Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    A Great place USA, which means not West Coast...!

Default Where the heck is the living quarters?? (OCFR) FL.

I came across this picture of Orange County (OCFR) Fl. I know they are a full time fire department but I cannot understand where the crew lives/eats/sleeps? Anyone know why they have it set up like this?? Also why would they park their rigs outside?

http://karlsfirephotos.smugmug.com/F...28_krana-X3-LB

http://karlsfirephotos.smugmug.com/F...920_QRpfU-A-LB
    FDNY 343 9/11/01 WILL Never Forget!

(W-6)

"We Lucky Few We Band of Brothers." William Shakespeare

"let no man's ghost return to say his training let him down. "

D-P-T

Quote Originally Posted by TruckSixFF View Post
    I came across this picture of Orange County (OCFR) Fl. I know they are a full time fire department but I cannot understand where the crew lives/eats/sleeps? Anyone know why they have it set up like this?? Also why would they park their rigs outside?

It is called a temp fire house until a new one can be built or is being built. The house on the D side is the living quarters

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TruckSixFF View Post

We have several "temporary" stations, the ones in the pictures are 28 and 29. they are in trailers. We also have one in a rented house,86, one in a strip mall 32 and one that is going in an old resturant, 57. You can check them all out at

www.ocfrd.com

That's firehouse 28 out near Apopka, Fl. They have a trailer for living quaters and a covered pad for their rigs. Temp housing as stated above.
    -Rob
    Greater love has no man than to lay his life down for a friend.

Looks like they sleep in the mobile home in the 2nd pic. As posted above....looks to be a temp house.

Our dept went through many remodels/new builds over the last decade. Here are some shots of one station's accommodations.....

MembersZone Subscriber KevinFFVFD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jwarne2001 View Post
    Looks like they sleep in the mobile home in the 2nd pic. As posted above....looks to be a temp house.

Our dept went through many remodels/new builds over the last decade. Here are some shots of one station's accommodations.....

I can dig that, seems cozy.

Beats a tent in the middle of the desert, 24/7, for 6 months.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Central Florida Growth

I think you are seeing the results of the massive growth Central Florida has seen over the last 10-15 years. Orange County and others in Central Florida have been unable to fund and build new stations fast enough to handle the increased fire protection demands. I think this is also true of the school systems. Most schools have portable temporary class rooms.

Forum Member

For the strip mall fire house, do they just have a store front they work out of and keep the rig out in the parking lot? Do you guys have theft problems with the rigs just out and exposed like that?

I guess you guys can get away with that stuff, up north we can only do it maybe 4-6 months a year before we started having problems with low temps.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    For the strip mall fire house, do they just have a store front they work out of and keep the rig out in the parking lot? Do you guys have theft problems with the rigs just out and exposed like that?

I guess you guys can get away with that stuff, up north we can only do it maybe 4-6 months a year before we started having problems with low temps.

They are in a Publix shopping center. They have a big shed at the end of the plaza. We have not had any problems. it is in a good part of town.

MembersZone Subscriber KevinFFVFD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JMac73 View Post
    They are in a Publix shopping center. They have a big shed at the end of the plaza. We have not had any problems. it is in a good part of town.
    Glad you guys are. If we did something like that hear we would start finding some of our equipment on EBAY or in a pawn shop.

Once while I was down in Gulfport MS I visited a fire station what was totally destroyed during Katrina. The only thing left standing of the original station was the metal frame and the roof. So they parked their engine under the roof and lived in a mobile home. I think they are still doing this unless they have changed since the last time I was there.

MembersZone Subscriber

I work for Polk County and we have had to use temporary stations over the years. Station 15 was in a trailer so long we started calling it Lot 15. Now they are in a new station, but we still have several temporary sites.

several of the stations in Charlotte County were working out of mobile homes or FEMA trailers after Hurricane Charley leveled much of the county in 2004. the City of North Port has temp stations for where they expanded their coverage of the city, but were unable to build complete stations, generally just an open side pole barn and some sort of mobile home does the job
    "If you can't be a good example, the you'll just have to be a terrible warning."

Thread Information