Forum Member

Default Just pondering..

Brian, Kurt, Sly, other seasoned grant writers... Why would DHS send the 1199 but no questions? Has this ever happened before? When do they reject the company who already received the 1199 or a reduction? I've read on here that it's possible. Just wondering why they would do it?

I know. It's too early to worry, but the mind can't help but wonder. Also, do you still think there is hope to be in Round 1 if we haven't received the Qs? I'm nervous because its for a vehicle and want a chance at getting a 09 demo. We know a lot of vendors still have them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by medstudent13 View Post
    Brian, Kurt, Sly, other seasoned grant writers... Why would DHS send the 1199 but no questions? Has this ever happened before? When do they reject the company who already received the 1199 or a reduction? I've read on here that it's possible. Just wondering why they would do it?

I know. It's too early to worry, but the mind can't help but wonder. Also, do you still think there is hope to be in Round 1 if we haven't received the Qs? I'm nervous because its for a vehicle and want a chance at getting a 09 demo. We know a lot of vendors still have them.
    Sometimes there's quite the lag between the two. I'm in the same boat right now. Patience before you get someting to haul patients...

Forum Member

I am picturing the whole process this way. If they are punching these in by hand, they are placing them on a pile of finished 1199's after they enter the award number. Now they are going back to that pile and sending out the questions. Therefore, the departments that received their 1199 latest are getting their 10 questions firstest. So Medstudent, you were given your 1199 very early so you will be one of the last to get your questions????? I honestly have no clue, but thought it sounded good. I just love it when my patience are tested!!! Hang in there everyone.

Kelly

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    Patience before you get someting to haul patients...
    Mike....You're a poet and didn't know it!!!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mmcneill View Post
    Mike....You're a poet and didn't know it!!!!!!!
    I try.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by imafireman View Post
    I am picturing the whole process this way. If they are punching these in by hand, they are placing them on a pile of finished 1199's after they enter the award number. Now they are going back to that pile and sending out the questions. Therefore, the departments that received their 1199 latest are getting their 10 questions firstest. So Medstudent, you were given your 1199 very early so you will be one of the last to get your questions????? I honestly have no clue, but thought it sounded good. I just love it when my patience are tested!!! Hang in there everyone.

Kelly
    LOL...I guess I should have handed that 1199 over to a procrastinator rather than the person I did hand it to. We were one of the first ones to send it. I got a confirmation a few days after I sent it.

Can anyone confirm this theory?

Edit: Being the nerd that I am, I just looked at the 1199 and 10 Q threads. It doesn't appear that they are going in reverse order.

Has anyone who submitted the 1199 on or before Dec 17 received the 10Qs?
    Last edited by medstudent13; 01-12-2010 at 03:41 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

LOL...I guess I should have handed that 1199 over to a procrastinator rather than the person I did hand it to. We were one of the first ones to send it. I got a confirmation a few days after I sent it.

Edit: Being the nerd that I am, I just looked at the 1199 and 10 Q threads. It doesn't appear that they are going in reverse order.

Had a 1199A reference before Dec. 17th; still no q's. Not worried they will get here when they get here. As Catch pointed out there could be quite a lag between the 1199A showing up and the q's arriving; even months.

Forum Member

submitted my 1199 on 12/16, got 10 q's yesterday..EMS

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy

submitted my 1199a on 12/21. Received 1199a confirmation on 1/5. No 10 questions yet.

Forum Member

Talking Do your homework and get smarter than the rest of us

Remember what we told you early on in the process:::: When it shows up it will be there!
    There is no way to apply any pattern or rule to how they do the process. There are different regions and it seems as though they try to spread them around to give every region a piece of each round of awards.

We got our reduction early on , then 1199 16 dec, still no 10 q's. When they come we will know we have made it to the next step of the process, and the award notice should be along some time after that. It is possible that even though we have indication of award, that we might not see the official notice for months.

The fact that you've gotten the 1199 is a good indicator that you made it past computer scoring & to peer review with a good enough score to make it to award. Odds are high you will receive an award, BUT nothing is certain until you have the notice in writing.
    Relax: you'll get an ulcer worrying about the timing.

Forum Member

Wink

Found vehicle reduction 11/10, found 1199a on 12/15, but have not received any questions yet, medstudent13 hang in there. I know (believe me) it's difficult, but when it happens it becomes even more exciting, and the day you see your departments name on the list you'll keep going back to look, just making sure its true.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question

I'm a newbie here as far as the AFG process but am trying to remain optomistic that we will be awarded but must admit that the overall process can be extremely frustrating. We have been previously awarded the AFG in the past (2005, 2006) however this is actually my first venture at the process. I spent countless hours preparing that package for submission attempting to provide ample justification for our requests. After patiently waiting all summer and into the fall I have been diligently watching the grant forums here and our application for any type of progress. On 12/22 I noticed that our overall budget had been adjusted from $77,181 down to $73,332. No items had been deleted however there where several line item cost reductions noted (HRT Power Plant, HRT Cutters, TIC and RIT Pack). At that time I contacted the help desk as there had not been an 1199a posted as of yet. I was informed by them that the reduction was an "extremely good sign", however that was all they could tell me at that time.

Hopefully our 1199a will post in the near future however I have several questions on how things will proceed from here. Are the reductions, 1199a and 10 questions issued per individual round or are they all issued up front and then the actual awards made in individual rounds ? Are the reductions that they proposed addressed for our acceptance in the 10 questions they issue ? If for some reason our award was to be denied would we receive notification prior to the 2010 AFG submission dates ?

Forum Member

We received a 1199 with only a vehicle award # on it back on 12/17 faxed it back on 12/19 never got a conformation so I went in and looked at the 1199 again and it was updated with both a vehicle and operations award # so I refaxed it again on 1/9 with a statement at the bottom - (refaxd due to additional award number and no reciept conformation) Hopefully I see 10Q soon but who knows.

Forum Member

ejfeicht

If you look probably under you 2005 application and on the drop menu on the right check where it says view 1199a. This where you should see a new 2009 1199a show up at. Look for the reference award # with the 2009.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by shinds View Post
    ejfeicht

If you look probably under you 2005 application and on the drop menu on the right check where it says view 1199a. This where you should see a new 2009 1199a show up at. Look for the reference award # with the 2009.
    Steve,

Thanks for the info, I am actually located just south of you in northern Butler County.
    I have been checking there every so often watching for it to show up, hopefully in the near future. Do you know how they handle the reductions ? Are they addressed in the 10 questions ?
    Last edited by ejfeicht; 01-12-2010 at 10:40 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

For the benefit of the newbies to this process and to AFG in general a few things to ponder and keep in mind:

Good Signs for receiving funding:
    • A new referense award number stating a 2009 EMW award # appears on a previous 1199a form from a previous year's grant award
    • On the status page in the "action" box next to your current 2009 AFG application, you find a drop down that says "Update 1199a"
    • You look at your current application and compare the project budget that you stated in your narrative and the figures there are different from the figures on the "budget page" of the application; usually these numbers would indicate they are lowered in some places
    • You look at the "budget page" of your current application and see all "0s" in the boxes

Bad Signs: There are no currently valid bad signs since no DJs ( rejection notices" have been dropped out yet

General Comment: No news is good news until otherwise stated in writing to you

This is a long haul operation here folks, there are many steps that have to occur and no matter what level of stressing that you do, it will not speed up the process or make your level of anxiety any better. Best advice to you, chill out and ride out the storm. Things will happen at their own speed and not a moment before, so relax. It is way, way to early for anyone to be thinking that "I blew it". Relax.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

medstudent:

No worries yet. I've got plenty of people with 1199s around your date (some same date) and no Qs yet.

Did you get my e-mail?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SLY4420 View Post
    medstudent:

No worries yet. I've got plenty of people with 1199s around your date (some same date) and no Qs yet.

Did you get my e-mail?
    Email? Don't think I got anything from you. No private message either. Where did you send it?

Forum Member

Sent through your profile -- check spam, sometimes Firehouse.com e-mails go there. I sent you an e-mail last week. If not, PM me your direct e-mail.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    For the benefit of the newbies to this process and to AFG in general a few things to ponder and keep in mind:

Good Signs for receiving funding:
    • A new referense award number stating a 2009 EMW award # appears on a previous 1199a form from a previous year's grant award
    • On the status page in the "action" box next to your current 2009 AFG application, you find a drop down that says "Update 1199a"
    • You look at your current application and compare the project budget that you stated in your narrative and the figures there are different from the figures on the "budget page" of the application; usually these numbers would indicate they are lowered in some places
    • You look at the "budget page" of your current application and see all "0s" in the boxes

Bad Signs: There are no currently valid bad signs since no DJs ( rejection notices" have been dropped out yet

General Comment: No news is good news until otherwise stated in writing to you

This is a long haul operation here folks, there are many steps that have to occur and no matter what level of stressing that you do, it will not speed up the process or make your level of anxiety any better. Best advice to you, chill out and ride out the storm. Things will happen at their own speed and not a moment before, so relax. It is way, way to early for anyone to be thinking that "I blew it". Relax.
    One other scenario:

If you are a multi time awardee and do not find a reference to the first time awarded; check all awarded grants along with checking your 2009 grant. There have been View 1199A and Update 1199A's found in these areas as well.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by onebugle View Post
    One other scenario:

If you are a multi time awardee and do not find a reference to the first time awarded; check all awarded grants along with checking your 2009 grant. There have been View 1199A and Update 1199A's found in these areas as well.
    And, as long as you're looking...take a look to make sure that grants that were closed-out in the past still show that way. With the changes in the close-out module--i gotta believe that there's one out there that didn't make the cross-over. Ours all looked good when i checked them after the modoule re-opened.

earl

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by onebugle View Post
    One other scenario:

Good point guy!
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Sending a test. only a test

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by dfd701 View Post
    Sending a test. only a test
    if this was an actual award you would have been instructed to go to the nearest fallout shelter and begin your Happy dance ! <:-}

Thread Information