MembersZone Subscriber

Default EMT-Basic certification question...

Hey guys. About two and a half years ago I took an EMT-Basic certification course. I passed the course but I never took national registry (I know, I would kick myself right in the *** if I could for not taking it). Since it has been over two years I understand that my certification is no longer any good. However, I was wondering is their just a refresher course I could go through instead of going through the whole class again?

Funny thing is I actually just completed an application for National Registry for the EMS-First Responder class I just took. Already took and passed the final written test and practicalís are tomorrow.

I am pretty sure I would have to go through the Basic class again, but just wanted to make sure.

Thanks everyone. Stay safe out there.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not sure what Mississippi rules are but in WI you can take a refresher course within 6 months of your license expiring. Otherwise you have to go through the course all over again.

As far as the National Registry goes, I have never really seen the use of it. I don't plan on moving out of state so what is the purpose? Being Nationally Registered is not a requirement for WI anyway, maybe it is in some states but to me, its a waste of money when most states make you challenge the tests or go through the class anyway when you move.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

if your location is correct, http://www.msdh.state.ms.us/msdhsite.../47,0,307.html should provide you with answers.

Interestingly it says taking the national registry test, but maybe that is a new requirement. I'm a little confused because so far all I can find on recerting is that you send a form and a check into the state. Probably best to call and ask someone at the sate what exactly you have to do.

Forum Member

I am about 90% positive you will have to re-take the entire course. Don't quote me though,
    Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

Forum Member

Depends on what state you're in. If you're in a state that requires you to have the NR cert, then you'll have to take the class again since you never tested...

You might find this helpful...
    https://www.nremt.org/nremt/CbtEmtSe...y_Requirements
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Thread Information