Forum Member

Default Fire Cert is expiring: What can I do?

Hey gang, with all this freezes going on how can one keep their certs going? almost all volunteer fire jobs are full, and nobody is hiring and if they are its only 1-6 people. My cert runs out this April 2010 what can I do to keep this going? or do I have to go to Ocala and test again?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnguillen68 View Post
    almost all volunteer fire jobs are full
    Not likely.
    Most volunteer departments accept any help they can get.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by kjohn23 View Post
    Not likely.
    Most volunteer departments accept any help they can get.
    VERY likely in the central Florida area atleast bro....Not even volunteer spots are here.

Forum Member

I will try to look for a volunteer job. Meanwhile I just saw that Melborne is hiring. I know they have volunteers up there. I'll give it a try.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VESmedic View Post
    VERY likely in the central Florida area atleast bro....Not even volunteer spots are here.

Keep trying and looking. I have heard the same thing about Socal. But here in Colorado there are plenty of volunteer FD that take people all the time. Also keep your eye out if there is a paid FD hiring or about to start an acadmey. It is likely some of those volunteers get paid jobs or going to the acadmey around march. So keep looking and trying. Thats what I would do.

Looks like Florida has alot of Volunteer FD's here is a link to check may find some you didnt know about before. http://www.myfloridacfo.com/sfm/Link...epartments.htm

Forum Member

If you live in Marion County you could volunteer for them, have you been active?, the reason I ask is according to the info that I got with my cert you have to be active hired/volunteer for 6 consecutive months in the 3 years of your certs issued date, if not you have to take the refresher course.

MembersZone Subscriber

In the state of Florida you must be a volunteer for 6 consecutive months to maintain your certification anyways. You my friend are gonna have to go through the state. as ctlaltdelete stated you need to go here http://www.myfloridacfo.com/sfm/bfst...d/StdFFCrt.htm scroll down the info about firefighter retention is on there. Good luck.

Forum Member

I retested a few years back. It's no big deal. Make sure and take the refresher course at the college.
    ...at this time.

Forum Member

What do they make you do to retest? Is it the big three again?

Forum Member

thanks gang for all your help. I will be looking at that website for volunteer positions. But at the same time study because I haven't used anything related to fire. I'm a little behind on my knowledge. I'm good physically but I have to get my mind there too.
    I believe the triple has changed again. I at times go to the academy and pass by and the captains tell me that the triple is changing.

Forum Member

Polk county has volunteer opportunities. thats where i am now until i find something

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IvanDRios View Post
    Polk county has volunteer opportunities. thats where i am now until i find something
    Ivan, its Greg Haney from fire school, can you PM me on here, I need to talk to you.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Hey Guys...........

I know this is a bit off to one side of the question, but I try to get this message out as much as I can.

You all need to get organized and get things changed in Florida. Your Training SYSTEM is Terrible. (NOTICE That I said System, there are good people there, it's just how things are done that is bad) Here in Maryland, we don't have Fire Certs that expire until you do. I have National Pro Board and Maryland Certs that are good until after my Funeral. Second, and most important, All Fire Training here is FREE. Free meaning that the money to operate the State's Fire Training operations is Tax Money thru the State Budget Process, No Individual person or Fire Department puts out a Dime. Third, NO ONE can take any type of Emergency Service Training (Fire, Rescue, Hazmat, etc. UNLESS they are already a member of an Emergency Response Organization. In order to have everything equal, Training is Restricted to the Maryland Fire and Rescue Institute and/or those Academies that are operated by a Fire Department. Community Colleges, etc, are barred from being involved in Fire Training, because we do not want Fire Training to be a way of Making Money for anyone.

I'm thinking there must be a Volunteer Firefighters Association in Florida, but if not, there should be. If everyone got together on this, you could put enough Political Pressure on the State to change things.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bucsfan View Post
    What do they make you do to retest? Is it the big three again?
    The big three and ERG. It has changed recently but is easier. Take the refresher.
    ...at this time.

Forum Member

Here in Maryland, we don't have Fire Certs that expire until you do.
    Not sure thats a good thing. We have come along way since 1970 ... and their certs from 1970 are as good as mine?? Dont BS me about experiance ... he has been an accountant since then and never did anything with them. Well they dont expire ... ??

I'd like a little more then the time they give ... 2/3 years but expiration if your not working is a good thing.

Forum Member

I am an instructor in Florida, and I also agree that the expiration date is a little messed up. At least they should give you 10 years if not life. I understand the EMS licensure expiration, but fire training has pretty much been the same for 20 years.

Rolling hoses, throwing ladders and stretching lines does not change. Only the eqp does and you don't usually use the same stuff in the academy that you do on the job anyway.

I don't think that you could prove that searching a smoke filled building and pulling out a victim is any different now than it was 20 years ago.

As far as I can see, the only thing that really changes is the SCBA,and those are pretty much the same other than the bells and whistles.

Unfortunately the State does not seem to alocate much money to the State Fire Marshalls Office. They only have a handfull of employees in the office, so getting them to fully fund all training is never gonna happen.

Default cert renewal; what "renewal satisfied" mean?

This is probably related. My volunteer department sent in my paperwork to keep my cert up.
    The question I have is I went on the Florida Fire College website to check status and saw on my profile "Renewal satisfied". Does this mean I was renewed? Thanks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GMP440 View Post
    This is probably related. My volunteer department sent in my paperwork to keep my cert up.
    The question I have is I went on the Florida Fire College website to check status and saw on my profile "Renewal satisfied". Does this mean I was renewed? Thanks.
    No it means they messed it up...

Thread Information