Forum Member

Default Concern for Community Safety

If anyone has any suggestions as to how to handle this situation is would be greatly appreciatte
    Last edited by dorrise; 01-11-2010 at 07:38 AM.

Forum Member

Move!!!!!!

Forum Member

Elaine:

I'm sorry about your loss in the past.

My guess is your fire department is all-volunteer. You have to understand that this type of department sometimes has a very high turn-over rate. Most of the members have other jobs, and it is difficult for these guys to get all of the necessary training. If the department lives off fund-raisers and dues, or some property taxes, they probably don't have much of a budget so they might not have the best apparatus and equipment.

But volunteers do have alot of heart, and many do a great job. They protect you just like they protect their own families and friends, so it is in their best interest to be the best they can be.

I suggest that you contact the Chief and advise him of your concerns. You say this information came to your attention... but you don't say how. If this is rumor, then ask directly and do not depend on what others tell you. But if this is true, then the department must be in a rebuild situation, and there is nothing that can change that except time.

Firefighting is a tough job. I am sure that most, if not all, of the guys at your department really want to provide quality protection. If they do have issues, then perhaps you can give them some help, whether it is your time helping with paperwork, or assisting with fund-raisers. Helping the guys at the station will go along way if you bring something with you. Just a thought. But do contact the Chief and get the facts.

Good Luck.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Forum Member

Thanks for the reply good or bad. .
    Last edited by dorrise; 01-11-2010 at 07:39 AM.

Forum Member

Elaine:

There are standards in almost all states, and most depts do try to train their personnel. Volunteer Depts have a tougher time since they may not have the funds required to send their guys out for Firefighter 1.

I get the impression that the former Chief isn't impressed with the situation at present, and might be one that is talking about it. I would still visit with the current Chief, or attend a Board meeting to get the answers to your questions and concerns.

There may be some other factors or issues if the Chief was forced out with other members. This happens sometimes. I truly hope that you get the facts, and I hope as well that the current firefighters know what they are doing.

Sorry if I sounded a little rough on you... it was not my intent. And thank you for your husband's service.

Forum Member

Actually Palid, most states do not have standards.

A study conducted about 7 years ago by the State of Indiana found that 39 states had no fire training requirements for volunteers and 31 had no fire training requirements for career personnel.

In some cases, the states that had requirements required as little as 24 hours of initial training.

Louisiana requires no training for career or volunteer firefighters. The Firefighter's Retirement System requires only FFI to be eligible for enrollment into the system.

Forum Member

Actually Palid, most states do not have standards
    I was aware that some states had very lax standards but was not aware of the number you cite.

Thanks for enlightening me on these statistics.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up And.........

As Progtessive as we are here in Maryland, we do not have any Minimum Training Requirements AT THE STATE LEVEL. The Individual Counties set their own Standards, and there are some Variances, but all have some Minimums.
    For us, FF needs FF1, EMT-B, Hazmat Ops, CPR&AED, and a few other "Small" things. To be a Chief Officer, you need Fire Officer 2, Instructor 2, and a bunch of other stuff. The Maryland Fire and Rescue Institute of the University of Maryland is the State's Fire Training Provider. All Courses are written to NFPA Standards, and are certified by the National Pro Board.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

OK! Where is the information on this situation? Because I have no idea what is being discussed. Sounds a little serious and I do not want to throw in a little light humor which we all volunteer departments often do.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    OK! Where is the information on this situation? Because I have no idea what is being discussed. Sounds a little serious and I do not want to throw in a little light humor which we all volunteer departments often do.
    The OP had asked a question about volunteer firefighters minimum training standards, then removed it.

Forum Member

The information on minimum standards came from a report developed by the Indiana Fire Training Bureau about 7 years ago.

Try a Google search. It may be someplace on the web.

I have a paper copy but no e-copy.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Actually Palid, most states do not have standards.

A study conducted about 7 years ago by the State of Indiana found that 39 states had no fire training requirements for volunteers and 31 had no fire training requirements for career personnel.

In some cases, the states that had requirements required as little as 24 hours of initial training.

Louisiana requires no training for career or volunteer firefighters. The Firefighter's Retirement System requires only FFI to be eligible for enrollment into the system.

This is not accurate. Under Louisiana State Law career firefighters are required to meet NFPA Standard 1001 in order to receive the State Supplimental Pay. They have to be certified through LETI (Formerly known as LSU Fireman Training). While it is not manditory I could not imagin anyone refusing to be certified.
    Volunteers are not required to have training, that I am aware of.

Forum Member

Isn't this all about to change in a few years. Our SFM office in Nebraska has been warning that within 2-3 years they are going to require FF's to have NFPA 1001 to touch a nozzle.

Now that came from two of my regions training officers from the SFM office.

I'm not sure sure that that is realistic and that it will probably be reduced to a different standard, but probably will require NFPA 1001 when doing an interior attack.

Forum Member

jam24u

With all of the economic issues and cutbacks, I wouldn't expect much to change in Standards along State requirements very soon. But I do agree that for FF working fires, they do need to complete IFSTA (or comparable) FF1, which follows NFPA1001. I have seen some variances of unique training for rural/volunteer FFs that follow NFPA1001, but focus on those types of incidents that are typical of rural communites. That training is usually somewhere around 30-50 hours and taught in blocks or sectons. After I did some followup, I was amazed that there are no requirements or adopted standards in some states, but left up to the County or Department, as mentioned.

It seems, even an old dog can learn something new. Now my brain hurts.

Forum Member

Paladin, I agree completely with the need for FFI to do interior attack. I know without taking that class I wouldn't know squat on what the heck to do in there. That isn't something you gain with experience either. I want to say in Iowa it is mandatory to take the class to do attack, although not necessarily pass the test. I know that is the thing on our department, and until you get FFI you are pretty much worthless for awhile since you basically don't know how anything works or operates.

Forum Member

This is not accurate. Under Louisiana State Law career firefighters are required to meet NFPA Standard 1001 in order to receive the State Supplimental Pay. They have to be certified through LETI (Formerly known as LSU Fireman Training). While it is not manditory I could not imagin anyone refusing to be certified.

Volunteers are not required to have training, that I am aware of.

I thought I stated that career firefighters needed FFI to be eligible for enrollment in the supplemental pay system. My bad.

But even with that, there is no legislative requirement for FFI. Volunteers do have no requirements.

Forum Member

NJ, every FF whether paid/volunteer/and anywhere between must be certified to the same FF1 level. Many Departments set that as the minimum and go up from there, but the basic basic lowest level is FF1. And it is the same curriculum/test across the state.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thread Information