Thread: some questions

Forum Member

Default some questions

I'm not officially a junior at my department as our bylaws won't allow it, yet. I've been hanging out at the firehouse since I was about 9 and I've grown up around the guys at my department. They allow me to do alot of the stuff they do. I was wondering what type of courses/tests I can take because I really want to get ahead and get more training done. I'm CPR/AED certified and I've had to use that training several times. I was wondering if there is any basic FF classes I can take or anything because I'm only 16. I train with my department (vent training, extrication, etc.) but I'm looking for more stuff like EMT-B training and FF stuff because it would help me out alot. Any advice is appreciated! -Tyler

Forum Member

Depending on your state I believe you can get your emt basic certification, I dont think its the same for FFI. I personally have not turned 18 yet and am not allowed to test for either certification yet, even though I have started FFI.

Oh and I live in Iowa.

Forum Member

Cool thanks man, I'm in Texas

MembersZone Subscriber

In Texas you have to be 18 to enroll or test for EMT-B or FF1 or FF2 . But from the sound of it you have a good group of guy's that are willing to let you learn and train with them. My advise to you is to hang in there learn as much as you can from the guys at your dept and when you turn 18 enroll in some from of acemdemy

Forum Member

Thanks for the advice!

Forum Member

Once you turn 17 1/2 or so you can start the courses and then be able to test right when you turn 18. The best thing I can reccomend is learn the basics. SCBA, turnouts, tools, etc. because lets face it once you get your certification and can fight interior chances are your department isnt going to let you on your first house fire grab a hoseline and run in. Along with that and if you know that it makes FFI seem like a breeze and I can tell you from experience if you are young and you go in there knowing your ****, it impresses the hell out of instructors and other classmates who may be many years older.

Forum Member

That's what I've started doing. It helps being able to drive now. I'm starting to spend an hour or so a week atleast at the station practicing getting geared up, SCBA, memorizing where tools are on trucks, etc. I've gotten to do alot of training over the past year: we cut up some old cars to practice extrications, roof venting, I've ran the maze a few times, practiced SAR for a "downed FF" in an abandoned building. I'll keep training, thanks for all the help!

Forum Member

Thats good. It makes you feel that much more comfortable when actually interior if you have trust in your knowledge and equipment.

Default Nims

eventually you will need to take the online National Incident Management System (NIMS) Certification. You can take this online at any age, and it never expires. The two you will absolutely need are NIMS 100, and NIMS 700. But you can take all of them if you would like. I am almost 17, and i have completed both of them. You can go to training.fema.gov and navigate through the page to get to the classes. they are long, dry, and boring... but they are necessary. GOOD LUCK, HAVE FUN, but most importantly, BE SAFE!

Forum Member

Most of the state training requires you to be 18 to take it. Mainly because you have to be a legal adult to agree to the training and all the crap it opens you up to.

On the NIMS/ICS stuff I would say take 100a, 200a, 700a, 800b and 701. They are BORING to do but you can use the certificates. Also doesn't hurt to look at some of the stuff on the different training sites. Practice your rope skills.
    http://www.feti.lsu.edu/municipal/NFA/TRADE/index.php? Has some good info even though some is dated. You never know when some obscure idea will be the one you need for some odd situation.
    Ask if you can look at the SOGs and then ask if you have questions.
    If your dept is hurting for able bodies ask friends who seem interested. Doesn't hurt having a couple people your age to talk to and practice with.

MembersZone Subscriber

This should help with your knots.
    http://www.animatedknots.com/

Thread Information