Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default National Registry

Hello everyone,

I am two days away from taking my national registry EMT-B exam. I passed my college emt course with an A and did fairly well with all of my practical exams. I have used several different methods to prepare for the exam, but am now doing some last minute cramming in order to calm my anxieties.

These are some of the things that i have done to prepare...

Studied my old textbook in all areas that the NREMT covers.

Reviewed all of my old exams from my course.

Read several books and study guides dedicated to the NREMT exam.

Taken several online practice exams that are suppose to emulate the NREMT.

I have focused my studies on airway and cardiology. Airway because everything that ive read and heard is AIRWAY! AIRWAY! AIRWAY! And Cardiology being so vast, seems to be the area that i struggle with the most.

I continue to take practice tests and grade myself. Depending on the test, i tend to score somewhere in the high 70's to mid 80's.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice to offer or suggestions that may help to prepare me. Thank you for any help in advance.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, first being that it's 2 days out, probably not a whole lot to be able to do now. But at this point, keep yourself well rested and healthy. Don't go out and party (until after the test). Even if you don't usually eat a breakfast, on test day, have a healthy snack (banana, yogurt, etc.). Drink water.

It sounds like you've done well thus far and you've done a lot to prepare yourself. Take your time during the test and read the question AND ALL ANSWERS. If you're in doubt, look for "hints" in other questions.

This is just a "me thing," but it helps my confidence during test taking. On a scratch piece of paper, I write down the question number in one corner if I have no idea and made a complete guess and then I'll write it down in the other corner if I want to come back to it if I have time. After I've reviewed all those questions, I figure out my score if I miss all of those questions left, then subtract another 5% or so. If I'm still above passing, I usually turn it in knowing I'll pass. If I'm close, I'll go back and spend more time on those questions.

Good luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

You sound prepared to me!

I'd advise against EVER leaving an answer blank... you have a chance of guessing correctly if you pick one. The odds go up if you can positively eliminate one option.

MembersZone Subscriber

you won't be able to skip questions it's all computer based now. They base they next question off of the one you answered before. The test can take anywhere from a half hour to two and a half hours.

Forum Member

Just remember...
    ABCs!
    Don't let it fool you... A patent airway comes before breathing and circulation.

And I suggest reading through this info if you havn't all ready... It'll help you understand the process more. It helped me calm down a little more about the test.
    https://www.nremt.org/nremt/CbtEmtSe...y_Requirements

Pee before you go into the testing center... Don't freak out if the test stops you after 70 questions. It just may do that... Or you could be there for well over an hour. Take your time. Read every question and answer thoroughly. And don't forget airway comes first before breathing followed by circulation.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Default National Registry

I am in Las Vegas, I just took mine last Thurs. I passed. It freaked me out a little when it ended around 70 questions, I was just getting comfortable.
    It asked me a few duplicates also. Terminology was a bit different than the classroom ,but the same info all in all. Good Luck Sounds like you will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Superrp7 View Post
    I am in Las Vegas, I just took mine last Thurs. I passed. It freaked me out a little when it ended around 70 questions, I was just getting comfortable.
    It asked me a few duplicates also. Terminology was a bit different than the classroom ,but the same info all in all. Good Luck Sounds like you will be fine.
    Did you study using any resources outside of the classroom?

Congrats on your passing by the way!

Thank you everyone for the encouragement and advice!

Forum Member

Default Nremt

I actually only brushed up on the Pearson website which PearsonVue is the testing center here, the book our class was taught from was Brady/Pearson and came with a password to the website to take practice tests on. It worked well for me as I learn better that way by testing and quizing. Just took my written for Las Vegas Fire this a.m. hopefully I did good enough on it!
    Good Luck

Forum Member

CPR, AED, and SHOCK... I had a ton of questions regarding that stuff... Oh, and don't forget pediatric and OB

Forum Member

Not 100% sure on this, but theoretically it should work...

the NREMT test measures your knowledge on different areas of EMS. It asks you questions ranging in difficulty from easy to hard. As soon as you have answered a sufficient number of questions regarding a specific module (increased difficulty) the test thinks you know enough about that subject and will move on to different subjects. (mind you, all the subjects are mixed, you dont get 10 airway questions, then 10 OB questions) If you miss a question, it starts you out at an easier question within that same subject matter.

Due to this the test can take the bare minimum of increased difficulty questions, or it may take 2-3X as long if you miss questions and have to start the cycle over again.

To tell if you passed the test or not, think of the last question you answered. Did you answer it correctly? If so you passed. If the last question you answered was incorrect, you may have failed the test.

Thread Information