Forum Member

You are incorrect when you say that the department won't or can't ask about it. You will fill out an extensive medical questionairre that will ask questions that begin with, "Have you ever......"

To tell a candidate to lie is against everything we stand for as firefighters. Are our standards so low that it is acceptable to tell someone it is OK to lie to get the job?

Lastly, most departments (at least here on the West Coast) conduct a very extensive background examination coupled with a polygraph examination.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Forum Member

You know I am not on a department yet. But I do know a few things. Every department looks for a few things Honesty is one of the biggest. If you have to hide anything to get a job as a Firefighter. In my option your not right for the job you lied to get it. You didn't earn it and you don't deserve it.
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member

i really don't feel like you are /hiding/ anything. You are only exercising your right as a patient. Again, I'm sure there is a law/regulation regarding this depending on the state or local government. I don't advocate lying (and not really sure that any of my statements ever said to), but i do feel that there are personal aspects of one's life that do not need mentioning in a job interview or hiring process.

Someone seeking help for mild depression should not be completely herded out of the process, and to say that they should is silly.

Yes, not everyone should be a fire fighter, i agree, and someone with serious anxiety, panic attacks, or crippling depression should seek employment elsewhere. But for someone suffering for a short time with PTSD after coming back from the war, someone going through a divorce and needs some help, or even someone dealing with a death in the family. These are cases where people are put on mild doses of anti depressants and come off of them after the problems have cleared.

Should they be disqualified?

Forum Member

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by peterbound View Post
    i really don't feel like you are /hiding/ anything. You are only exercising your right as a patient. Again, I'm sure there is a law/regulation regarding this depending on the state or local government. I don't advocate lying (and not really sure that any of my statements ever said to), but i do feel that there are personal aspects of one's life that do not need mentioning in a job interview or hiring process.

Someone seeking help for mild depression should not be completely herded out of the process, and to say that they should is silly.

Yes, not everyone should be a fire fighter, i agree, and someone with serious anxiety, panic attacks, or crippling depression should seek employment elsewhere. But for someone suffering for a short time with PTSD after coming back from the war, someone going through a divorce and needs some help, or even someone dealing with a death in the family. These are cases where people are put on mild doses of anti depressants and come off of them after the problems have cleared.

Should they be disqualified?

Peterbound get you head out of your rear and listen to what these folks are saying.

If you apply to become a firefighter and fill out the application and also the medical history section and fail to list and or falsify anything, this can be grounds for you to be passed over and your application be tossed!

Taking a medical physical for the fire and or police services, will indicate to the department if you are physically able to meet the rigors of firefighting. We will not hire anyone who has heart, respiratory, any social diseases problems and those who are not stable. We also conduct a psychiatric exam by a Doctor of Psychiatry to be certain that the member can deal with everything we run into.

This isn't a Don't Ask - Don't Tell situation!!!!

Banned

If you have a condition that is treated through medication and there are no side effects of the medication that would hinder your performance, don’t say a darn thing. It looks like Jonnee is throwing stones in a glass house. Who is he to play God in this forum?

Go for it, get the job, and move on with your life.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tipys View Post
    You know I am not on a department yet. But I do know a few things. Every department looks for a few things Honesty is one of the biggest. If you have to hide anything to get a job as a Firefighter. In my option your not right for the job you lied to get it. You didn't earn it and you don't deserve it.

You should add future 40%er to your signature!
    Did you know Martin Luther King, Jr was a republican?

Forum Member

If you list on your background and psych information that you have seen a psychologist in the past, or been on medication, the psychologist who interviews you is going to want to know why. He may want to talk to your doctor. If your medical insurance paid the bill there is a record. In the process you will sign off your rights and they can look at anything they want. The review and evaluation could have an affect on your being considered to wear the badge.

I talked to a psychiatrist about this recently. I asked him, “You feel the need to go see a professional about an emotional issue or something else pertaining to your mental health. So you seek treatment. Then, you find out later this treatment could affect your getting a badge. Doesn’t seem fair.” He agreed it wasn’t fair but unfortunately that’s the way it is.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Thread Information