Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience

View Poll Results: Which Leather Turnout Boots would you buy?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pull on

35 89.74%
  • Zip up

4 10.26%
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Leather Turnout Boots

I was wondering if money were no object would you buy a pair of pull on leather boots or zip up boots strictly for turnout gear. I am leaning toward zip ups but I was wondering if anyone had a problem getting them on.

Forum Member

I have a pair of Globe 12" structural boots, as far as having an issue getting them on. They do take a bit longer then just jumping into something that is not tight around your foot/leg, but for me the extra 10sec it takes to put them on over the old rubber boots is worth it in comfort. As for pull on leather boot vs zip ups i have only had zip ups so i cant compare the two.
    Last edited by MW-NMVFD; 01-07-2010 at 06:48 AM.

Forum Member

I prefer properly fitting leather pull ons. Most high end leather "shoe fit" pull ons are just as comfortable and secure as a zip up. And if you have zip up boots, how do you plan on keeping your bunkers attatched? I can literally jump into my boots with the bunkers attached, pull them up and go. Why complicate things with a zipper? I see no advantage, only disadvantages. And a zipper and the flaps located behind it in the toungue are simply more places that will need to be cleaned if the boots become contaminated.

It's already now been proven that Leather boots decon better then rubber. Why mess with them simplicity of them?

Always look at the source of information when you read things...

Unfortunately the information from Gore is incomplete. What exactly were the materials tested on both boots ? Leather and rubber used to make fire boots varies alot from one manufacturer to another. One manufacturer's leather can be very different from another manufacturer's leather, and same for the rubber. Case in point Thorogood and AirBoss-Defense both have rubber boots that offer enhanced chemical protection compared to average rubber boots. Were these boots tested ?

It would be interesting to know what materials were tested and from which manufacturers these materials came from,to see if Gore tested the appropriate materials. Especially knowing that the source (i.e. Gore) could be judged biased since they provide liner material to leather boot manufacturers. Gore wouldn't try to sell us on leather, just because it would be to their advantage, would they ?

Plus this test only verifies decontamination and not levels of protection, which are two distinct elements. Although one could assume that leather boots do decontaminate better than rubber boots (if the omitted information from Gore confirms this hypothesis), this by no way could be interpreted as meaning that leather boots offer better chemical protection than rubber boots.

Another important factor to remember is that if checmicals are encountered during an intervention, the recommended procedure is to get rid of the contaminated equipment, not to decontaminate it. The NFPA 1971 standard is quite clear in defining "single exposure" for all certified PPE related to CBRN agents. This "single exposure" is also defined in the NFPA 1994 standard. Therefore the need for decontamination becomes irrelevant under the NFPA standards mentioned by the author himself.

I would also recommend that you look into the new generation of rubber boots before making your final judgement. There are new rubber boots out there that are just as light and comfortable as leather boots, but offer better protection... all for less money.

Forum Member

Last edited by ColoradoDave; 02-13-2013 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WD6956 View Post
    I prefer properly fitting leather pull ons. Most high end leather "shoe fit" pull ons are just as comfortable and secure as a zip up. And if you have zip up boots, how do you plan on keeping your bunkers attatched? I can literally jump into my boots with the bunkers attached, pull them up and go. Why complicate things with a zipper? I see no advantage, only disadvantages. And a zipper and the flaps located behind it in the toungue are simply more places that will need to be cleaned if the boots become contaminated.

It's already now been proven that Leather boots decon better then rubber. Why mess with them simplicity of them?
    This is how I feel too. I don't have any experience with zip up structural boots, but to me it would seem like your just adding another unnecessary step. If you get a good fitting pair of leather boots, (or globe boots, as I've been told) they will fit very nice.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chenzo View Post
    This is how I feel too. I don't have any experience with zip up structural boots, but to me it would seem like your just adding another unnecessary step. If you get a good fitting pair of leather boots, (or globe boots, as I've been told) they will fit very nice.
    I wear Black Diamond X boots and they are so comfortable, i could wear them every day. The key is to get boots that fit properly. Too loose and they flop around and make walking a chore. Too tight and your feet sweat too much and get sore. Either way, you will hate your boots.

I really want to try a pair of the Globe boots on. While i do not doubt how great everyone says they are, before i drop close to $400.00 on boots, i want to be certain. First chance i have to find a dealer with a 15 in stock, i am going to try them and if they are more comfortable then my X boots, ill buy them.

Forum Member

15 thats a big 'ole foot.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JMac73 View Post
    15 thats a big 'ole foot.
    Yes, and it makes for issues when i need footwear in a hurry. I am sure most of you can walk into a fire store and have your choice of any style of boot they have in stock. With me, i have to read about them then roll the dice and just order something and hope for the best. I did get lucky with the X boots. They had them in stock which blew me away.

Same with going on vacation. If the average guy goes away and damages his only pair of shoes or maybe loses a shoe in the mud for example. You can go to any shoe store, Walmart, K mart etc and buy a pair of shoes. Even a cheap pair of ugly shoes, but you can get shoes. Me? I am SCREWED.

Quote Originally Posted by WD6956 View Post
    I wear Black Diamond X boots and they are so comfortable, i could wear them every day. The key is to get boots that fit properly. Too loose and they flop around and make walking a chore. Too tight and your feet sweat too much and get sore. Either way, you will hate your boots.

I really want to try a pair of the Globe boots on. While i do not doubt how great everyone says they are, before i drop close to $400.00 on boots, i want to be certain. First chance i have to find a dealer with a 15 in stock, i am going to try them and if they are more comfortable then my X boots, ill buy them.
    Agreed. I have a pair of Thourhogoods that fit perfect, not to tight, not too loose, and are very comfortable and easy to move around in. I also wanna try a pair of globes, but I'm a poor poor man. On te foot size size, I wear a 14 so I kind of feel your pain with shoes and boots. Little eaiser to find than a 15 though.

Forum Member

I just got a set of the Pro Warringtons (SP?) last week and have been breaking them in. Good feel and seem to be very solid.

Forum Member

Last edited by ColoradoDave; 02-13-2013 at 01:09 PM.

Forum Member

I have only used pull on boots. i have to agree with the above posts when i say i dont' see the need to have a zipper if your boots fit properly. I am currently using a set of Warrington Pro structural boots and they fit like a glove. I also know many people in my company who are using the globe structural boots and are quite happy with them as well. just my .02 avoid the zipper

Thread Information