Forum Member

Default Any Teams Going to Haiti to help ??

Hi, I am a FF / Medic for the Florida Keys...I do not belong to any TRT, USAR team but want to go to Haiti to Help, if any one else is interested of setting something up please email me : marioromera@me.com or PM me here.

God Bless

Forum Member

I am sure your intentions are good, but why not leave it up to the experts, who are properly trained (not only in operations but command structure, international relations/operations,) equipped, and administratively supported (Insurance, Health to include all proper shots, physicals, etc..)
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

It is not likely that anyone who isn't part of one of the 28 USAR Teams will be able to go on this one.

EXCEPT, perhaps individuals that have worked for DHS/FEMA in a support or auxiliary functions in the past; e.g.: logisitcs.

At least Ten USAR teams (about 900 to 1200 personnel) are already there or on the move, and a few more may be activated.

There is no official call-up for other personnel in the works, although a few special teams may be on standby for specific tasks.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Forum Member

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinKnight View Post

It is not likely that anyone who isn't part of one of the 28 USAR Teams will be able to go on this one.

EXCEPT, perhaps individuals that have worked for DHS/FEMA in a support or auxiliary functions in the past; e.g.: logisitcs.

At least Ten USAR teams (about 900 to 1200 personnel) are already there or on the move, and a few more may be activated.

There is no official call-up for other personnel in the works, although a few special teams may be on standby for specific tasks.

Has what he said and also FWD. If you ARE NOT a member of one of the USAR TEAMS, you aren't going. Stay put and do your job in sunny, wet and cold Florida!

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Totally understand...i figure i would get these responses, just thought theres something else i can do to help besides donating stuff...Here in the Keys when we go through a Hurricane.. a helping hand is always needed, i understand the dangers of not being certified to be on the USAR etc.. thought id give it a shot and help thats all

Forum Member

Only Specific Certified and Trained Personnel will participate in this one.

What happens in the US on your ground is another matter.

The rules are vastly different for International Assistance.

It isn't uncommon that many of us want to do more. But how do you think you can do anything? I'm not trying to beat you up or attack you, but without being involved within the established Chain of Command. you're just in the way, a bystander, or a lone wolf.

We learned alot over the years since 9/11. Katrina was so huge and and so many just showed up that the guys in Baton Rouge had a hard time finding and keeping up with them. Too many arrived and decided to go their own way and do their own thing. So I do not think you will ever see a repeat of what happened during the Fire Service Call Up and Deployment in 2005.

The Plan involves a structured deployment and using exactly what they need.

For future reference, I suggest that you study FEMA, NIMS, the NIC and US&R.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

something to perhaps look into is going down with mercy ships or red cross (only if you have volunteered with them in the past) or some other medical organization, as you mention paramedic cert. While firefighting opportunities seem to be much as other people have stated, there perhaps is room for another trained medical person in the structure of these large groups. I am currently looking into these possibilities myself, will update with any further info.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=PaladinKnight;1134462]It isn't uncommon that many of us want to do more. But how do you think you can do anything? I'm not trying to beat you up or attack you, but without being involved within the established Chain of Command. you're just in the way, a bystander, or a lone wolf.QUOTE]

Same here, Romera. No one is knocking you for wanting to help. If you are serious, why not look into becoming qualified to join one of the USAR Teams?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FF Romera View Post
    Hi, I am a FF / Medic for the Florida Keys...I do not belong to any TRT, USAR team but want to go to Haiti to Help, if any one else is interested of setting something up please email me : marioromera@me.com or PM me here.

God Bless
    Best of luck to you if you can make it over there, we all know they can use all the medical care they can get.

Keepin it real

Quote Originally Posted by kyle77 View Post
    Best of luck to you if you can make it over there, we all know they can use all the medical care they can get.
    The latest is the FAA has stopped all flight into Haiti from the US, only thing flying is military transports.
    Peace to our fallen brothers...

9/11/01 NYC WTC

7/4/02 Gloucester City, NJ

-=IACOJ=- The proof is in the crust

......Work hard, play hard, and always have fun along the way......

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NJTF1Bowman View Post
    The latest is the FAA has stopped all flight into Haiti from the US, only thing flying is military transports.
    Aren't USAR teams transported on military planes?

Forum Member

Exclamation

Double post.

Forum Member

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by FireRescue61 View Post
    Yes they sure are! How else would you think they get from point A to point B?

That is if they need to fly. Somethimes a bus takes them if it is close.

MembersZone Subscriber

Your title really sums it up. You are looking for a team. Teams in this kind of stuff don't get formed the day of the incident, they are formed long in advance. That way your skills are already known, your paperwork is done, your gear is ready, etc.

You state you are a medic, and thats great, but again no one knows the depth of that certification - nor the experience behind it.

Have you contacted your supervisors about this? Perhaps they could talk to the state
    mutual aid coordinators, but I suspect the flow incountry is about to slow down.

They would also be the ones that could tell you - if you happen to speak french or creole,
    enough to hold a normal conversation comfortably, there is a strong need, and FEMA has put out that request - through channels. That is - firefighters and EMS personnel who can speak French or Creole.

To try to circumvent the normal channels, to me, IMHO, YMMV, smacks of self dispatching, which makes no difference if it is to the brush fire in the adjoining district, or to a major even like Katrina, is a scourge, and anyone participating in self dispatching should be removed from their position.

If you can speak French or Creole, let them know upstream through your chain of command. There is a need for that.

In the meantime, get involved with your task force or DMAT. Be ready for next time!

Keepin it real

Quote Originally Posted by FireRescue61 View Post
    What was mean was, The only way to get there would be by military flight and if your not on a team your not getting there, not that you would want to now since it's getting a bit hairy. You wouldn't want to be a freelancer there with no one looking out for you.

in the mean time, sign up for your state US&R team. Like after 9-11-01 there was big interest in US&R from the people that couldn't go due to little to no training. You will be much the wiser for it.. But be prepared it's not easy you will see 80+ hours per year just to keep your training current after you get the basic training
    Last edited by NJTF1Bowman; 01-19-2010 at 03:15 AM. Reason: more info
    Peace to our fallen brothers...

9/11/01 NYC WTC

7/4/02 Gloucester City, NJ

-=IACOJ=- The proof is in the crust

......Work hard, play hard, and always have fun along the way......

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I am sure your intentions are good, but why not leave it up to the experts, who are properly trained (not only in operations but command structure, international relations/operations,) equipped, and administratively supported (Insurance, Health to include all proper shots, physicals, etc..)
    Leave it up to the experts? The man didnt say he wanted to go over there and operate heavy machinery or grip people from the jaws of death. The man wanted to help out. He's a FF/paramedic and in defenition an expert in the pre-hospital setting. He could stand by why USAR teams are extricating pt's and when theyve been extricated there he is to do pt care. Theres alot of doctors over there but they cant be everywhere. Thats why god made PARAMEDICS

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Southern_Medic218 View Post
    Leave it up to the experts? The man didnt say he wanted to go over there and operate heavy machinery or grip people from the jaws of death. The man wanted to help out. He's a FF/paramedic and in defenition an expert in the pre-hospital setting. He could stand by why USAR teams are extricating pt's and when theyve been extricated there he is to do pt care. Theres alot of doctors over there but they cant be everywhere. Thats why god made PARAMEDICS

4 posts, all the same thing in two threads. Joined today.

Southern_medic218 you need to check out this web page.

www.yournothingbutaTROLL.com

Forum Member

Being a paramedic does not make you an "expert" on operating in an overseas disaster zone, in any capacity. Why do you think you are the ONLY one who sees things this way? It is becuase most people know better.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Exclamation

Go away kid, the older guys in here don't want to hear you or your little wacker buddy.

Get on the plane fly to Mimia and see if there is a boat you can hop on and work you way to the action.

When you get there march in the surf up to the man in cahrage and tell them that you are the big time medic from the south here to save all of the folks.

Then.....

See what happens next!

Forum Member

That's why God made PARAMEDICS?
    I know and have worked with many that who are consumate professionals... then there is this type...

PissyAttitudeReactiveA**holeMyEducationDidn'tIncludeCarryingSuckers...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

What they said ^ ^. I just posted a similar post and mine ended bad! But LVFD301 helped with a lot of info for future events so listen to em. I hope it all works out and you're trained and ready for the next big event! Be safe.
    Firefighter/EMT 712
    NREMT
    Gifford Fire And Rescue
    6 month Probie
    Medic Student

MembersZone Subscriber

I love these "I just want to help" people. What they really mean is that they want to go to the "big one", have their picture taken and then post it on their facebook page.

I would challenge you to assess how much you really want to help.

Wait 6-12 months. Then go down there with an organized group that goes to build houses and clean up the mess. Go with them when they are going to help put the irrigation systems back in. Go with them when they are trying to get their schools up and running again. That's what these people really need. Not a jolly volly looking for a photo op.

In fact, there are still mission trips to LA and MS putting houses back together for those folks. How many of these have you guys who "just want to help" been on??
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

If I had scored 10 points lower on my civil service exam, I could have been a paramagician.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    I love these "I just want to help" people. What they really mean is that they want to go to the "big one", have their picture taken and then post it on their facebook page.
    FINALLY someone said it.

Forum Member

Exclamation

I am not going to argue with those who want to be involved with the Haiti incident.

If you aren't a member of the FEAM USAR Team(s) then you aren't invited.

As everyone else has said, is they want you there they will ask you to go.

Some of the members cannot go for whatever reasons so that is why each TF has ample amount of members.

Here is a link any of you can go to and learn about the teams.

http://www.fema.gov/emergency/usr/
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information