MembersZone Subscriber

Default AFG 2010 Rescue truck

Can any of you help me with any idea of what the chances are if I ask for a used but good condition walk in rescue style truck for AFG 2010. This would be used for almost all of our fire calls including mutual and automatic aid calls. The rescue would have portable 4 bottle cascade system with plenty of extra scba bottles, equipment for shore based water rescue, equipment for wildland search and rescue, some basic hazmat ( for car wrecks and such). Plenty of lighting and a generator. It would have a IC station inside with radios and computer and it would be set of for firefighter rehab for summer and winter conditions. There is not other rescue set up like this in the entire county. The only other "rescues" in the county are two set up mostly just for extracation and are not walk in's. We are thinking about asking for a used one in the price range of under $30,000.
    During the last year we have been trying to keep a record of all the calls that a rescue could be used on or atleast respond to in case it was needed and it really surprised us. We counted over 50 calls. Our fire department would operate it, but most of the county would benefit from it. Est population of 15,000 and 450 sq. miles.

Any thoughts or ideas?

MembersZone Subscriber

From my understanding, slim to none. Brian is one of the very few that have even been awarded one, and it seems like less than 5 have been awarded since the existence of the AFG.

Forum Member

It'll be decided by your demographics... It's a top priority in Urban, but not in Suburban or Rural. If it's a secondary or or low priority, it won't get a high enough peer score to get awarded. Not even all the high priority vehicles get awarded.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

George S. Patton

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DFDCar1 View Post
    It'll be decided by your demographics... It's a top priority in Urban, but not in Suburban or Rural. If it's a secondary or or low priority, it won't get a high enough peer score to get awarded. Not even all the high priority vehicles get awarded.
    I was looking for that info to elaborate a bit when you posted.

Even as a top priority for urban departments, it seems like I've been told it's a low priority.

Forum Member

Much harder to justify than a basic engine, tanker, aerial, or ambulance. But it IS do-able! Just because it's a local priority, doesn't mean it's an AFG priority. If you don't need ANY other kind of apparatus, it would be OK to use your one apparatus app for this, just don't get your hopes up. The good thing is that you can still do an operations app and a regional app, even if you do a dud apparatus app.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

George S. Patton

FH Mag/.com Contributor

DFD and Catch are correct, I know of 4 heavies and about the same on medium duty since the beginning. As DFD said if that's your most competitive truck app then sell the bejesus out of it and hope for the best. One of our seminar attendees from last year that we did their Ops grant ended up as a 2008 CDJ correction on a heavy rescue that I told him not to hire us for but do anyway. I'd say the same to you, don't pay anyone to do it but sell it like nobody's business and see where it lands. Beat the computer, you know it has competitive numbers but narrative not so high, then maybe look at laying out some dough for another pair of eyes. Otherwise save the writing fees and try it as long as you wouldn't be more competitive for a Priority 1 truck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you for the help, I had a feeling that was going to be the answer. But I though I would run it by all of you for maybe other thoughts and ideas. What about just asking for the rear compartment walkin part of the rescue and mounting it on our own chassis. We can get free chassises even 4x4 from our state forestry department. That way we would also be able to ask for it under the equipment portion of AFG no vehicles section. That would also reduce the over all cost I think to about $15,000. Several departments in my area are really hoping we can make this work some how.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

AFG wouldn't touch it unless you could have it built to be NFPA compliant. Other grant programs don't care as much, $15k would be in the range of Fireman's Fund, State Farm, and some others.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by volfireman034 View Post
    Thank you for the help, I had a feeling that was going to be the answer. But I though I would run it by all of you for maybe other thoughts and ideas. What about just asking for the rear compartment walkin part of the rescue and mounting it on our own chassis. We can get free chassises even 4x4 from our state forestry department. That way we would also be able to ask for it under the equipment portion of AFG no vehicles section. That would also reduce the over all cost I think to about $15,000. Several departments in my area are really hoping we can make this work some how.
    If you go ahead and write this, we will all be rooting for you. I would love to know how this one turns out in whatever direction is goes.

MembersZone Subscriber

Could you do it as a trailer and tow it? I don't know your operational requirements but, if it was a trailer you have a much better chance at it to cover all those functions.You gain the ability to drop it as a mobile command post for MA situations as well without tying up a vehicle. I did one this year for a dept. in $94K range which has an 1199a award # posted to it already.
    Last edited by ktb9780; 01-13-2010 at 09:44 AM.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Not sure if this will help you at all but I was just reading over the NVFC newsletter and I saw this article about a department wanting to donate a medium duty walk-in rescue similar to what you were explaining. Here is the link: http://www.nvfc.org/page/626/show_item/1103/News.htm
    at the bottom of the article is a link to their website, once there click on the apparatus link on the left column to see a picture of the vehicle.

Best of luck

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MIDWESTCHIEF View Post
    Not sure if this will help you at all but I was just reading over the NVFC newsletter and I saw this article about a department wanting to donate a medium duty walk-in rescue similar to what you were explaining. Here is the link: http://www.nvfc.org/page/626/show_item/1103/News.htm
    at the bottom of the article is a link to their website, once there click on the apparatus link on the left column to see a picture of the vehicle.

Best of luck
    Boy somebody needs to jump on that. Looks to be in pretty decent shape as far as body is concerned. Maybe a new engine and bingo!
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Now the word is out! Been a number of requests already turned in on that one!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by volfireman034 View Post

Would an ambulance box work for you?

OR

What about a covered box, slide back roof, lots of side compartments, and a pass through compartment on the front? Wired for a Genset, might even be able to get a genset for it.

Both would go one a full ton I think, or larger. (The non ambulance might even
    have a truck under it, 68 or so, but runs well)

The second one would not be good for rehab, but it would be dandy for everything
    else.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you for the information I have been in contact with Brunswick and we are working on it right now thank you all

Thread Information