Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Boston FF exam 2010

So apparantly there will be a test on April 24th with applications being accepted until April 1. I am not sure if there is already a thread on this, but I didn't see one. I am still trying to decide whether to go up and take it or not. I am not a resident so will not get the points. I am wondering if it's even worth it then. Anybody has taken the test for Boston before??

http://www.cityofboston.gov/fire/employment/

Forum Member

It's not worth it if your are not able to claim a residence in the city. Even if you get a perfect score on the test the dumbest resident who passed will be bumped ahead of you. Unlike some other cities they don't just give 5 or 10 extra points, they put residents at the top. It cost me 200 dollars to find out last exam in Mass. that it was useless applying without an address. If you really want Boston, move there next year and join the reserves, then you'll be looking good for the 2012 test.

Forum Member

I don't really want Boston that bad. I really want fdny. And I scored decent enough here to get called. However with the city's budget problems, they have stopped hiring for the time being. And don't even get me started on this affirmative action disgrace......
    Last edited by roadrunner09; 01-15-2010 at 01:11 PM.

Forum Member

Keep in mind that if you take this test, it's the State Civil Service test that many departments across the state use. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can select 4 departments you wish your scores to be sent to. As to whether the smaller departments are even hiring and you're just sending scores for no reason, you'd have to call and find out. Does anyone know if the other towns place residents and veterans at the top of the list?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by donedeal View Post
    Keep in mind that if you take this test, it's the State Civil Service test that many departments across the state use. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can select 4 departments you wish your scores to be sent to.
    Interesting....

Forum Member

Well, like the lotto says, " You have to be in it to win it." They might they might hire a bunch off the next list. I took the test in 2008 and for me it seemed like a waste of time without residency, even in the smaller towns my rank was 35 or 40. I'm a vet and scored well on the test and physical but with the residents being pushed right to the top it killed my chances of getting on with a two year list. Not going to do it this year, keeping my money and applying in NJ.

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    I don't really want Boston that bad. I really want fdny. And I scored decent enough here to get called. However with the city's budget problems, they have stopped hiring for the time being. And don't even get me started on this affirmative action disgrace......
    Test for the job so you can get the experience.

Besides, you may or may not ever get on at the FDNY. They have points too.

You may one or even two chances fo the FDNY.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Test for the job so you can get the experience.

Besides, you may or may not ever get on at the FDNY. They have points too.

You may one or even two chances fo the FDNY.

Yeah I have the residence points for the fdny. I guess I'll see, if they ever start hiring again.....I have to think about Boston. It's hard for me to take weekends off of work. Thanks for the advice though....

Forum Member

Keep in mind that if you take this test, it's the State Civil Service test that many departments across the state use.
    That is what i heard as well. A buddy of mine is taking it. In fact, he is taking his physical next week. They have some deal where you can take your physical BEFORE the written test and if you fail the physical, you get your money back from the written test.

Forum Member

I'm taking the test, even though I know its impossible to get on.
    Last edited by VirginiaFF1; 02-11-2010 at 08:31 AM.

Forum Member

Damn^^^^ Well that settles that then......

MembersZone Subscriber

I have been taking the Mass civil service test for 12 years and never scored lower than a 98 back when they scored just the written and 2 years ago I got a 14 with the written and PAT. If you are not a resident don't waste the time and money. The last test they had I had moved from Stoneham to Medford and they wouldn't let me claim residency in either town because I had left stoneham and wasn't in Medford a full year.

Quote Originally Posted by irish2522 View Post
    Well, like the lotto says, " You have to be in it to win it." They might they might hire a bunch off the next list. I took the test in 2008 and for me it seemed like a waste of time without residency, even in the smaller towns my rank was 35 or 40. I'm a vet and scored well on the test and physical but with the residents being pushed right to the top it killed my chances of getting on with a two year list. Not going to do it this year, keeping my money and applying in NJ.

NJ is no better, actually its worse. In NJ you wont even show up on any of the FD's lists if you dont have a residence in that city.
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

Forum Member

Keep in mind that if you take this test, it's the State Civil Service test that many departments across the state use. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can select 4 departments you wish your scores to be sent to. As to whether the smaller departments are even hiring and you're just sending scores for no reason, you'd have to call and find out. Does anyone know if the other towns place residents and veterans at the top of the list?
    The other towns do exactly the same thing. There is one main list for all the towns/cities that use the Civil Service results. Some of the smaller towns don't even use the Civil Service results, those are the same places that most likely have vols on their force. The order is resident d-vet, resident vet, resident, non-resident d-vet, non-res vet, everyone else. As it has been mentioned, even if a resident gets an 1 (the lowest possible), they will be higher than an non-res that gets a 15 (best possible).

The good thing about having the four different lists, is that you can switch whenever you want to. This means that you can be on Boston and three others, see where you are on that list, how many candidates, how many are EMTs/Medics, and then switch to a completely new four lists in order to get the same information. The only downside to this is that everyone else can do the exact same thing, so if you are 10th on the list one day, you could be 20th the next week if everyone decides to move onto that list and they have better scores than you.

For band score information (from 2008), see: https://www.csexam.hrd.state.ma.us/s...eBandF2008.asp

Thread Information