Forum Member

Default What to ask the applicant?

I知 seeking a few suggestions fromthe great minds here.

I'm one of a three member committee established to make a recommendation to fill one career position. What I知 looking for is advice on what questions to ask during the oral interview portion and then how to rate those answers for a fair comparison.

Some background: Combination department of 10 career, 20 or so volunteers and a number of part time (Paid) from outside departments. We provide fire/rescue/paramedic ambulance service. Population 18K, 15 square miles, two stations, approximately 1500+ calls a year.

This opening was created by a career member leaving to take a new job. It was decided that this position will be filled from the volunteer or part time personnel pool. Two new positions are expected to be created some time later this year and those will be open to outside applicant.

Any suggestions are welcome or a format to follow would be a great help.
    Thanks.

Forum Member

As them what the introductory paragraph in a biography about them would state. There answer will show how they view themselves, the image they want to portray to others, and give you an insight into their personal goals.

I have sat on a few Eagle Scout interview boards in the past, this was my favorite question.

MembersZone Subscriber

There are some questions that cannot be asked by law, and some others that would be great questions to ask. We are a combination department as well and I can send you all that I have, it might help, it might not.

PM with an email address.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Just a few quick ones that come to mind:

-Why do you want the position
    -What have you done to prepare yourself for this position
    -How well do they work as part of a team
    -Some sort of question to gauge how they handle problems, such as if they have a problem with another firefighter, how do they handle it (can make it as simple or complex as your organization needs)
    -How they would envision spending their day on the job
    -How well they deal with stress

There's alot better ones out there, but those just came to mind.
    FTM-PTB-RFB
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Just like any candidate out there I'm going to direct you to these two websites:
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com
    www.eatstress.com

Get ahold of Chief Lepore, he has some good examples of templates used for ratings sheets.
    Just because you are hiring internally from your volunteer pool, I suggest you ask the question "What do you know about the district/department?" I imagine the answers will give you a good impression of what each member really does know about the place they've been responding in.

Banned

Oh my favorite. What makes you the most qualified person for the position.

And this one is good as well. You are having a problem with a fellow fire fighter. He is constantly harassing you and putting you down. How do you handle this situation?

And then there is this. Your superior has given you an order to do something you feel is inappropriate. What do you do?

Some more

Why do you want to work for this organization?
    Are you a team player? Explain?
    Explain how you would be an asset to this organization.
    What irritates you about co-workers?
    Tell me about your dream job.
    Tell me about your ability to work under pressure.
    Describe your management style.
    Tell me what you weaknesses are.
    What are your strengths?
    What qualities do you look for in a boss?

Do you prefer to socialize in large groups or small groups?

In all likelihood the candidate has taken a test to prove his knowledge and skills of the job. You need to find out about the character of the person. Is he likable and does he fit in. Does he have leadership qualities? These are the thing to ask.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by confire View Post
    I知 seeking a few suggestions fromthe great minds here.

I'm one of a three member committee established to make a recommendation to fill one career position. What I知 looking for is advice on what questions to ask during the oral interview portion and then how to rate those answers for a fair comparison.

Some background: Combination department of 10 career, 20 or so volunteers and a number of part time (Paid) from outside departments. We provide fire/rescue/paramedic ambulance service. Population 18K, 15 square miles, two stations, approximately 1500+ calls a year.

This opening was created by a career member leaving to take a new job. It was decided that this position will be filled from the volunteer or part time personnel pool. Two new positions are expected to be created some time later this year and those will be open to outside applicant.

Any suggestions are welcome or a format to follow would be a great help.
    Thanks.
    1. As a volunteer or part-time Fireman what makes you feel you are now qualified to become a career Fireman and what aspects do you feel will be different from your current position in this organization?

2. What have you done to prepare yourself to be a career Fireman?

3. You are with another senior career fireman inside the engine when he backs into another car while you are out getting groceries. He tells you not to say anything and that it didn't leave a mark. Don't worry about it he says. What do you do?

4. Give a tactical scenario with realistic expectations and responsibilities for a career Fireman in your department. See how he would perform.

Ask all candidates the same questions exactly. Make a scoring sheet with points that you would like to see mentioned. You get points for each of those points hit. Their you have it.

Forum Member

Do you like movies with gladiators in them?

Have you ever been in a men's locker room?
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BKDRAFT View Post
    1. As a volunteer or part-time Fireman what makes you feel you are now qualified to become a career Fireman and what aspects do you feel will be different from your current position in this organization?

2. What have you done to prepare yourself to be a career Fireman?

3. You are with another senior career fireman inside the engine when he backs into another car while you are out getting groceries. He tells you not to say anything and that it didn't leave a mark. Don't worry about it he says. What do you do?

4. Give a tactical scenario with realistic expectations and responsibilities for a career Fireman in your department. See how he would perform.

Ask all candidates the same questions exactly. Make a scoring sheet with points that you would like to see mentioned. You get points for each of those points hit. Their you have it.

I like #3, Great question...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by johnny46 View Post

You ever been in a ****pit before?
    You ever seen a grown man naked?
    Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnny46 View Post

滴ave you every been in a Turkish prison (Airplane 1980)

Thanks for some great suggestion.
    I believe it痴 even more difficult to remain impartial when you know the applicants. The answers to some of these questions may be of help. Although I知 still struggling with a rating system.

Special thanks goes out to Dickey for his help.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by confire View Post

Special thanks goes out to Dickey for his help.
    Free of charge man!! I do like Crown Royal.....

famous last words "...hold my beer, watch this!"
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Just a thought but since you're hiring for a combination dept you might consider asking in-depth and feeling out their attitudes towards volunteers. A guy might be very skilled fireground wise but have a bad attitude toward volunteers and working with them, and may soon find his "awesome career badassness" self working solo because he's alienated all your volunteers.

If he's lookin to have a chip on his shoulder and cop the "I'm a career guy now, BOW before me" attitude, there are plenty of all-career departments for that individual to apply to, that would probably be a better fit for their personality.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Thread Information