent it and by the time Brad had ask him it was due a hour earlier. I guess we will learn from that one because it was a big chunk of money but we will be on top of it next time around.

Forum Member

Honestly, I'm a little (actually, a lot) concerned about the AFG reduction we received from $142,010 to $123,500. We got several different price quotes when APPLYING to AFG in 2009, which were all around $140,000. Now, it's 2010 and prices have probably gone up by as much as 10%.

Can the PA state grant be used toward the ambulance (if we are awarded by AFG)? We got $5,000, but we applied for a $10,000 power cot. So, we can't buy a power cot because we need to save our money for AFG.

Forum Member

You can always go ahead nd borrow the remaining funds from your local bank. When you apply for the state grant, go for debt reduction. there is nothing wrong with that as far as I can tell.

Kelly

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Kelly has it right. You can't use anything but cash to match AFG, so the PA state one can't go for matching. But if you do the loan, that's cash so AFG is satisfied. And debt reduction is allowed under the PA state so it all works out.

Forum Member

I'll suggest that. However, they told me that they asked at the bank, and the bank said they would not give us a loan unless someone personally signed (to put up collateral? i don't know if these are the right terms). Maybe they asked for the entire $140,000 though. I'm sure they would give us a $10,000 loan since our current ambulance and equip is worth more than $10,000.

(this could all be wrong...I don't know anything about debt).

Forum Member

Use the new ambulance as your collateral. You will get a much lower interest rate than if you do a personnal loan. The banks will jump at the opportunity to lend $30,000 or $40,000 with a $140,000 vehicle as collateral. This is no different than financing through the manufacturer. Then you can use debt reduction on the state grant a couple of years.

Forum Member

Medstudent,

Have you explored the PA Volunteer Loan Assistance Program (VLAP)? This program is available to all volunteer fire companies, volunteer ambulance services, and volunteer rescue services. The program will loan up to $50,000 or 50% of the cost of an ambulance, whichever is less. Loans are repaid monthly at a 2% annual rate. This rate is better than any bank will be able to offer. The maximum term for ambulance loans is 10 years.

I am also fairly certain that you can use the PA State Grant (VFCVASGP) debt reduction option to pay off any VLAP loans.

You can find more information on the program on the website of the Office of the PA State Fire Commissioner.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal..._grants/567304

-dave

Forum Member

med - e-mail me.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by medstudent13 View Post
    I'll suggest that. However, they told me that they asked at the bank, and the bank said they would not give us a loan unless someone personally signed (to put up collateral? i don't know if these are the right terms). Maybe they asked for the entire $140,000 though. I'm sure they would give us a $10,000 loan since our current ambulance and equip is worth more than $10,000.

(this could all be wrong...I don't know anything about debt).
    med once you have an award letter in hand you will "own" $140K of collateral; your bank will suddenlty think of you as having AAA credit with them.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Default 2%

We have a 2% loan on both of our engines, and use the Pa grant to pay off the loan yearly. As soon as the grant comes in we make 12 months worth of payments.

Thread Information