Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Streamlight Vulcan LED

Anyone have the Streamlight Vulcan LED handlight???

If so, one of my fireman is having trouble with his... wondering if someone could help?

He says when he got it, the main light would come on "instantly" with the toggle switch.

Now, it has gone into one of the "programs" installed in the multi-program switch, and you must hold the toggle switch in either direction for up to 10 seconds to make the main light come on.

We have looked at the directions and cycled thru all of the prgrams, but can't get the "instant-on" factory setting feature back.

Anyone else have this problem, if so how did you get it to change back, or will it???

Can't wait 10 seconds for a light to come on when you need/want it NOW...

Thanks alot.

PC

Nevermind, I think he figured it out... or just got lucky. Dont' touch anything!! Sheesh. I guess when a flashlight is smarter than you, its time to retire.
    Last edited by PUMPERCAPTAIN; 01-09-2010 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Fixed the problem

Forum Member

This is straight out of the manual. He needs to reprogram over whatever he did.

Optional User Programmable Selection
    You may choose to program the Fire Vulcan® LED to start in a different mode than the factory
    set startup configuration (mode 1).
    Turn the Fire Vulcan® LED “ON”
    and select the desired mode (2, 3,
    or 4).
    Push and hold the switch (in the
    same direction used to select the
    mode) until all lights extinguish,
    then release (this takes
    approximately 30 seconds).
    The next time the switch is pushed
    (in the direction programmed), the
    light will start in the programmed
    mode. Modes 1, 2, 3, and 4 may still be selected temporarily by pressing and holding the
    switch until the desired mode is lighted, then releasing.
    Repeat the procedure to program the other side switch position if desired.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

That didn't post all the way. Here is a link to the manual.
    http://www.streamlight.com/documents...lcanLED_OP.pdf
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Have you tried contacting a Streamlight dealer or the Factory Tech line? T.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Have you tried contacting a Streamlight dealer or the Factory Tech line? T.C.
    That would been my first thing if I had one that was doing dumb stuff.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

We found a PDF file online of the instructions and I am pretty sure we did what they said (and what you posted, thanks) and it would not go back to the "factory setting" which was instant on... but after we decided he would just call Streamlight and pretty much gave up on it, he came over and had it working the way he wanted...

I like the light, thinking of getting one for myself. I have one of the old Vulcan's that I modified... took the little halogen bulb out and put in a 6 volt glass halogen spot light many years ago... made the light heavier but it has been a great light for most of my career... I think Streamlight should reconsider the little bulb they put in them and do what I did... just my thoughts anyway... But now LED has arrived and I'm sure will take the place of the halogen sooner or later.

The LED version is a pretty good deal it looks like... much lighter and the light is brighter than my 6 volt spot modification...

Thanks to everyone who posted...

Stay safe (and warm) eveyrone...

PC

A Great place USA, which means not West Coast...!

Quote Originally Posted by PUMPERCAPTAIN View Post
    We found a PDF file online of the instructions and I am pretty sure we did what they said (and what you posted, thanks) and it would not go back to the "factory setting" which was instant on... but after we decided he would just call Streamlight and pretty much gave up on it, he came over and had it working the way he wanted...

I like the light, thinking of getting one for myself. I have one of the old Vulcan's that I modified... took the little halogen bulb out and put in a 6 volt glass halogen spot light many years ago... made the light heavier but it has been a great light for most of my career... I think Streamlight should reconsider the little bulb they put in them and do what I did... just my thoughts anyway... But now LED has arrived and I'm sure will take the place of the halogen sooner or later.

The LED version is a pretty good deal it looks like... much lighter and the light is brighter than my 6 volt spot modification...

Thanks to everyone who posted...

Stay safe (and warm) eveyrone...

PC
    I have a Halogen bulb in my Vulcan light. Where do I buy the "6 volt spot modification." Could I buy it at any hardware store? What does the 6 volt do...does it make the light a lot brighter? Is it hard to install? How much does a 6 volt buld cost about? Thanks
    FDNY 343 9/11/01 WILL Never Forget!

(W-6)

"We Lucky Few We Band of Brothers." William Shakespeare

"let no man's ghost return to say his training let him down. "

D-P-T

Forum Member

Streamlight have customer service that's second to none in the industry.... truly outstanding.

I have six Streamlight flashlights [I'm a "flashaholic"] and have had small to mediocre issue with four of them over the years. Streamlight have replaced three [two were obsolete and replaced by newer/similar models] and repaired one without a single questioned asked. All of them were three or more years old prior to sending them in to Streamlight.

Like I sid... Streamlight's customer service is brilliant!

Forum Member

Truck Six,

The bulb is just a 6 volt spot light I got at NAPA. Its like this one-

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...GRHJK6NprIodQE

I had one of these lights and the battery gave out.

http://www.alcorp.com/al2000.HTM

The battery cost nearly as much as the light, so I got to looking at the bulb and my Vulcan that had the halogen bulb at the time, and the filament was bent, which totally messed up the beam... I took both lights apart and discovered the 6 volt lantern bulb in the Advanced light would fit in the Vulcan perfectly, making a much better and more rugged hand light.

I just changed the wires around a bit and put it all back together. Works great.

I have been using this light for years, and it has never let me down. The beam is much better than the bulb that comes with the light. As I said, I think Streamlight missed the boat by not putting a glass bulb in these lights.

But now the LED has come along and I think it is superior to my older halogen light I have used for years... Haven't tried it personaly in a fire, but from looking at my coworkers light and fooling around with it at the firehouse, I think it will be a better light.

I would be more than happy to send you some pics of this modification if your interested... My light is at the firehouse, so you will have to let me know in advance so I can bring it home or take pics of it while I'm at work.

Its not hard to modify at all. Takes about 15 minutes.

PC

A Great place USA, which means not West Coast...!

If you do not mind taking a few pics that would be awesome. Thanks for your time bro.
    FDNY 343 9/11/01 WILL Never Forget!

(W-6)

"We Lucky Few We Band of Brothers." William Shakespeare

"let no man's ghost return to say his training let him down. "

D-P-T

Forum Member

ok... I go back on this Saturday... I will take some pics of my light then if thats not to long...

Can I post them here, or do I need to send them to your email?

Haven't been on the forums for a long time, and not sure if you can post pics here... I guess you can since I see the paperclip up on top. I will try and post them here Saturday...

Forum Member

Truck Six,

Here are the pics. Hope this works... Let me know if you have any more questions...

The problem I had with the bulb that came with the Vulcan is, I dropped it or banged it into something and the filament became bent to one side, which fouled up the beam really bad... so I put the glass spot light in and it worked alot better than the bulb did even when it was new...

This is one that was laying around the firehouse I used to show the diff between the bulbs...

PC
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by PUMPERCAPTAIN; 01-23-2010 at 09:33 AM.

Thread Information