Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Portable attack monitor grant

I am writing a grant for a blitzfire monitor and i need some input about the usefulness of the monitor. I am wondering how people's experiences with the oscillation feature has been. It is a $600 dollar increase on a $2700 grant. Just wondering if anyone thinks it is worth asking for. I personally have never used one, but our training officer has seen them used to wet down a hillside after a brush fire (they had a great water supply evidently).
    Last edited by drakescrossing; 01-06-2010 at 07:20 PM. Reason: spelling error

MembersZone Subscriber

IMO
    It would be a valuable tool if you didn't have the manpower to run lines up and down the hillside.You would be able to use your minimal manpower for grunt work like rolling logs ect. and if mounted remotely your driver could work ahead of the crew knocking the bigger stuff down so they could get to the seat of the fire. Same would apply for structure fires,main street or in
    your business district to keep adjunct buildings cooled down with minimal manpower and out of the collapse zone if multi level.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink I bought one for each engine!

I combined the blitzfire with 2500' of 5" LDH and a hose tester to do a water supply project in 07. Email me if you want some narrative verbage. JGibson13@twcny.rr.com

The blitzfire portable deluge is a 500 gpm master stream. We bought the straight stacked tips, the TFT adjustable nozzle, stream straightener, the vehicle mounting bracket and the oscillator. We connected our blitzfires to 300' of 2.5" preconnected attack line. With the right hose load, one man can put the blitzfire on his shoulder and deploy all 300' of hose. You set it on the ground, set elevation, oscillation and can walk away. One man can literally deploy and operate a 500 gpm attack line. With little or no manpower for those daytime fires, or any large fires, they are priceless. Compared to 2 or 3 guys fighting a 2.5" line with a TFT nozzle at 200 gpm, it is so easy to use. Once setup, if you kick it or it flips over, it shuts off automatically. We also have the fittings to supply it with 5" LDH.

The oscillator is an OK option. It works well if you want to make a water wall between structures or to keep spraying down an exposure or something burning. Think of all those times when you would keep swinging the stream from side to side to keep hitting an entire area like a pile of tires burning or to cool an exposure.

I hope to never have to wrestle a 2.5" line with a pistol grip TFT nozzle ever again. This old dog can now handle a 2.5" line all by myself without breaking a sweat. Some of the young bucks will surely claim they can handle a 2.5" TFT nozzle all by themselves, but why work hard when you can work smart.

MembersZone Subscriber

I included blitz monitors on our fire attack grant this year. Right now I'm sitting on an 1199a update for it. It has the blitz monitors, all new nozzles (standardizing them on all trucks), 1 3/4" hose, a brush skid, and a hose coupling machine.

The reason I put in for them was to maximize our manpower. Like a lot of rural departments out there, we run pretty short for the first few minutes, if not more. Since we utilize the blitz attack quite often, these should fit in nicely.

I didn't go for the oscillating type. To me there's too many moving parts, which adds maintenance and weight, and we can make up for the oscillating by having someone adjust as needed and by using more than one. That's just my opinion, but it may be great and I'm missing out.

Right now I'm torn between the TFT Blitzfire and the Akron Mercury. Make sure you look at both and have them bring a flow meter when they do it. I don't want to do any sales work for either one of them, but you'll find some difference between the two. Also, make sure to set them up on uneven ground and flow them.

Akron also has a nozzle that has a straight tip in the middle and a fog on the outside, all it takes to change is a flip of a bale. I don't know that I like it, as you've got a set diameter on the straight stream instead of being able to adjust it like stacked tips, but it's an option.

Forum Member

I love the blitz itself, i just have never used the oscillator add-on. Thanks for adding the maintenance though Catch. It does seem like it would be subject to a lot of abuse, and how often would we need it anyways?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by drakescrossing View Post
    I love the blitz itself, i just have never used the oscillator add-on. Thanks for adding the maintenance though Catch. It does seem like it would be subject to a lot of abuse, and how often would we need it anyways?
    That's kind of my thinking, too. Most of the time we'd set it up and use it stationary, then adjust as needed. It's kind of like the oscillating feature on the bumper turret on our quick-attack that has yet to be used.

I'm can't remember on the TFT Blitzfire, but I know the Akron Mercury will adjust side-to-side. It seems like the Blitzfire is stationary and you have to adjust the entire monitor, but I could be wrong. It's was last summer when we got a good look at it and that's one of the things I really didn't burn into my memory. The Akron guy was here just last week, so that's still fresh.

The Akron guy also showed us the big brother to the Mercury. It's basically a smaller version of a full-sized monitor, complete with an LDH connection. It just looks a bit more compact and lighter. If we could sustain the higher flows, I might look at it, but we're going to stick with the removable deck gun/monitors we've already got and the one we're getting on the grant (forgot to add that to the list).

If you want a copy of the narrative, just let me know.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'll tell you my biggest issue right now. I know the monitors are going to be mounted on the rear of the apparatus where the 2 1/2" preconnects are, but I don't know whether to preconnect it, leave the stacked-tip playpipe preconnected, or put the fog on it. I've even kicked around mounting all three side-by-side for quick change-over, if there's room.

MembersZone Subscriber

We bought one a few years ago and we like it. It is quick and easy to deploy by one or two firefighters. We did not see the need for the oscillation feature so we did not purchase it. It is a good piece of equipment.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our Akron Mercury has yet to fail after 7 years. We mounted it inside a compartment with our extra nozzles to keep it out away from dust and gravel and the road chemicals they put down for snow removal on the highways here in the Iowa.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mtndew21 View Post
    Our Akron Mercury has yet to fail after 7 years. We mounted it inside a compartment with our extra nozzles to keep it out away from dust and gravel and the road chemicals they put down for snow removal on the highways here in the Iowa.
    I hadn't thought about the aspect of the dirt and chemicals getting into it. Glad you brought that up.

Forum Member

We got an Akron Mercury about two years ago and within a week we used it on a house fire. It's a great piece of equipment.

We carry ours attached to the 2.5" rear preconnect, and have it mounted to a bracket just outside of the hose bed.

Forum Member

We have two of the blitzfire monitors. We did not purchase the oscilation feature as we could not justify the extra expense. We have had the 1st blitzfire since 2003. We have used them numerous times. If you want to get the 500gpm from the blitzfire, it will need to be supplied by 3" hose straight off the pump panel. Sometimes the rear discharge has so much friction loss that it is near impossible to get the 500gpm off the rear.
    We run one preconnected off the rear because that is the only place we had to put the hose. The other is off a deadlay over the pump panel and is connected to a side outlet. They have worked well for us.

Forum Member

Default Mounted ours on the rear of our Pumper-Tanker

We considered the probelm with dirt and salt - but after discussing the issue with neighboring departments who had Blitz Fire in their compartments but never used them (out of sight, out of mind) - we preconnected ours and mounted to the rear. So far, dirt/road grime haven't been a problem.

Forum Member

We mounted ours on the rear of our pumper also. I purchased a drawstring bag to protect the nozzle, but cannot put the entire monitor in.

Thread Information