Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Waiting for Libs to demand Reid's Resignation

Waiting for the lib outrage over Reid's racially insensitive remarks. After all, what he said is 10 times worse than what Trent Lott said.

Reid apologizes for 'no Negro dialect' comment
    By PHILIP ELLIOT, Associated Press Writer Philip Elliot, Associated Press Writer
    Sat Jan 9, 2:59 pm ET

WASHINGTON – The top Democrat in the U.S. Senate apologized on Saturday for comments he made about Barack Obama's race during the 2008 presidential bid and are quoted in a yet-to-be-released book about the campaign.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada described in private then-Sen. Barack Obama as "light skinned" and "with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one." Obama is the nation's first African-American president.

"I deeply regret using such a poor choice of words. I sincerely apologize for offending any and all Americans, especially African-Americans for my improper comments," Reid said in a statement released after the excerpts were first reported on the Web site of The Atlantic.

"I was a proud and enthusiastic supporter of Barack Obama during the campaign and have worked as hard as I can to advance President Obama's legislative agenda."

Reid remained neutral during the bitter Democratic primary that became a marathon contest between Obama and then-Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, whom Obama tapped as the United States' top diplomat after the election.

Reid's comments are included in the book, obtained Saturday by The Associated Press and set to be published on Monday. "Game Change" was written by Time Magazine's Mark Halperin and New York magazine's John Heilemann.

The book also says Reid urged Obama to run, perceiving the first-term senator's impatience.

"You're not going to go anyplace here," Reid told Obama of the Senate. "I know that you don't like it, doing what you're doing."

In another section, aides to Republican nominee John McCain described the difficulties they faced with their vice presidential pick, then-Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin. Steve Schmidt, a senior member of Sen. John McCain's presidential team, is quoted telling Palin's foreign policy tutors: "You guys have a lot of work to do. She doesn't know anything."

The authors also quote Obama's initial reaction to McCain's selection of a little-known governor: "Wow. Well, I guess she's change."

Vice presidential nominee Joe Biden was direct. "Who's Sarah Palin?" the book quotes the then-senator as asking as they left the nominating convention in Denver.

Reid, facing a tough 2010 re-election bid, needs the White House's help if he wants to keep his seat. Obama's administration has dispatched officials on dozens of trips to buoy his bid and Obama has raised money for his campaign.

Recognizing the threat, Reid's apologies also played to his home state: "Moreover, throughout my career, from efforts to integrate the Las Vegas strip and the gaming industry to opposing radical judges and promoting diversity in the Senate, I have worked hard to advance issues."

Even before his ill-considered remarks were reported, a new survey released Saturday by the Las Vegas Review Journal showed him continuing to earn poor polling numbers. In the poll, by Mason-Dixon Polling & Research, Reid trailed former state Republican party chairwoman Sue Lowden by a 10 percentage points, 50 percent to 40 percent, and also lagging behind two other opponents.

More than half of Nevadans had an unfavorable opinion of Reid. Just 33 percent of respondents held a favorable opinion.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Now come on George, a Democrat/liberal/progressive can say or do whatever they want while any Republican/conservative cannot say anything at all.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Banned

What Trent Lott Said: "When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We’re proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over the years, either."

What Hairy Reid Said:a ‘light-skinned’ African American ‘with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one,’ as he said privately.”

Double Standard??? You bet....

George Will would disagree with you.

WILL: I don't think there's a scintilla of racism in what Harry Reid said. At long last, Harry Reid has said something that no one can disagree with, and he gets in trouble for it.
    CHENEY: George, give me a break. I mean, talking about the color of the president's skin...
    WILL: Did he get it wrong?
    CHENEY: ... and the candidate's...
    WILL: Did he say anything false?
    CHENEY: ... it's -- these are clearly racist comments, George.
    WILL: Oh, my, no.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    He is entitled to his opinion. Either way, Reid used the "N" word.

MembersZone Subscriber

There wasn't anything racist in what Trent Lott said either. Didn't seem to matter back then.

MembersZone Subscriber

For both parties: how many people are actually offended when it comes to stuff like this, and how many people are just happy that the other guys said something stupid?
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

MembersZone Subscriber

The comments were not stupid. They were racist. Not against Pres. Obama. They were racist comments directed at the Amercian electorate.

They were far worse than what Trent Lott said. They were far worse than what Rush Limbaugh said. They were far worse even than what Imus said.

Reid will be gone by the end of the week. The Dems will not be able to sustain him with this blatant double standard.

God, I can't wait until November.

Reid will be gone by the end of the week.
    I don't think it will happen. I think his posse will provide cover and he will skate through, just like always.

Some of these guys are void of morality, both parties. The way they handle it is totally opposite. The Republicans have a history of eating their own, the Democrats just eat Republicans.

Lessons Learned:

Republicans that have extramarital affairs are bounced out by their own.
    Republicans that cheat on their taxes are bounced out by their own.
    Republicans that take a bribe are bounced out by their own.
    Republicans that use a racial slur or mis-speak, are bounced out by their own.

Dems that do the same thing are given a pass by thier own and provide cover.

It is just the way it works.

It depend on what the definition of "is"... is.

It's all about the power and telling us what is good for us.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    ...They were far worse even than what Imus said...
    You truly believe this statement from Reid is worse than what Imus said on public radio?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    You truly believe this statement from Reid is worse than what Imus said on public radio?
    LMAO @ Imus.... If a black man had said that they would have all laughed and went on their merry way. How about what Howard Cosell said, "Look at the little monkey run". A perfectly harmless remark blown out of proportion and context. I recall watching that game and not thinking a thing of it.

Forum Member

Robert Byrd,the Senator from West Virginia,has been a member of the KKK yet he is thought of as being so prgressive that he is given a pass for trying to keep blacks down.
    I don't get it.I'll never understand Democrats no matter how many of them I have as friends.

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    Robert Byrd,the Senator from West Virginia,has been a member of the KKK yet he is thought of as being so prgressive that he is given a pass for trying to keep blacks down.
    I don't get it.I'll never understand Democrats no matter how many of them I have as friends.
    Byrd has stated numerous times that he is embarassed about the period of his life and has apologized for it numerous times.

Reid has a very positive track record on civil rights. Something Trent Lott or his idol Strom Thurmond couldn't claim.

That is the difference.

Byrd has stated numerous times that he is embarassed about the period of his life and has apologized for it numerous times.

Reid has a very positive track record on civil rights. Something Trent Lott or his idol Strom Thurmond couldn't claim.

That is the difference.
    There is no difference. I don't care about your track record on anything.

As a Democrat, you cannot criticize a person for a statement such as Mr. Lott made (though he probably shouldn't have made it) and essentially force him to resign........and then a few years later when a member of your own party ("progressive" as you may feel that he is) when he makes an outright racist statement.

That Sir, is hypocracy. Or am I taking you out of context "again?"

I love wathing Democrats//liberals/progressives get caught in lies and hypocracy and make excuses for it. So funny if it weren't scary.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    Actions speak louder than words.

As a Democrat, you cannot criticize a person for a statement such as Mr. Lott made (though he probably shouldn't have made it) and essentially force him to resign........and then a few years later when a member of your own party ("progressive" as you may feel that he is) when he makes an outright racist statement.
    Yes I can.

No it isn't.

I love wathing Democrats//liberals/progressives get caught in lies and hypocracy and make excuses for it. So funny if it weren't scary.
    You must not get out much if you enjoy watching things like this latest conservative nontroversy. It's all they have left since their agenda fell apart.

Let's recap some of Lott's remarks:

"I want to say this about my state: when Strom Thurmond ran for President, we voted for him. We're proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years, either."
    What problems was he referencing?

Lott was very clear in myriad other ways that he wasn't just whistling Dixie. Lott was a speaker in 1992 at an event of the Council of Conservative Citizens, a successor to the White Citizens' Councils of Jim Crow days. Among its offerings in seething racial hatred is a "Wanted" poster of Abraham Lincoln. Lott's also offered his rebel yell in the virulently neo-Confederate Southern Partisan, where in 1984 he called the Civil War "the war of aggression."

Reid comes from an era where African Americans were referred to as negroes. What in his remarks even comes close to Lott's support of segregation?

Banned

That is the difference.
    Gee, I have a strong track record for not speeding, does this mean I shouldn't get a ticket?

Actions speak louder than words.
    Not always.

Yes I can.
    It was a figure of speech skippy. How come an intelligent and educated person such as yourself (who claims to be neither ) can read into many other statements, but this one just slips by?

No it isn't.
    It is hypocracy. Keep squirming.

You must not get out much if you enjoy watching things like this latest conservative nontroversy. It's all they have left since their agenda fell apart.
    I get out enough. And that Republican agenda - whether either of us like it or not - will come back.

What problems was he referencing?
    You'll have to ask him what he was referring to. I know how you hate for people to speak in hypotheticals.

Lott's also offered his rebel yell in the virulently neo-Confederate Southern Partisan, where in 1984 he called the Civil War "the war of aggression."
    One would have to look at the context of it. I know many folks in the South that consider the Civil War legitimately, and tongue-in-cheek, a war of Northern Aggression.

And every war is a war of aggression - that is what makes it a war.

Reid comes from an era where African Americans were referred to as negroes. What in his remarks even comes close to Lott's support of segregation?
    Lott said nothing in support of segregation. And term "Negroes" hasn't been an accepted descriptor of blacks since somewhere in the 1960s. There have been many other words in our lexicon used to describe Blacks. Colored, Afro-American, Blacks, and the now (factually inaccurate, though politically correct "African American.")

I think the debate over the matter is blown out of proportion (though you will likely think me a liar.) The whole stupidity of Harry Reid calling Mr. Obama to apologize was utterly unnecesarry, as was the stupidity of his statement. Just move on.

What kills me is the hypocracy of a racist statement being brushed away, while a Republican was forced to resign because of an equally stupid statement. You cannot have it both ways.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    From the standpoint of being hurtful to a particular group of people, no.

From a racism standpoint, I most certainly do.

I believe there is a difference.

MembersZone Subscriber

That is the difference.
    What exactly did Trent Lott do that was a negative as far as civil rights our concerned?

MembersZone Subscriber

Trent Lott made a very general, non-racist remark at the birthday celebration of an almost 100 year old man who had served over half that in the service of the country. What in the world was he supposed to do? Call him out on being a racist at his own birthday party? The general statement had zero to do with racism and everything to do with paying a non-partisan tribute to a senior Senator.

Lott also apologized more times than you can count for whatever offense he may have caused. That seems to be the litmus test today as to whether you can keep your job.

Thread Information