Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: advice needed

Forum Member

Cool advice needed

My boyfriends has been a cadet for a year and has decided to become a career firefighter, and we've decided to stay together. He wants to also get a paramedic degree.

My question is, how can I best support him in his career and what should I expect?

MembersZone Subscriber

Support him by understanding that during the academy and his first year, he will have little time for anything except studying. He will probably be worked like a dog, but it will be satisfying in the end. He'll be exhausted when he finally gets home after a shift. Understand that he'll be gone for a day at a time, but remember that he'll also have a couple days off in a row.

He's also becoming part of a new family. You'll also become part of that family. He'll probably form a bond with the guys (and gals) at work that you guys won't have at home, but it will be different. Don't be jealous of this bond. You'll also find a new family with the other firefighters and families.

When he goes to medic school it will be another 12-18 months of lots of hours of studying. If he needs to use you as a patient, help him out and let him practice. Ask him questions and take interest in his new career.

Enjoy it and be proud.

Forum Member

Smile

Just keep doing what you've been doing. Be supportive and understanding because it will be a stressful time but if your supportive it will only bring you closer.
    He will have a strong bond with his FD family but your bond shouldnt suffer. He's not going to forget you. You will become friends with the other girlfriends, wives and firefighters too. Its a great family to be a part of

Good luck to you.
    My husband and I were dating when he went through fire academy and emt and it was tough but we made it and it was worth it.

Thread Information