Thread: Attn: Webteam

Forum Member

Default Attn: Webteam

Recently, you closed all (or most) threads that had been inactive for 60 days. One of these is a "Sticky" thread posted in this section, titled "Wtc News." PLEASE re-open this thread. While information may not come in 60-or-less day intervals, very important, interesting, and at times concerning news is posted in that thread.

Forum Member

Reopen the WTC thread! Reopen the WTC thread! Reopen the WTC thread!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    DITTO! And re-evaluate the way you do most other things while youre at it!
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Forum Member

Next time they log in in June, they'll get to it.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Webteam,

Why would you use the same criteria on the WTC Thread that you use on all the others? Do you not understand how critical it is to keep this information highway open here? Do you not understand that this is simply not just another topic? Please prove that at least on occasion you actually pay attention to what people here say.

REOPEN THE WTC THREAD!
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    This^. As was said it doesn't always come in 60 day intervals, but it is usually valuable and very informative information. Please, reopen the thread.

Forum Member

Reopen the WTC Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    DITTO! And re-evaluate the way you do most other things while youre at it!
    Second both motions.

So far a unanimous vote on both measures.

Of course, the WT will just "happen" by again, remind us all that this site is privately owned and operated, is not a democracy, and ban us all for questioning them openly.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

MembersZone Subscriber

Go yell at them on Facebook. I just did!
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

I decided to put my money where my mouth is, as I was expressing my displeasure in the new WTC Thread ... so I sent this PM to them about 5 1/2 hours ago - it hasn't been read yet.

I have decided to take this opportunity to ask you about the closure of the STICKY thread WTC News.

This is an extremely important, ongoing thread that receives regular updates from a member of FDNY, who is living with the consequences of that day ever since the attacks in many more ways than one, and it should NOT have been closed under the 60 day rule, especially as there are OLDER, much more meaningless threads, that remain open.

Also, does this mean that the STICKY designation as we know it is no longer valid?

Ray (E40FDNYL35) started a new WTC News thread, but I'm requesting that you please reopen the original STICKY thread, transfer the posts on the new thread and then delete it.

I don't know if you've had any feedback regarding the implementation of closing threads older than 60 days, but I can tell you that it is not going over well at all with most of the members I know of. Of course, there are always differences of opinion and those who prefer a new thread to be started rather than using the search feature and updating the original thread with a follow-up article. I would have to say that the majority has always been with the "Search & Update" crowd though.

As I said though, there is a lot of frustration due to inconsistent closing of some threads and not others.

Thank you for your time.

Sheri
    So I will add my voice to the rest of them ...

PLEASE RE-OPEN THE THREAD !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

...but I can tell you that it is not going over well at all with most of the members I know of.
    That's never stopped them before. "going over well with the membership" doesn't seem to be a primary motivating factor in their decision-making process.

What they fail to realize is that their revenue is based on ads, which is in turn based upon reader- and membership. A significant decline in membership and readership because they do things which **** people off, results directly in a decline, even if somewhat delayed, of ad revenue...
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Forum Member

The Webteam, or person, whatever you wish to call it, is just like the rest of the sheeple in america that has forgotten about 9/11 and the effects it had on Firefighters and the nation as a whole. Please reopen what is quite possibly the most important thread on the site.
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber

I can hardly believe my eyes.

Then again this is FH.com we are talking about....

What a joke a publication that was founded by a FDNY fireman again shows that it is completely tone deaf to firemen's issues. How many times have we seen them ignore in-depth, thoughtful and well researched news articles published by an array of sources and they simply cut and paste from the worst tabliods on earth...the NY POST being primary among them.

They allow two cowards and probably not even firemen to begin with to ruin any reasonable discussion on their forums yet guys like me get banned for weeks for questioning the qualifications and credentials of a certain former AZ fire chief. (they claim I used "bad" language, I don't recall ever doing so...)

Now they remove a thread that while not as active as it once was...but on going as things develop with the WTC issues.

What did they do outsource their web operations to Bangladesh?

Pull your head out and fix this forthwith.

FTM-PTB
    Last edited by FFFRED; 01-13-2010 at 06:56 AM.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

THANK YOU my BROTHERS and SISTERS.
    Sorry I have been alittle busy with life. I asked the webteam to reopen this tread and was told it was to old.....so much for NEVER FORGET. So I opened another in the same name (just not in a sticky) I will try to keep THOSE THAT CARE up to date.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post
    They allow two cowards and probably not even firemen to begin with to ruin any reasonable discussion on their forums yet guys like me get banned for weeks for questioning the qualifications and credentials of a certain former AZ fire chief. (they claim I used "bad" language, I don't recall ever doing so...)
    That reminds me Webteam, I am still waiting for answers to my question-

Who are all the members of the (entire!) webteam, and what are their qualifications/experience/training in the Fire Service that grants them the knowledge making them capable of being able to moderate this forum?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    That reminds me Webteam, I am still waiting for answers to my question-

Who are all the members of the (entire!) webteam, and what are their qualifications/experience/training in the Fire Service that grants them the knowledge making them capable of being able to moderate this forum?
    Randy.. we stand a better chance of getting the nuclear launch codes from the Pentagon than an answer to that question.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Hey the wee-team (as in "wee let's screw with the firefighters") reports to some business manager. Who said we only needed to contact the wee-team. Call the Firehouse business office. Let them know that subscription and members are going to quit FH because of the "tactics" of the wee-team. Let them know about the WTC thread. I am going to try and find a number to call, other than the wee-team.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cappy05 View Post
    Hey the wee-team (as in "wee let's screw with the firefighters") reports to some business manager. Who said we only needed to contact the wee-team. Call the Firehouse business office. Let them know that subscription and members are going to quit FH because of the "tactics" of the wee-team. Let them know about the WTC thread. I am going to try and find a number to call, other than the wee-team.
    Keep us updated if you do. This could turn into a "call your congressman" deal. If they get enough calls, I bet something will change.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Keep us updated if you do. This could turn into a "call your congressman" deal. If they get enough calls, I bet something will change.
    Cygnus Business Media
    +800 278 1496
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Lots of on hold so far. I do not know how good this will do but it is worth a shot.

This aside, I do understand the need for moderation. And as frustrating as some of the post are, I do understand not banning someone based on their ineptitude and I do not understand suspending someone because what appears to be a personal problem not because of something in the post. But the WT needs to listen to their members. Yes they have complete control but a forum is not a forum because of a website name. It is a forum because of the members.

Forum Member

Ok, guys. You know my opinion on the WT but I have to say something in their defense this time. What they did was a bulk automatic function. They did not go thread by thread to close thousands of threads older than 60 days. There is an admin function in the forum software that allows you to take bulk action on threads meeting whatever criteria you specify. In this case, they used last-post > 60 days ago.

So I'm 100% positive they didn't intend to close the 9/11 thread. It simply met the criteria of the automated function and it got scooped up. Given that, I'm sure they will re-open it once they log in and see the rash of complaints about it and apologize.

However, since they are so inattentive, few, and far between, it will probably be a while before one of them actually logs in and responds to this issue. In other words, the closing of the thread was an accident. The delay in reopening is because of their atrocious mismanagement of the forum.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

nm, the only problem with that theory is the fact that I saw a thread last updated in 2007 get bumped with a comment a few days ago. That's why I'm not sure it WAS an automatic program that closed the threads, otherwise ALL those older threads would be closed too.

BUT, nothing can sugarcoat the fact that the webteam outright told Ray they would not reopen the thread.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Closing a thread becuase of age makes no sense anyway. Micromanagement at its best.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

WTC News (sticky) open THANK YOU
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

MembersZone Subscriber

I can see the need to do some sort of thread maintenance. A site cannot maintain an infinite number of threads without running out of resources. I wouldn't have a problem with closing and archiving older threads that haven't been read/written to in a while. There should be exceptions, however.. the WTC-thread being a prime example.

Also, Can we PLEASE unsticky the myspace thread and let that one disappear?
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

The original WTC thread has been reopened!
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information