Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34
  1. #1
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    183

    Default I smell a lawsuit brewing.

    After KFC, PETA Wants Fire Truck Ads

    By CHARLES WILSON
    -
    Associated Press Writer

    Posted: Mon, 01/11/2010 - 10:26
    Updated: Mon, 01/11/2010 - 10:59
    INDIANAPOLIS --
    An animal rights group figures if KFC can use fire extinguishers and hydrants to promote chicken wings, it should be able to use city fire trucks to denounce cruelty to chickens.
    People for the Ethical Treatment for Animals has offered Indianapolis Mayor Greg Ballard $7,500 in return for advertising space on the vehicles, after the fast-food chain announced this week that it will pay for city fire extinguishers in exchange for advertising on them. It also is paying for smoke detectors the city will give away.
    PETA's proposed ad shows a plucked and scalded chicken with the phrases "Chickens Are Burned To Death At KFC" and "Boycott Cruelty." The group claims many KFC chickens are scalded to death during processing; it has long criticized the restaurant's treatment of animals.
    "Our money is as good as KFC's," PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman said in a statement. "The difference is that our money doesn't come from animal abuse."
    KFC spokesman Rick Maynard defended the restaurant's practices and said PETA was known for resorting to publicity stunts.
    KFC wants to expand the monthlong campaign to three other cities nationwide. So far, it also is giving $2,500 to Brazil, Ind., for the right to emblazon local hydrants with the face of the chain's founder, Colonel Sanders.
    Jen Pittman, spokeswoman for the Indianapolis mayor, said Friday that PETA's offer would have to meet city guidelines that require corporate sponsorships to yield a public benefit.
    But she said city officials contacted PETA Friday and suggested sponsoring programs at an animal shelter might be more appropriate.
    "Not all kinds of city assets are appropriate to display an ad," she said. Heavy advertising on a fire truck could even lead motorists to believe a truck heading for an emergency was just performing a stunt, she said.
    PETA spokeswoman Lindsay Rajt said the group's legal staff was reviewing the city's policy and questioned the public benefit of encouraging people to eat "unhealthy products."
    "We believe our ads do have a clear public benefit," Rajt said.

    Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

    http://www.firehouse.com/topics/indi...fire-truck-ads

    **
    "Jen Pittman, spokeswoman for the Indianapolis mayor, said Friday that PETA's offer would have to meet city guidelines that require corporate sponsorships to yield a public benefit."

    Just what Public benefit does a KFC ad have? I can't stand PETA and I'm betting that they are doing this just for the publicity but I could see this landing them some big money when Indy denies their request.


  2. #2
    Forum Member Bones42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Pt. Beach, NJ
    Posts
    10,658

    Default

    An animal rights group figures if KFC can use fire extinguishers and hydrants to promote chicken wings, it should be able to use city fire trucks to denounce cruelty to chickens.
    They should be allowed to do the same thing as KFC. The fact they want to use trucks instead of extinguishers and hydrants is the problem.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

  3. #3
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    SW MO
    Posts
    4,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    They should be allowed to do the same thing as KFC. The fact they want to use trucks instead of extinguishers and hydrants is the problem.
    If I was the mayor, I think I'd tell them that they can advertise all they like on any fire apparatus they purchase for the department. KFC is buying the items they are advertising on, PETA can do the same.

  4. #4
    Forum Member DaSharkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    4,713

    Default

    I 'd tell the to go pound sand.

    There is history with PeTA donating money to those accused of, and being tried for setting fire to buildings that house animal research facilities.

    Supporting terroriristic groups and those that perform terroristic acts is not exactly an image a community ought to put forward.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

    The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

    "No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

    "As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

    www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

  5. #5
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    SW MO
    Posts
    4,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    I 'd tell the to go pound sand.

    There is history with PeTA donating money to those accused of, and being tried for setting fire to buildings that house animal research facilities.

    Supporting terroriristic groups and those that perform terroristic acts is not exactly an image a community ought to put forward.
    There's that aspect, too.

    I did get a good laugh the other day during a converstation about PETA. There's a new one, "People for the Eating of Tasty Animals".

  6. #6
    Forum Member nmfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Posts
    5,738

    Default

    If they made me drive a fire truck around with PETA ads on the side, I would intentionally go pickup my lunch at every fast food joint in town every day.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

  7. #7
    55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....
    Posts
    10,739

    Post And.........

    I'd have to do a Search, but there are VFDs out there that have "Recognition" of Corporate Sponsors on their Apparatus. That said, Volunteer Fire Departments, at least here in my world, are Private, Non-Profit Corporations that are usually 501C3 organizations under the IRS Rules. As such, the VFDs own their Apparatus, and do not have the same requirements that Government has in regard to so called (Politically Correct) "Equal Access". In other words, if a City owned the Engine in my station, they would have to give equal consideration to any and all requests for a particular Service, such as placing Ads on the Vehicle. As a Private Corporation, we can do whatever suits us with our Property. (I've tried to interest Sprint and DeWalt in this..... )


    BTW, I'm not a KFC Fan, but PETA can kiss my Grits......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

    IACOJ Budget Analyst

    I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

    www.gdvfd18.com

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    They should be allowed to do the same thing as KFC. The fact they want to use trucks instead of extinguishers and hydrants is the problem.
    Difference being that KFC is selling a product. PETA is a political activist group. I'm sure there are Ethical and Legal considerations in allowing political ads. Next election you will see all of the incumbents with ads on city vehicles and the challengers will have none.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    I'd have to do a Search, but there are VFDs out there that have "Recognition" of Corporate Sponsors on their Apparatus. That said, Volunteer Fire Departments, at least here in my world, are Private, Non-Profit Corporations that are usually 501C3 organizations under the IRS Rules. As such, the VFDs own their Apparatus, and do not have the same requirements that Government has in regard to so called (Politically Correct) "Equal Access". In other words, if a City owned the Engine in my station, they would have to give equal consideration to any and all requests for a particular Service, such as placing Ads on the Vehicle. As a Private Corporation, we can do whatever suits us with our Property. (I've tried to interest Sprint and DeWalt in this..... )


    BTW, I'm not a KFC Fan, but PETA can kiss my Grits......
    Exactly. I know there are laws against campaigning in government buildings. And I beleive political activism and lobbying fall into those categories.

  10. #10
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Golden City 1 hour south of fort smith
    Posts
    540

    Default

    I may be wrong but I do believe PETA is on the watch list of domistic terrorism. This should give the city a easy out. But most of you are right PETA is just doing this for news time and will threaten to sue if the city doesn't let then put there ad on the truck and in return the city will have to pull the KFC ad. For the record I HATE PETA!!!!!! I'm all for group bring awareness and helping animals but I'm not for group that do thing that are illegal and distructive to the point that would kill to prove there point.

  11. #11
    Forum Member PaladinKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,413

    Default

    I can see it now... Engines with advertisements on the high sides.

    Everyone will mistake your truck for a city bus.


    Hmmm, could be a lucrative money maker. I really should talk to my bosses about this. Maybe I won't have to cut my budget after all.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by volfireman034 View Post
    I may be wrong but I do believe PETA is on the watch list of domistic terrorism. This should give the city a easy out. But most of you are right PETA is just doing this for news time and will threaten to sue if the city doesn't let then put there ad on the truck and in return the city will have to pull the KFC ad. For the record I HATE PETA!!!!!! I'm all for group bring awareness and helping animals but I'm not for group that do thing that are illegal and distructive to the point that would kill to prove there point.
    I liked it better when they protested in the nude That was their save the animals (I'm sure you know which one) campaign.......

  13. #13
    ...
    ... is offline
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    420

    Default

    Well...Is ANY advertising on fire equipment good?

  14. #14
    Forum Member johnny46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    2,094

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaladinKnight View Post
    I can see it now... Engines with advertisements on the high sides.

    Everyone will mistake your truck for a city bus.
    They already do that with the ambulances....
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

  15. #15
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Golden City 1 hour south of fort smith
    Posts
    540

    Default

    Ok I guess I should be fair to PETA (Ugh) If they send me a Ad with them nude on it I'll atleast post it in the fire station. LOL If the pay me to do it I'll wall paper the fire station with it. ( inside) LMAO

  16. #16
    Forum Member PaladinKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,413

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny46 View Post
    They already do that with the ambulances....
    I haven't seen that yet...

    Is that down in big H?
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

  17. #17
    Forum Member PaladinKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,413

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by volfireman034 View Post
    Ok I guess I should be fair to PETA (Ugh) If they send me a Ad with them nude on it I'll atleast post it in the fire station. LOL If the pay me to do it I'll wall paper the fire station with it. ( inside) LMAO
    I'll take their money... and hang the posters. We have alot of guys that feel their pain. They go into the woods every fall and try to do their part for the plight of Bambi and her family.


    Besides, anything that I can do to raise money and not have to paint the station is all good.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

  18. #18
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,802

    Default

    Let the cops put AD space on their cruisers like Taxis do, then maybe we can put ads on my fire truck.

    "Not all kinds of city assets are appropriate to display an ad," she said. Heavy advertising on a fire truck could even lead motorists to believe a truck heading for an emergency was just performing a stunt, she said. Now we need a useful revision of the NFPA standard that will bar the placement of ads on fire apparatus.

  19. #19
    Forum Member Bushwhacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Northern Rockies Region
    Posts
    638

    Default

    Rolling Billboards brilliant.... however. There is a FD in a small town in South Dakota, that has a very large Motorcycle rally every year. One, if not 2, of there Rigs sport the name Harley-Davidson Motorcycles, with a very large mural. HD however bought them, and donated them to the FD. Now is that right?
    Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

  20. #20
    MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Posts
    2,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaladinKnight View Post
    Everyone will mistake your truck for a city bus.
    I believe the ambulance has already cornered that market...
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Another Massachusetts hiring lawsuit
    By billjonz in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-11-2006, 12:55 PM
  2. Grand Junction Lawsuit
    By NJFFSA16 in forum Colorado
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-04-2005, 12:51 AM
  3. OOOooo that smell....
    By eck3190 in forum Emergency Vehicle Operations
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-11-2004, 08:17 PM
  4. Lawsuit Over CIS?
    By GeorgeWendtCFI in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-02-2003, 10:33 AM
  5. Sense of smell
    By chf jstano in forum Volunteer Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-15-2000, 11:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts