Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Salary ??s

Forum Member

Default Salary ??s

Can anyone recommend some good resources to research firefighter salaries online? I've found one, plus I've been looking at all the posts on here to get a better feel of the firefighter life...but, I'd like to do some more research into salaries and how they differ. Thanks in advance

Forum Member

Its not about the money.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 419tfrd View Post
    Its not about the money.
    Yea jerk! So go somewhere else if you want information! You think helping people is part of what we do?

Sorry wish I could help but I don't know of any sites

Quote Originally Posted by 419tfrd View Post
    Its not about the money.
    It is partly about the money, unless they are going to allow you to raise your family in the bunk room.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Don't get me wrong...you definitely have to make a living and you will as a firefighter. But the pay does not necessarily start off very high and you can't let that discourage you if this is the job you want.

As in any career, salary plays a role in most peoples decision to become a firefigher. Perhaps he just wants to know if being a firefighter is monetarily a viable career choice for him and his family.

For the OP, google it. Salaries of firefighters can vary greatly. I know people that make 20k a year and some that make 6 digits. It will all depend on city, state, size of the department, experience of yours, etc...

MembersZone Subscriber

Look at job postings for your area. Many will include the salary. If they don't, contact city hall and inquire. They should be able to get you an idea. Remember to include any incentives (education, mandatory OT, etc) in your calculations. Big cities will make more than most suburbs and rural areas, but their cost of living is higher. In Southern California, a new FF/EMT will make above $50k/yr in some places. But a home costs over $500k. In the midwest, you'll start around $40k/yr but a similar home will cost around $200k. Also look at the salary with about 3 years of time on. Often you start at a recruit/probationary salary that is thousands less than where you'll be in 3-5 years. In my area, a new guy will get about a $4k raise when he goes from recruit to probie.

Forum Member

Default Salary isn't everthing

Itís not salary you want to worry about, itís ďTotal compensatory salaryĒ. What that means is a total of all of your benefits. I believe one of the trade magazines does an annual survey.

But here is something else to consider. If you get hired by a department that pays everything, your medical, dental, retirement, uniforms, everything, you may get a salary of say $5,000 per month. With another department you get a salary of $7,500 per month and from that they deduct all of those expenses and you take home $5,000. Your take home is the same, but when you go to retire your retirement is based on a percentage of your base salary. If you retired at 86.6%, that would be a difference of $2,195 per month.

I would take any job offered me, but it seems you are shopping around and you would want to consider everything.

Good Luck, Capt Rob

Thread Information