Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by RFD21C
    Usually the "gig List" has on it items such a broken or loose brackets, odd noises noted during operations, broken handles, cab doors that are hard to close/open, mirrors that are shaking and cant be tightened, leaking windows or cab doors, etc. The things that do not warrant removal from service. Usually it is up to the driver to check the gig list when we pick it up to see if these items have been fixed. Items that have not been fixed the officer will ask the shop about. Often times the shop is very busy and the mechanics are just trying to get the units back on the street. So the non-important items are not fixed.
    So the non-important items are not fixed.

As a mechanic, I guess I look at it at a different angle. If there is a problem, even with a window that won't roll up or down all the way, I will fix it. If a door or compartment door won't open or close easily, it will.

While all the above may be minor to your mechanics, I see a bigger picture. I know my FF's like to see everything working as they should. And with that, they know that I will do what I can to make sure that happens.

I have respect for what my FF's do, and anything I can do to make them happy or more comfortable, I will do. In turn, most of the stations I go to will offer me a pop or food for just being there. They appreciate that I will fix whatever is needed to make their job easier, or keep them from doing a change over.

There's a difference between doing your job with pride, and doing it to get a paycheck.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

I understand your point completely and agree bro. I by nomeans think that not fixing everything is correct. Or mechanics and fleet captain do everything they can just to keep the trucks running and inservice whilie maitaining a budget. write wrong or indifferent they dont fix everything. My fire department is a down and ditry get the job done type of department. The culture of the firefighter and officers on the line is to do our jobs with up ever the city gives us. If they give us a 1940 pickup truck with a slide in unit guess what that is what we ride and fight fire with. The truck might not have working A/C or the door leaks to the point you get wet but, i will bet you we have some of the most aggressive hardcore fireman riding those trucks. We (the line guys) simpily dont have any control over the maintance of our fleet so we dont get upset about it, however that doesnt stop us from b******* about it, hahah. We have a job to do and a duty to the citizens. Us not running a truck because of a minor comfort issue is a slight burden however it by nomeans am going to deter me or my brothers from doing our jobs.

Forum Member

I'd say repair them ASAP.

Forum Member

like they said no real percentage, but when one of ours goes out, we usually send for a replacement. now if for some weird reason all or the main ones go out, we will take the unit out of service till they are replaced

This will more than likely give you guys a giggle. But it miffed me to no end today.

When I just started to diagnose a no Telma issue on a truck, dispatch calls me and tells me an engine is OOS, and that the light bar isn't working correctly. OK, I'll check it out.
    When I get there (25 minutes drive time), I had the driver show me the problem. He turned on the light bar, and the 2 center mars type lights were working, and the 6 rotators were working just fine (3 on each side of the mars lights). A little confused, I asked what the problem was. He said to look closely at the lights at the ends of the light bar, "the flashing lights are not working like they are supposed to".

Before I strangled the guy, I asked him if he showed this to the Capt. before going OOS. He said no, but told the Capt. that there was a problem with the light bar, and he agreed that if there is a problem, then they should be OOS.

When I had the Capt. come out to look at the light bar, he said "Awesome, you got it fixed". I told him I didn't fix anything, and showed him what the driver was talking about. The Capt. was speechless for a few seconds, then apologized for wasting my time for not checking it himself.

To say I was "miffed" over the whole thing, is being as polite as possible.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

MembersZone Subscriber

Gotta love the ones that are on top of their game. That rates up there with "the strobes are out." When you get there and find the reason the strobes are out is because the switch to the strobes is turned off.

Thread Information