MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Red face Well There Goes The Whole "Take A Cruise" Thing

JUST KIDDING!

'Cougars,''cubs' unwelcome on Carnival cruises

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 (01-12) 12:19 PST MIAMI, (AP)

Carnival Cruise Lines won't be sailing anymore with a boatload of "cougars" and their willing prey. The Miami-based company has turned down a request from a singles travel group to book another cruise with the cougar theme. The term refers to older women who date younger men.

The singles group says the ban is unfounded. They point to their first cruise on Carnival's Elation in December that drew about 300 women and the men they call "cubs."

Carnival says there were no problems with last month's trip, it's just a business decision. They have no room for groups with that "theme."

Analysts say it's meant to protect Carnival's focus on family fun.

Party planners say they've had no trouble booking with rivals Norwegian and Royal Caribbean.

Information from: The Miami Herald, www.herald.com

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs down Not Me...........

Cruises are Useless......... At least most of them. There is only one Cruise that I want to do, and that's on a Riverboat from New Orleans to Somewhere upstream.... St. Louis, Cincinatti, Nashville, Pittsburgh, etc.

This at least provides some scenery when you look out the Window BEYOND what's on the pool deck......... Hey Doug?? Rebuttal??.......

Oh Yeah..... Back to the Subject at hand....... Carnival is just being a bunch of Jerks..... My Daughter, Son-in-Law, and the kids have taken 2 Cruises with Carnival. They've said that they're done with Carnival, too much of hassle with the employees who think that every single person is exactly alike........
    Last edited by hwoods; 01-13-2010 at 10:05 AM.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I'm not one for cruises either, unless they are "working cruises", although a riverboat to somewhere would be pretty kuul. When someone says "cruise" I think Steel Greyhound of Death cruising...

(incidentally, this is a photo of HMCS CALGARY - my second ship, and sister to HMCS VANCOUVER, which was my last ship.)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Though my preferred method of cruising is to be the only guy in a houseboat of nubile,young,bikini clad lovelies(I can't wait to get my injury settlement.guess what I'm spending the money on?),that's all I've ever been on,working cruises.I was amazed when I got out of the Navy that game shows gave cruises away as prizes and that people actually PAY real money to "sail the oceans blue in saucy ships of beauty",with many apologies to Rogers and Hammerstein.
    My ship was a "Hollywood ship" because she starred as "USS Bedford DLG 113" when she was USS Mahan DLG 11 way back in 1965.One petty officer signing me off on my DC Quals even quoted Richard Widmark's "Damage control doesn't matter because everything above the waterline is aluminum.One missile hit and she's sunk.."
    Each crew member in good standing is required to have a copy of that movie and watch it at least once a year.It's kind of like our challenge coin.
    It was 20 years ago last August when I signed aboard my first line haul towboat MV Dick Conerly(now MV Martha Ingram) and started laying rigging for a living.I haven't worked ALL 20 years though.It's more like 12 all accounted for.Matter of fact,in 1995 when I went after my first issue Master 100 tons-Western Rivers license,I had exactly 4 years and 7 days accumulated "sea time" as a deckhand and tankerman according to the Coast Guard office here in Memphis.
    BOT,doesn't Carnival offer gay cruises or is that just a movie I've heard of?If "cougar cruises" aren't very family friendly,what does that say about cruises where the kiddies can see male and female couples openly demonstrating affection?
    Is that a double standard?

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    I'm not one for cruises either, unless they are "working cruises", although a riverboat to somewhere would be pretty kuul. When someone says "cruise" I think Steel Greyhound of Death cruising...

(incidentally, this is a photo of HMCS CALGARY - my second ship, and sister to HMCS VANCOUVER, which was my last ship.)
    Last edited by doughesson; 01-13-2010 at 02:59 PM.

Forum Member

Then only river cruises I've seen offered were over in Europe.According to the "Waterways Journal",the remaining two Queens have now reverted to the Maritime Administration to be laid up,which no doubt has the graveyard where the Greene family currently resides flying from all of them spinning in their graves.They spent all that time and money bringing the Delta Queen from California and running it for years before selling it to another company which ran them into the ground in just a few years.Lots of towboaters are spitting bricks about that.
    No plans that I am aware of exist to offer overnight cruising on the American river systems.Maybe out west,but I don't know.I've "heard" that you can contact towboat companies and ride a few days like you can on freighters but have no idea how to go about it beyond contact the company front office and ask.
    It can't be too hard.In 2005,friends would show me an item in the "New Yorker" magazine where some Damn Yankee liberal(any present are excepted,of course) had wangled a ride as a guest of the Ingram Barge Company and wrote a pretty good article about it,except for the parts where he tried to divine the reasoning behind several jobs on the river.If a writer from the "Noo Yawker" can do it,it must not be hard to do.
    Then again,you might look into renting a houseboat and running it yourself downriver.See how far they'll let you go with it.It might not be from St Paul to New Orleans but it would give you a taste of what can be seen once you get away from city fronts.

And so we don't forget what the original topic is:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcUDq...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Cruises are Useless......... At least most of them. There is only one Cruise that I want to do, and that's on a Riverboat from New Orleans to Somewhere upstream.... St. Louis, Cincinatti, Nashville, Pittsburgh, etc.

This at least provides some scenery when you look out the Window BEYOND what's on the pool deck......... Hey Doug?? Rebuttal??.......

Oh Yeah..... Back to the Subject at hand....... Carnival is just being a bunch of Jerks..... My Daughter, Son-in-Law, and the kids have taken 2 Cruises with Carnival. They've said that they're done with Carnival, too much of hassle with the employees who think that every single person is exactly alike........
    Last edited by doughesson; 01-13-2010 at 03:16 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Alaska State Ferry from Seattle North. Camp out (in tent) on the stern. Great time.

Thread Information