Forum Member

Default I want to go to Medic School but no money

Ok, I know there's lots of people who really want to go to medic school but can't afford it. I'm one of them. How can this happen? I'm working in the ER and also a Volunteer Ambulance company and I still can't afford to go. I live with my girl, have car payments, cell phones, house bills..etc. Even if I get a loan to pay for school I still can't afford not to work, who will pay my bills?
    There's no other way but to get hired on the fire dept and have them send me to Medic school. Will that affect my hire when they(board) see that I've been an EMT for 5yrs and I'm not a medic yet?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnguillen68 View Post
    Ok, I know there's lots of people who really want to go to medic school but can't afford it. I'm one of them. How can this happen? I'm working in the ER and also a Volunteer Ambulance company and I still can't afford to go. I live with my girl, have car payments, cell phones, house bills..etc. Even if I get a loan to pay for school I still can't afford not to work, who will pay my bills?
    There's no other way but to get hired on the fire dept and have them send me to Medic school. Will that affect my hire when they(board) see that I've been an EMT for 5yrs and I'm not a medic yet?

Have you applied for financial aid?

www.fafsa.ed.gov

Forum Member

Go to school during the day and work in the ER on the nights and weekends.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JMac73 View Post
    Have you applied for financial aid?

www.fafsa.ed.gov
    That's definitely a great first step.

In addition to Fafsa, there are scholarships, grant money, and state money available specifically for your state. Some of the federal/state grants and scholarships aren't even loans to pay back, just awarded. Look everywhere, or PM me your state and I'll help look. Fafsa is the first step though, and do it fast. The sooner you apply, the more money is still available.

Also, go talk to a financial aid counselor at your school. They probably have $500 worth of ex-trees worth of paperwork advertising different programs.

I'm at the same place you are man, just trying to figure out how to pay for school, live, help my children eat, volunteer, etc. all at the same time.

MembersZone Subscriber

It is very difficult to pull off Medic school with bills, but it can be done. During medic school I was too young to be hired on @ any emergency services so I worked convalescent EMS at night and on the weekends when I didn't have clinicals. This got me by until I could graduate and gave me motivation all at the same time. Sleeping in EMS units for the rest of my life was definately motivation enough to get my medic license so I could actually sleep in a bed at night! Haha! Good luck!

Forum Member

If you make over a certain amount, FAFSA won't be much help. I'm going through that right now. If you're considered low-income, the school's/college's financial aid office will have information on government education grants. There are also a lot of scholarships available, as someone already said.
    It's probably best that you contact the school directly, or perhaps do some Google research.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

What are the levels of EMS in your state? Here in NY we have AEMT'S who can do almost everything a medic can do with the exceptions of a few drugs. They just have to call the county medical control for orders first. The training is free.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default medic school

Our department has a live in program for students going to school or taking medic class. The medic class if a memebr of a department in the county is free and they offer the class every year to the EMT-I level and every other year offer the I to P bridge class. If interested email co3@allconet.org

MembersZone Subscriber

This may help. http://www.nationalemsacademy.com/mediclinks.html
    The school is part of Acadian Ambulance Service, located in south Louisiana.

Forum Member

You might look at the nationa Guard. Depending on your state ehy have 1oo% tuition paid. check then out at

www.1800goguard.com

Forum Member

There are ways to do it if you sacrifice and put your mind to it. Do you really need a cell phone? How about selling your car and driving something that does not require a car payment? I agree with the recommendation to take out student loans. It iwll certainly take a great deal of sacrifice and commitment on both of your part.

My wife graduated college with $75,000 in student loans in her quest to become a physical therapist. It's the cost of doing business. The rest of the "Professions" require schooling, why is this any different? When you think about it, becomming a paramedic requires a relatively small amount of school when you compare it to other professions such as becomming a teacher, a lawyer, or a pharmacist.

Good luck with your decision.....
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Thread Information