1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Exclamation Transfer of training question

    I am currently an EMT-IV Tech and Vol Fireman in the state of TN. I am thinking about moving to Michigan and was wondering if any of my training that i have recieved here in TN will carry over to Michigan or will I have to do it all over again.

    Fortantly I am rather new to the Fire scene and do not have an extensive amount of training yet however im sure i will find it just a little annoying to have to repeat what training i do have.

    Thank you for your time and responses.

  2. #2
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2009

    Default Training

    As far as your EMS certification(s), you will need to contact the agency that is responsible for EMS certifications in the state you are moving to, to find out if they will accept it.

    Same goes for any fire certification(s) that you may have.

    Most fire and EMS certification agencies usually have a policy in place on accepting out of state certifications. They will probably request documentation of your training and determine if it is comparable to their state standards.

    Before leaving your state, ensure you have a copy of all your EMS and fire certifications. While you may have some of them in your personal files, you may want to get a copy of any that your fire and/or EMS organization keep in their records.

  3. #3
    55 Years & Still Rolling
    hwoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

    Thumbs up Before You Move..........

    While you are still in TN, find out from your State Training Agency if they can provide National Pro Board Certification for any/all of your Training that you have as of this time. If so, get it. That would be a good starting point......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

    IACOJ Budget Analyst

    I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.


  4. #4
    Forum Member
    gunnyv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    SE MI


    Michigan does not recognize fire training certifications from anywhere else. I believe that it is possible to challenge the test if you are a member of a dept, but it costs over $1K per cert. Here's the link to the state's Office of Firefighter Training:

    National Registry is accepted for EMS certifications, but the state also has it's own EMS licensing. By submitting an NREMT card, you can get a MI EMT license. EMT levels her are EMT-B, EMT-I, and EMT-A (paramedic), although the EMT-I is no longer taught.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. College credit for firefighter training
    By MikeWard in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-13-2012, 12:47 PM
  2. Proposed NFPA 1001 changes for 2007
    By SWLAFireDawg in forum Volunteer Forum
    Replies: 83
    Last Post: 06-23-2007, 05:42 PM
  3. Not everybody learned from Lairdsville.....
    By firenresq77 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 209
    Last Post: 03-16-2007, 04:54 PM
  4. Training
    By backdraft663 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-06-2004, 10:56 AM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-15-2001, 11:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register