MembersZone Subscriber

Default wildland fire 2010

Hi,
    I have been sending in apps everywhere and have heard back from a few about referrals..... what's this mean as far as my chances for being hired? i am completely new to this and if anyone also can give me any insight as to what its like out there would be greatly appreciated..
    Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by galice View Post
    Hi,
    I have been sending in apps everywhere and have heard back from a few about referrals..... what's this mean as far as my chances for being hired? i am completely new to this and if anyone also can give me any insight as to what its like out there would be greatly appreciated..
    Thanks
    Referrals or references????? There's a big difference there. If they're talking about references, well, that doesn't mean a thing, except that your app met the "basic qualifications" for the position and they are contacting the people/previous employers you listed for reference checks. That means absolutely nothing, unless of course they all give you bad references.
    Otherwise, the hiring process continues with your app being evaluated and rated, then the referral list being generated.
    If it's gone to referrals (which it seems a lil early for, but *shrug* depending where you're at and applying to...), that means your name has been ranked and put on a list for the selecting officials at the locations you applied to to look at. Which really, that also in the grander scheme of things, means jack.

It's been mentioned about 50 billion to the thirtieth power number of times on here that you need to make phone calls and visits to the places you want to work. In the Federal system, it is not what you know, in any way, shape, or form, but who you know. If you're just a random name on a list, well, you won't be picked. Period. Unless you're the last name on a list for a position they must fill....

Sad but true, sorry. So get your butt out there and go sell yourself, make some phone calls... since you're a brand newb, ya prob don't have much in the way of quals to sell yourself on, so emphasize your work ethic and willingness to learn. A very wise Engine Captain who was a former Shots Captain as well told me: "The heart of what we do in the Forest Service is manual labor..." and he's absolutely right.
    You'll hike, a LOT, and cut line, a LOT, even on an Engine Company (and on Engines you will hump a TON of hose...you guessed it--A LOT).
    When it comes down to it, as a newb seasonal the most important thing you can bring is a "can-do" attitude, which means no grumbling, no whining, no crying. You will draw the crappy assignments as a 1st-year, and you're expected to nod, say "yes sir" and get yer 姧 up the hill to take that extra hose, the mop-up kit, the full backpack pump, whatever... and a willingness to watch, ask questions, and learn.
    Emphasize those factors, assuming you have them...if you attempt to BS a Captain promising a hard work ethic and willingness to learn and then act contrary to your word, you will have an extremely unpleasant season... so sell yourself but do so honestly, and that's about the best I can think of.

If you've got something more specific, throw it out there...
    Last edited by the1141man; 01-14-2010 at 04:59 AM.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Thread Information