Forum Member

Default Internal harness question.

We are currently using the RIT external class II harness. I have no issues with it, but there has been talk of converting to internal harnesses on our next gear order.

Based on what i have seen with Internal harness, most seem to have just a single D ring that sticks out above the fly on the front. Fine if your going to use it strictly as an attachment point for a bail out kit. But what about as a ladder belt? The RIT's we have now have a large Pompier hook on a piece of webbing that is there when you need it. The Gemtor works the same way.

So what are you with internal harness using as a ladder attachment? And as far as internal harnesses, are you basically stuck with using the brand your turnout company offers? Or are there other choices?

Any other comfort issues with the internal? I like the idea that i can swap my harness from one pair of pants to the next with ease on the external harness. But that same convienience can also be a pain when the straps get hung up at times pulling your pants up.

Tips? Tricks? Suggestions?

Forum Member

I personally wear the same harness, but on the inside of my gear. You can get a lanyard with a ladder hook and still use that harness as a ladder attachment. You just won't have it attached to you at all times. If you are going to be on a ladder, get the lanyard. Less weight to carry all the time if you don't need it.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jbrescue View Post
    I personally wear the same harness, but on the inside of my gear. You can get a lanyard with a ladder hook and still use that harness as a ladder attachment. You just won't have it attached to you at all times. If you are going to be on a ladder, get the lanyard. Less weight to carry all the time if you don't need it.
    Wait, you wear the RIT Class II inside your bunker pants? Or are you talking about you have an internal harness?

Forum Member

Yes, the harness is available with or without loops and d rings. I assume that your harness looks like a regular seat harness and you have loops sewn on your gear to keep it in place. I have the same harness with the loops and d's. You use the snaps of your liners with the d rings to keep it in place. I actually wear mine directly against my body and it stays in my gear. The a frame and d ring for the harness end up outside my gear for attachment.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Thread Information