Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Urban Interface Apparatus

My department is in the process of building our new Engine, a 4x4 International

Our Department services the community and RM for the area and has decided to order our first 4x4 truck (aside from our fast response unit)

The members of the department have gotten an initial spec to work on, in it they've quoted a bumper mounted turret attached to a high pressure portable pump housed in a recessed area on the command side. This portable pump will likely also pump a booster line for brush and vehicle fires.

The main pump has been decided on as a 750gpm Darley due to restrictions on water in the town.

To get down to the meat and potatoes of the question, I have my reservations of location and type of pump and the nature of the duty. I'd like to know if there is a pump for a pump and roll that will not affect the current transmission or driveline function.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated and Pics

Forum Member

Short answer is Yes, Mine has a 23hp engine with a 150Gpm pump. All controls are mounted in the cab so the engineer or officer can operate them.

Forum Member

any croos mount pump from waterous,hale, darley. they useally have johndeere or cummins desial engine's our has a john deere 175 or 200 hp engine can't remember
    Last edited by jeremy1213; 01-07-2010 at 12:53 PM.

Forum Member

If you only need 750 GPM + Pump and roll, I would go with a 750 GPM separate engine driven pump. (Like a crossmount)

Last edited by npfd801; 01-07-2010 at 08:34 PM.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

This has me thinking... Has anyone ever built brush firefighting platforms like you see on brush trucks on to a top mount pump?

Forum Member

What would the financial cost be associated with a cross-mount pump? How much more can we expect to pay out for this type of set-up?

Forum Member

Sorry, I don't know about pricing...

MembersZone Subscriber

Check out the Timberwolf from Rosenbauer. Only need one pump for pump and roll and for high pressure for the turret and booster lines. The IH 4 x 4 is the preferred chassis.

Forum Member

I would second the motion to look at Rosenbauer - we test drove their Timberwolf with the 3 stage 1000 gpm pump - really impressive with the front mounted nozzle. Don't limit your pump size based on your water system - do you ever draft?

You can get the Timberwolf up to 1250 gpm. I recommend looking at it if for nothing more than seeing a pretty well laid out interface rig. Smeal has done some nice ones as well. Since we haven't moved on an interface rig these are the only two I know much about, there are several others. T.c.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 01-11-2010 at 10:22 AM.

Forum Member

Default Urban Interface

As Rescue 101 stated Smeal has built over 100+ MF (Multi-Functional) Engines for Riverside County CA that have the normal Midship Waterous 1500 GPM Pump and a "separate" 250 GPM Diesel Engine Pump in the Dunnage area above the Pump to achieve the Pump & Roll without the complication of Driveline/Hydraulics issues and it's worked very well on Spartan Custom Chassis's and they have also done some on Navistar 4x4 Commercial Chassis's.

As well Edmonton has 4 and 2 more on order from Smeal Custom Pumper Tankers with a Hale QMAX 2250 GPM Pump and 1500 IG Tanks and 300 GPM Separate Diesel Engine Pump to achieve the same benefits of Pump & Roll and have the Akron Firefox Bumper Turret and 2 Crosslays connected to the Diesel Engine Pump along with Foam capability.

Contact the Dealer in your area for information.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aerialguy11 View Post
    Contact the Dealer in your area for information.
    Well.... That would be you then John

Forum Member

Yes and if want or need some information or assistance don't hesitate to call.

Thread Information