Forum Member

Default What kind of lights do I need to get?

I got you, not POV :-)

Anyway we are going to put to scene lights on rescue and have decided between 3 of them. And was wounding which ones you all liked the best and why? Or maybe you have somthing else in mind, let me know. They must be 12v running off of rescue alternator.

1. Havis Sheilds Magnafire 3000 150w 12v
    2. FRC Focus 12v HID
    3. FRC Optimum 12v HID

Forum Member

I'm not a fan of 12v scene lights, so I will ask this question instead.

If it's for a rescue, does it have a generator that you can use with 120v or 240v accessories???

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

MembersZone Subscriber

Aside from opinions (which are good advice often) did you compare lumens and amp draw of the three? Also, light patterns are probably different, for example FRC Focus (120/240V that I know and I assume the 12v do too) have a 50/50 reflector-putting light in two distinct zones

Forum Member

What we did was build our own (had a box built) service (rescue) unit. It has the ISO rated generator and required 120 detachable tripod lights. The problem is on minor door pops ect. It requires a team member to start the generator from a rear compartment, conecting and turning on, then direct lighting. With that being said we have two spots at the front of the unit (both sides of the box, behind the cab) that we would like to place bottom raising 12v floods. That way we have enough light to do minor calls with out bring the big guns out. This is a volunteer department, that at times man power is not optimal. I was a supervisor at the local ambulance service for years, and their rescue has 2 magnafire 3000 set up this way. It was a lot easier for me to pull up flip a toggle, turn the light to the door, and pop the door. Also this gives us a back if the gererator should fail, it will give us enough light to work with. And yes I have compared the lumins, amps, etc. of many that are on the market. These three seam to be the best. I have asked FRC what the difference of the optimum and focus 150w 12v as they both are rated at 11,250 lumins and 12.5 amp. I was just wounding if anyone had an opinion?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by medicd View Post
    What we did was build our own (had a box built) service (rescue) unit. It has the ISO rated generator and required 120 detachable tripod lights. The problem is on minor door pops ect. It requires a team member to start the generator from a rear compartment, conecting and turning on, then direct lighting. With that being said we have two spots at the front of the unit (both sides of the box, behind the cab) that we would like to place bottom raising 12v floods. That way we have enough light to do minor calls with out bring the big guns out. This is a volunteer department, that at times man power is not optimal. I was a supervisor at the local ambulance service for years, and their rescue has 2 magnafire 3000 set up this way. It was a lot easier for me to pull up flip a toggle, turn the light to the door, and pop the door. Also this gives us a back if the gererator should fail, it will give us enough light to work with. And yes I have compared the lumins, amps, etc. of many that are on the market. These three seam to be the best. I have asked FRC what the difference of the optimum and focus 150w 12v as they both are rated at 11,250 lumins and 12.5 amp. I was just wounding if anyone had an opinion?
    We put 3 FRC Optimum 12V 150W HID lights on our Toyne engine. Two are pole mounted on the back of the cab (can be extended but not removed), and one brow light on the front of the cab. The only drawback is that they take 30 - 45 seconds to come up to full brightness. Our original idea was to use an inverter (12VDC to 120VAC) and go with standard 500W quartz lights, the same as we have on our Quality. Toyne and FRC both suggested the HID lights as an alternative. So far they haven't presented any problems and we're happy with them.

MembersZone Subscriber

I know this outside of the box, but have you considered the normal 500 watt stick light and an inverter. It allows for a flip of the switch and instant lights. To me it would boil down to cost.

Our meduim rescue has two 12v stick lights on the front of the box. They work well, they have a flood and spot combination light in them. Flip the switch up for spot and down for flood.
    Last edited by rm1524; 01-10-2010 at 09:21 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have the FRC Optimum HID on as our brow light on our Toyne Rescue Pumper, as CE11 notes it takes half a minute to be at full illumination, but thats really minor. If the operator flips the light on right after the parking brake, you still have light to safely walk around and by the time you're ready to do anything, full illumination. Our "plan" is to fire up the light as we're roll in to the scene, though I can only say this has happened once on my shift while I when I was present, as there are lots of things going on and through our brains as we're making that final approach. Needless to say, we like the HID Optimum light a lot. I can't remember what the other four 12 V body lights are, I'll check later today.

Thread Information