Thread: AFG Quote

MembersZone Subscriber

Default AFG Quote

I've got my 1199, do I have to get 3 quotes prior to purchase. I'm sifting through and can't find anything....I can't find my own car keys either, so it may just be that I'm looking over something.

Forum Member

Yes. You will want to get at least three quotes. However, you do not want to do that until after you officially receive the award or the quotes will not be able to be used.

Kelly

Forum Member

Grant guidelines state that you must adhere to your Departments purchasing policies, so if your dept requires 10 quotes you need ten, most get the customary three just to be safe if you dont have an established policy.

B. Quotes obtained prior to submittal of the application - for the purposes of applying for this grant - are not considered to be sufficient to satisfy the requirements for competition as outlined in OMB Circular A-110 below. All bidding activities implemented for competition must be sought and obtained after award, i.e., during the period of performance. Grantees may be jeopardizing their awards if the requirements set forth are not adhered to.
    Last edited by HazFire1; 01-07-2010 at 01:37 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Even though you have that 1199, don't put it out for bids until AFTER you get the official award.

You can have everything ready to put out for bids - but you can't ask for the bids until after the award.

MembersZone Subscriber

And by all means, do not buy anything or even sign a contract before you receive an award notice. If you do, you just proved that you don't need federal money for the purchase and you will not be eligible for grant funding. Too many people make this fatal flaw. Only in extenuating circumstances will they allow you to purchase or contract in advance of an award.

Dave

FH Mag/.com Contributor

The requirement on bidding is the more strict, either the 2 DHS requires or your local requirements. If local requires newspaper ads, 30 days, etc then that must be done. Otherwise a bid to DHS is a price for a product so you can hit the internet and print out web pages if they have prices on them. Can even avoid bid and go state contract if it's lower.

On most things a documented evaluation process must be done also, showing that folks had their hands on the equipment. Mainly to handle the Conflict of Interest regs.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    The requirement on bidding is the more strict, either the 2 DHS requires or your local requirements. If local requires newspaper ads, 30 days, etc then that must be done. Otherwise a bid to DHS is a price for a product so you can hit the internet and print out web pages if they have prices on them. Can even avoid bid and go state contract if it's lower.

On most things a documented evaluation process must be done also, showing that folks had their hands on the equipment. Mainly to handle the Conflict of Interest regs.
    Brian, I'm guessing there wouldn't be a conflict if a fire vendor should show up with say items that you will be requesting bids on later? I mean some of these reps make regular visits with the hope of getting your business. Some even supplied quotes for your grant application and they are following up on that. That has usually been a determining factor for me when it comes time to make a purchase. If they come to pay a sales call, to win my business or took the time to extend a quote for you to use, is always a step in his favor of winning that business. I would want to inform them that I will be wanting them to respond with a bid/quote AFTER I send them the official request. I can't see AFG having a problem as long as it looks like other vendors were given an equal opportunity. I know they will look critically if you continue to do business with one vendor only and give him the AFG account, but there are times when you have to go with the vendor that tips the scales in their favor.

AND,

Did Katy win the state football championship over Abilene?
    Last edited by jam24u; 01-07-2010 at 06:05 PM.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

As long as bids are done after the award and are open you can choose whichever vendor you want. That's the thing that has only somewhat complicated bidding since you don't have to go with low bid, you don't have to go with closest vendor or anything else. You can choose who you want for whatever reasons you want, as long as products were viewed/tested and the bid spec wasn't specific to a brand. Customer service is one of the biggest things everyone harps on, so of course it's a valid metric in evaluating a bid. If you never see the salesperson unless there's money, that's not customer service. Prior working relationships are valid reasons for choosing vendors as are national/local company reputations. Any changes made aren't forcing anyone into any particular vendors or away from any, just forcing people into actually looking at what they're buying. Part of the change was people bought cheap (but compliant) gear from someone they never see anymore and the stuff falls apart after 3 years now they want another grant from DHS or want DHS to make the company give them new stuff. Not going to happen, so this is DHS' way of forcing awardees to really check over what they're buying and who they're buying it from. Along with the conflict of interest thing.

Think Katy lost, don't remember seeing anything plastered over the news wires so pretty sure they did.

Forum Member

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I wasn't in "Katy proper", just unincorporated Harris County with a Katy mailing. Now I'm in Cypress 8 miles up the road so not cheering Katy anymore anyway. Have to update the Profile with the new department and other fun stuff. And call all of the subscriptions to change addresses, change over the email from comcast to AT&T, change the business addresses. The fun just never stops...

Thread Information