Forum Member

Default Flat vs Pick headed axes

I wanted to get people opinions on what they thought would be a better axe. A Flat headed or Pick headed. I am thinking of buying my own personal axe since my department bought some very cheap ones, and I am having touble deciding which one to buy. Any thoughts?

Forum Member

CHEAP?

Please Describe... I have never heard of any fire equipment that was cheap.

If find that fascinating...

If you're going to buy your own, be prepared to tick someone off.

I think I would go with the flat head so I could use it for chopping wood at home too.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Forum Member

All depends on what you think you will use it for the most. Two different tools with two different auxilliary functions.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Back In Black

I think you need at least one pick-head.

However, you'll probably want more then one flat-head to go with more then one halligan.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

I prefer the pick-head. If I know that there is going to be some beating going on I grab the sledge.

Forum Member

Flat Head... Pick Head is a Parade Ax. LOL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fiu400 View Post
    I wanted to get people opinions on what they thought would be a better axe. A Flat headed or Pick headed. I am thinking of buying my own personal axe since my department bought some very cheap ones, and I am having touble deciding which one to buy. Any thoughts?
    I have used a pick from www.firefighteraxe.com for some time now. It's the best axe I have ever used.

MembersZone Subscriber

^^^^ Me to. I agree 100%.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

On my career FD EVERYONE that gets off a rig, engine, truck, quint, or ambulance, carries a pick head axe stuffed in his gut belt. Besides the obvious use for forcible entry, ventilation and overhaul, it is a part of our bailout kit.

If we need a flathead axe it is mated with the Halligan and when we have a 3 man quint the officer takes that and i take the hook and can, when we have a 4 man quint the other firefighter takes the irons.

I am amazed at the number of people that continue to keep coming on here asking about buying their own tools. I can see buying a screw driver or multi-tool or knife or flashlight. Heck I've done that myself. But axes, Halligans, hooks and such are the FD's responsibility to supply. What's next? You don't like the nozzles or SCBA your FD uses so you buy your own?
    Last edited by FyredUp; 01-10-2010 at 05:08 PM.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    I am amazed at the number of people that continue to keep coming on here asking about buying their own tools. I can see buying a screw driver or multi-tool or knife or flashlight. Heck I've done that myself. But axes, Halligans, hooks and such are the FD's responsibility to supply. What's next? You don't like the nozzles or SCBA your FD uses so you buy your own?
    I agree. The only tools you should need to buy for yourself are small hand tools you can put into your turnout pocket. If you have a problem with the axes your department uses then I would address it with your company officer or whoever purchases your equipment. What is wrong with the ones your department uses?

FyredUp, one or two members of my department actually do have their own personal SCBA’s in there vehicle. The original idea was that they could be on scene fully geared up with SCBA included and ready for when the engine arrives on scene.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by KevinFFVFD View Post
    I agree. The only tools you should need to buy for yourself are small hand tools you can put into your turnout pocket. If you have a problem with the axes your department uses then I would address it with your company officer or whoever purchases your equipment. What is wrong with the ones your department uses?

FyredUp, one or two members of my department actually do have their own personal SCBA’s in there vehicle. The original idea was that they could be on scene fully geared up with SCBA included and ready for when the engine arrives on scene.

Um, I own my own SCBA too, I got it from a friend to use for teaching. Funny thing is I haven't had it out of the case since I got it. The only reason I got it was because I got it for free. It is an older Scott 2.2 and needs to be serviced and most likely updated. I may or may not ever get that done...I guess I just have things to spend my money on that seem more important to me than that.

If I was the fire chief I wouldn't allow my guys to use their own purchased SCBA UNLESS they proved to me they were having them tested and serviced at the same intervals the FD had their's done. I would want paperwork from the company doing the testing and servicing on file in the FD. No paperwork, no using the SCBA.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

MembersZone Subscriber

Um, I own my own SCBA too, I got it from a friend to use for teaching. Funny thing is I haven't had it out of the case since I got it. The only reason I got it was because I got it for free. It is an older Scott 2.2 and needs to be serviced and most likely updated. I may or may not ever get that done...I guess I just have things to spend my money on that seem more important to me than that.

If I was the fire chief I wouldn't allow my guys to use their own purchased SCBA UNLESS they proved to me they were having them tested and serviced at the same intervals the FD had their's done. I would want paperwork from the company doing the testing and servicing on file in the FD. No paperwork, no using the SCBA.
    I agree with you. I cannot recall exactly how they came about obtaining them. Like I said, the “original” idea was to be 100% ready to go once first engine got on scene. I do not know if they still use them or not. One of the guys who bought his own is actually our SCBA technician who is also a firefighter so I am pretty sure it is up to standard. I think he just bought the harness assembly and stuck one of the department bottles on it. I do not think the other guy still uses his. With me working so much I have not been able to be as active as I would like so I am out of the loop on some things.

Forum Member

Um, I own my own SCBA too, I got it from a friend to use for teaching.
    That is why some of us around here have personal SCBA. Once you do enough instructing with various agencies and start to make money doing it, using department packs is kind of frowned upon. They pay for themselves in the long run.

Not to say if I responded in my POV and happened to have a personal SCBA I wouldnt use it, but that wouldnt be the reason for buying it.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

So am I. If you don't like the tools the dept buys or how they are maintained it sounds like you need to make some noise so management realizes they are buying bad tools and that the personnel aren't properly maintaining the equipment.

Forum Member

Start yet another "what do you carry in your pockets" thread and look at how much crap people carry. Most could buy three axes for the price of all their pocket contents. All truckmen here are issued their own pickhead axe. I have seen a few that have bought their own. Whats the big deal? It's an axe, not an scba...

Forum Member

Why do you need to buy one of your own? Does your apparatus not have any?

Both the pick head and flat head are great tools, for different jobs.

What do you run a majority of your calls on? Commercial structures, residential structures, masonry or wood structural members?

Basic rookie Truck 101-

Going into a wood frame building, take the pick head. Use it for opening walls. Take it to a built-up roof (shingles, tar paper, membrane) and use to cut back built-up roofing material.

Going into a masonry building, take the flat head. Use it as a striking tool.

Forcible entry- take the flat head to use as a striking took with the halligan.

Again, why are we buying one for yourself?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FiremanLyman View Post
    Again, why are we buying one for yourself?

All the cool kids are doing it.
    IAFF

Forum Member
    A Great place USA, which means not West Coast...!

keep a 8 pound personal maul in my locker with all my gear. I taped it up with friction tape, and welded a piece of metal on the top so its easy to marry a halligan with it. At the start of the shift I throw it on the floor where my riding position is. If I am riding "irons" then I use it with the assigned tools (striking tool IE- flathead, sledge, or maul, halligan, and rabbit tool for commercial/high-rise), if I am riding "roof" position I carry that, a hook, and a saw. Only problem is my truck is ALS and it sometimes gets buried under all the bunker gear and ems jump bags in the cab which sucks.

picture of how I welded the metal on top-

(this is on a seldgehammer but you get the concept)

https://brotherhoodinstructors.sslpo...20_Married.jpg
    FDNY 343 9/11/01 WILL Never Forget!

(W-6)

"We Lucky Few We Band of Brothers." William Shakespeare

"let no man's ghost return to say his training let him down. "

D-P-T

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fiu400 View Post

Hey huckleberry, you didn't say if you are a hose jockey or truckie. If you are a hose jockey, you don't need an axe my friend.

If by chance you have achieved the giant step and are a truckie, then if and only if you must, buy a 8 pound pike head axe. The first thing to do is the remove, sand all the paint off the head and take steel wool and buff it down. Apply a thin coat of oil on the head and maintain it that way as long as you own it.

Otherwise be happy with what the department buys and use them accordantly.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    All the cool kids are doing it.
    must be the same cool kids that buy the plastic super firefighter door chocks too.

Forum Member

I own my own axe primarily so that I could get one with a shorter handle. I can personalize my own axe, know how it is used, and make sure it is maintained only by me.

I see where you guys are coming from though.

Forum Member

I don't see a problem with buying your own tools. Some departments just don't have the money to buy all the stuff.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    If you are a hose jockey, you don't need an axe my friend.
    Yeah, Engine men don't need an axe... I carry a maul when stretching hose.

the 4-1-4

I don't know, our engine guys all carry an axe, here. Granted it's a pick head, but all firefighting companies carry one for each member.
    If you're going to buy a tool for yourself, which I have no problem with, what soever, buy the right tool for what you want it for, and what your job is.

Personally speaking, I bought a TnT tool.

This tool is a good, across the board piece of equipment for me to carry. It's either twelve or thirteen pounds, and is no joke. People either love it or leave it; I love it.

It's just a recommendation, but this tool is well worth the money.

Know your job, know what is expected of you and know your tools.

Forum Member
    A Great place USA, which means not West Coast...!

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    I don't know, our engine guys all carry an axe, here. Granted it's a pick head, but all firefighting companies carry one for each member.
    If you're going to buy a tool for yourself, which I have no problem with, what soever, buy the right tool for what you want it for, and what your job is.

Personally speaking, I bought a TnT tool.

This tool is a good, across the board piece of equipment for me to carry. It's either twelve or thirteen pounds, and is no joke. People either love it or leave it; I love it.

It's just a recommendation, but this tool is well worth the money.

Know your job, know what is expected of you and know your tools.
    We put one of these on my truck companies and I love it. I have tried it out a few times and it preformed well above my expectations. Great tool.
    FDNY 343 9/11/01 WILL Never Forget!

(W-6)

"We Lucky Few We Band of Brothers." William Shakespeare

"let no man's ghost return to say his training let him down. "

D-P-T

Thread Information