Forum Member

Default More Democratic Prostitution

So why is it that a Democrat can have PACs, lobbyists, and donations from special interest groups, but it is only Republicans or conservatives that get flack for it?

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/op...-81067542.html

Coakley in trouble? Pharma and HMO lobbyists to the rescue
    By: Timothy P. Carney
    Examiner Columnist
    01/09/10 1:55 PM EST

With Democrat Martha Coakley in trouble in the Massachusetts special election to fill Ted Kennedy's seat, Democrats could lose vote No. 60 for President Obama's health-care bill. In response, an army of lobbyists for drug companies, health insurance companies, and hospitals has teamed up to throw a high-dollar Capitol Hill fundraiser for Coakley next Tuesday night. The invitation is at right (click here for a better view).

Of the 22 names on the host committee--meaning they raised $10,000 or more for Coakley--17 are federally registered lobbyists, 15 of whom have health-care clients. Of the other five hosts, one is married to a lobbyist, one was a lobbyist in Pennsylvania, another is a lawyer at a lobbying firm, and another is a corporate CEO. Oh, and of course, there's also the political action commitee for Boston Scientific Corporation.

All the leading drug companies have lobbyists on Coakley's host committee: Pfizer, Merck, Amgen, Sanofi-Aventis, Eli Lilly, Novartis, Astra-Zeneca, and more. On the insurance side of things, Blue Cross/Blue Shield, Cigna, Humana, HealthSouth, and United Health all are represented on the host committee.

Those HMOs (like Aetna) or drug companies who don't have lobbyists in Coakley's top tier of fundraisers? They're covered, because the host committee includes four lobbyists representing the Pharmaceutical Researchers and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA), two representing America's Health Insurance Plans (AHIP), and one representing the Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO)

So think of these top donors to health-care reform's 60th vote next time President Obama claims that he's battling the special interests in this battle. The army listed below is on Obama's side, and these clients will all benefit from "reform."

Here are some of Coakley fundraiser hosts with some of their current health care clients:

Thomas Boggs, Patton Boggs: Bristol-Myers Squibb
    Chuck Brain, Capitol Hill Strategies: Amgen, BIO, Merck, PhRMA
    Susan Brophy, Glover Park Group: Blue Cross, Pfizer
    Steven Champlin, Duberstein Group: AHIP, Novartis, Sanofi-Aventis
    Licy Do Canto, Raben Group: Amgen
    Gerald Cassidy, Cassidy & Associates: U. Mass Memorial Health Care
    David Castagnetti, Mehlman, Vogel, Castagnetti: Abbot Labs, AHIP, Astra-Zenaca, General Electric, Humana, Merck, PhRMA.
    Steven Elmendorf, Elmendorf Strategies: Medicines Company, PhRMA, United Health
    Shannon Finley, Capitol Counsel: Amgen, Astra-Zeneca, Blue Cross, GE, PhRMA, Sanofi-Aventis.
    Heather Podesta, Heather Podesta & Partners: Cigna, Eli Lilly, HealthSouth
    Tony Podesta, Podesta Group: Amgen, GE, Merck, Novartis.
    Robert Raben, Raben Group: Amgen, GE.
    If Coakley pulls it out, this is the crowd that will have brought her here. If health-care reform passes, this is the crew that will have won.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Banned

Must be these drug companies, health insurance companies, and hospitals think they will be getting bigger profits off the new bill. I know if a bill was introduced that was going to cut into my pay check and profits I would be very much against it

But to answer your question; Liberals live by a double standard and revisionist history.

To show the point. Gasoline prices Under Bush went from a low of $2.00 per gallon up to a high of $4.00, and then back down to $2.00. It took 8 years to do that. The liberals and the MSM were up in arms over this.

Under Obama, in 1 year, gas prices have gone from $2.00 per gallon to $3.00 per gallon. Not a peep from any of them. Under Bush the average rise per year was 25 cents, under Obama it is 4 times as bad at $1.00. Just a bunch of hypocrites lacking clear values and direction is all. Makes you think of the chicken with its head cut off.

Banned

Interesting in this race is the polls have this as a dead heat right now, its anybodies race. Democrats outnumber Republicans in the bay state by a factor of 3 to 1; this really points out how unhappy the people are with how the Liberals in DC are ruining the country.

Wouldn't it be nice if one of these parties actually listened to the people? Republicans lost control because they didn't listen to the people; now the democrats are facing the same demise. These people in D.C. are so stupid they make SCfire look smart.

Forum Member

I was listening ot one of the local radio programs here yesterday out of Boston. It occurred to me that last Summer scfire86 was having a fit that the Republicans and town hall protesters were pushing an agenda paid for and put forth by the drug and insurance companies.........

And now, when a Democrat is apparently doing it he is mute on the matter.

As for the Democrat to Republican issue here, not that it means a whole lot, but I have seen 1 business with a bunch of Martha Coakley signs on their fence. I have yet to see one house with a Martha Coakley sign on it.......However I am seeing several signs for Scott Brown on personal residences (Mr. Brown is the Republican candidate.)

Tuesday could be very interesting, and if indeed Mr. Brown wins the one-party corrupt Democrats in this state will drop in their tracks. As scfire says, they'll be locked in the bathroom, shaking, quivering, crying, and asking why? Why? Why? Oh it would be so freaking fun to watch.

Mr. Brown was on the radio yesterday on this program (the Jay Severin show) and noted that on this past Monday, the day of the last debate, his campaign raked in $1,300,000 in donations - mostly in amounts under $75. Poor Martha has to go trolling to D.C. to get lobbyists to donate to her campaign, and the Democrats have to pull managers of campaigns from Chicago to help her out. Even Bill Clinton is coming to town to help her out. Not sure what help he will do, but he is coming.
    Last edited by DaSharkie; 01-13-2010 at 11:27 AM.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

Forum Member

Even Bill Clinton is coming to town to help her out. Not sure what help he will do, but he is coming.
    In NJ, we had Bill Clinton, Joe Biden, and Obama himself come to help. It helped a lot...a Republican with originally a very small chance of winning won.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    I was listening ot one of the local radio programs here yesterday out of Boston. It occurred to me that last Summer scfire86 was having a fit that the Republicans and town hall protesters were pushing an agenda paid for and put forth by the drug and insurance companies.........

And now, when a Democrat is apparently doing it he is mute on the matter.

As for the Democrat to Republican issue here, not that it means a whole lot, but I have seen 1 business with a bunch of Martha Coakley signs on their fence. I have yet to see one house with a Martha Coakley sign on it.......However I am seeing several signs for Scott Brown on personal residences (Mr. Brown is the Republican candidate.)

Tuesday could be very interesting, and if indeed Mr. Brown wins the one-party corrupt Democrats in this state will drop in their tracks. As scfire says, they'll be locked in the bathroom, shaking, quivering, crying, and asking why? Why? Why? Oh it would be so freaking fun to watch.

Mr. Brown was on the radio yesterday on this program (the Jay Severin show) and noted that on this past Monday, the day of the last debate, his campaign raked in $1,300,000 in donations - mostly in amounts under $75. Poor Martha has to go trolling to D.C. to get lobbyists to donate to her campaign, and the Democrats have to pull managers of campaigns from Chicago to help her out. Even Bill Clinton is coming to town to help her out. Not sure what help he will do, but he is coming.
    It is interesting how the people are being represented by Brown and Big Business is represented by Cloakly. That last statement is loaded to the gills. I could get myself in trouble easily with that one

Forum Member

While I place no weight on a union or organization's endorsement, but it is fairly telling that many police unions are backing......Scott Brown, and not Marth Coakley - the Attorney General of teh Commonwealth. I know that many liberals love to have endorsements of unions for their candidates.

Quite sad that it seems that the rank and file unions for police officers have little faith in the Commonwealth's top law enforcement officer.

http://blastmagazine.com/the-news/po...endorse-brown/

http://www.telegram.com/article/2010...S/1130362/1116

The latest flap is that in Martha Coakley's add her campaign even mis-spelled "Massachusetts."

Thread Information