Forum Member

Post Portland Oregon Hiring

I just sarting a thread for anyone that is going to be applying for portland oregon. If anyone out there has tested with them or works there then please contribute. Everyone feel free to post anything you might know about the department. It is my dream department

Forum Member

Does anybody know if you need to hand in the application in person, or do they accept applications through the mail? The Department's website is unclear on this. Thanks,

Forum Member

Default portland

why dont you just apply online.

Forum Member

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by RMRS View Post
    Does anybody know if you need to hand in the application in person, or do they accept applications through the mail? The Department's website is unclear on this. Thanks,

Give me your hand sonny. I will help you along and across the street.

If I can do a search on the internet for the information you should be able to do the same.

http://www.portlandonline.com/fire/

Picture Your Future with Portland Fire & Rescue!

Applications will be available beginning on January 11, 2010 at 8:00 am and will close on January 25, 2010 at 4:30 pm for the positions of Firefighter EMT and Firefighter Trainee. The video-based test will be held February 18, 2010.

NOTE: PF&R WILL ACCEPT 4,000 APPLICATIONS DURING OPEN ENROLLMENT -- 2,500 FOR FIREFIGHTER TRAINEE AND 1,500 FOR FIREFIGHTER EMT. BE PROMPT!!
    Applications will be available online at http://www.ci.portland.or.us/jobs or at the following locations:

Portland Fire & Rescue Training & Safety Division
    4800 NE 122nd Avenue
    Portland, OR 97230
    8:00 am – 4:30 pm

Portland Fire & Rescue Administrative Office
    55 SW Ash Street
    Portland, OR 97204

Portland Bureau of Human Resources Application Center
    Portland Building
    1120 SW 5th Avenue
    Portland, OR 97204

Please submit applications to:
    Portland Bureau of Human Resources
    1120 SW 5th Avenue, Room #404
    Portland, Oregon 97204
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Thanks for the help. The announcement doesn't actually specify that applications are accepted online, only that they are available online, and it somewhat implied to me that they need to be handed in at Portland's Bureau of Human Resources. Since many departments require that applications are handed in in-person, I wanted to make sure, since I live out of state.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RMRS View Post
    Thanks for the help. The announcement doesn't actually specify that applications are accepted online, only that they are available online, and it somewhat implied to me that they need to be handed in at Portland's Bureau of Human Resources. Since many departments require that applications are handed in in-person, I wanted to make sure, since I live out of state.
    Did you not read the last thing in red stating that where they are to submitted ???

Plain and simple.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Did you not read the last thing in red stating that where they are to submitted ???

Plain and simple.
    The last paragraph only states that they can be "submitted" at that location.
    Since I didn't know at the time that applications could be completed online, I wanted to make sure that applications will be "accepted" through the mail, and not just in person, which is a common requirement of many fire departments. I would call this being prepared, but I'm sure you have a different opinion. I don't know why this is so hard for you to understand. But once again, thanks for all of your help!

Forum Member

RMRS, I wish I could give you a definate answer but I can't and these things are so important I would't want to guess and be wrong. I have an assumption but won't make that here. Get a hold of the recruiter first thing in the morning and ask what needs to happen, his number is on the bureau website. Good luck to everyone applying!

Forum Member

If you haven't looked at the job announcement yet, you can apply online or submit a paper application. Online apps are easy and they are linked in the job announcement, just have to choose which application (Firefighter/EMT or trainee) and then at the very bottom there is a link to start the application. Good luck to all of you getting ready to enter the process.

3rdfloor also posted the job announcement in another thread of its own

Forum Member

i just applied for ff trainee online and the application took me about 10 minutes, it was really easy. Good luck to the rest of you for whichever position you apply.

Forum Member

I am currently in my EMT-B Class and will be Minnesota and Nationally Registered EMT-B when I take my NREMT-B Exam come August sometime. I just applied for the Firefighter Trainee. Will I be able to "skip" the EMT classroom portion in the future if offered a job or will I need to go through it again?

Thank you.

I like milk...

Hey question guys... Are we going to get anything confirming that we should go to the test on the 18th? I got the email saying they got my app but... Now what?

Forum Member

hey ff173 i believe you can skip the emt portion becasue i am an emt in ca and the recruiting officer told me that i just have to get my reciprocity and if i can do that(which most states can) then i dont have to take the emt

Forum Member

Got my on line application in. I wonder how long it will take for them to get the 1500 for the FF/EMT recruitment,not long I bet. I know alot of people that have been waiting to take this test myself included. Portland is a great department and is worth doing whatever it takes to make the list. Good luck to all of you!

Forum Member

Before you guys think or say that the EMS portion can be waved or accepted, you best check with the department(s) which you are applting for to see what they have to say.

I know in Virginia, unless you are a national certified Paramedic, and the State of Virginia will look very close at it, just being a EMT don't cut it. You stiil have to take the course, if you get that far and are hired.

Forum Member

Questions about reciprocity can be directed to the Oregon Health Division. http://www.oregon.gov/DHS/ph/ems/certific/index.shtml We hire out of state personell all the time and most don't have a huge problem getting reciprocity. That said there are issues from time to time so check with the health division.

And to the poster who asked if they would have to take the EMT course if hired, not likely as long as you have your cert and can get reciprocity. Here is the Health Divison page discussing reciprocity http://www.oregon.gov/DHS/ph/ems/certific/recip.shtml

Forum Member

I filled out the FF/Trainee application online. All I had to do was basically my name, address, SS number, and phone number. No background or history.

Was that all I had to do, or did I miss something? I'm a bit concerned that I might have messed something up.

Forum Member

jblaski nah ur good that was all i had to do as well. u should have gotten an email that confirmed your submission

Forum Member

Thanks Stammy. I made it a few steps forward in the process back in '05(04?). And am excited to try and get back for another go at it. Was worried I might have blown a chance.

Forum Member

I like milk...

Do you know of a place we can store our backpacks when we come down for the test? I am taking the train down like I did two years ago so I wont have a place to lock it up. I think there was someone who let us pile our bags in a corner and watched them for us two years ago.

Thanks for the FAQ 3edfloor. Answered my big question!

Forum Member

Frankly, we're not going to take the responsibility this time. There's just too much risk in guarding other peoples' property.

Perhaps the train station has lockers?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jblaski View Post
    Thanks Stammy. I made it a few steps forward in the process back in '05(04?). And am excited to try and get back for another go at it. Was worried I might have blown a chance.
    hey stammy / jblaski,

i had the same concern.... glad to hear that was all the online application required! take care, guys!

Forum Member

Does anyone know if they will choose the same amount from the FF/EMT-Paramedic Group and from FF Recruit Group? Does being a Paramedic give you an advantage? I did not see any preference points for it online. Thanks for you help.

Forum Member

I am signed up too for the FF trainee, in the FAQ section of the Portland FD web-site is says there are potentially 45 openings. So with 2,500 applications potentially being recieved do you think they will take the top 10%? (from the trainee group) and then that leaves 250 for the physical test. DOes this sound about right? Let me know, just curious.

Thread Information