Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    I honestly do not recall ANYONE saying 2004 was a mandate. 2004, if anything, was a repudiation of Kerry.
    George, there were a few political talking heads that I remember hearing saying it was a mandate - but I cannot recall who they were.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Took me a couple seconds to find it, but here is Martha Coakley insulting Curt Schilling. Calling a Red Sox player or fan a Yankee fan in these parts will undoubtedly cause the person a slight sense of fear for their life initially.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmNpcMHwOa8
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

Forum Member

I honestly do not recall ANYONE saying 2004 was a mandate. 2004, if anything, was a repudiation of Kerry.

Many conservatives in the media ignored or downplayed Bush's extraordinarily narrow margin of victory and the unprecedented number of voters who expressed opposition to Bush's agenda by voting for Kerry:

The Wall Street Journal: "The voters did [decide the election] -- including millions of conservative first-timers whom the exit polls and media missed -- emerging from the pews and exurban driveways to give President Bush what by any measure is a decisive mandate for a second term. ... Just because an election is close doesn't mean it isn't decisive. ... We do already know ... that Mr. Bush has been given the kind of mandate that few politicians are ever fortunate enough to receive." [Wall Street Journal editorial, "The Bush mandate," 11/4/04]

William J. Bennett, conservative author and nationally syndicated radio host: "Having restored decency to the White House, President Bush now has a mandate to affect policy that will promote a more decent society, through both politics and law. His supporters want that, and have given him a mandate in their popular and electoral votes to see to it." [National Review Online, "The Great Relearning," 11/3/04]

CNN host Tucker Carlson, co-host of CNN's Crossfire: "[N]obody has done it since 1988. The president wins reelection with a majority of the vote. It is a mandate. What will he do with it now? [CNN, Crossfire, 11/3/04]

The New York Sun: "[I]t was hard, at 3:35 a.m., when these words were written, to see much point to the quest that Senator Kerry has undertaken in Ohio other than to indulge a certain kind of bitterness, to poison American politics for the coming term, and to seek to dilute the extraordinary mandate Mr. Bush, if not yet in the Electoral College, has received among Americans from coast to coast." [The New York Sun editorial, "The Popular Vote," 11/3/04]

Peggy Noonan, Wall Street Journal contributing editor: "He [Bush] has, I would argue, a mandate now. You can bet he's going forward boldly. He announced it today in his victory speech. He said, 'Honey, I'm not just going to lower your taxes. I am transforming the tax system.'" [FOX News Channel, Hannity & Colmes, 11/3/04]

Pat Buchanan, MSNBC political analyst: "There's no doubt about it, this was a vote against, by the red-state folks who gave the victory to George Bush, it was a rejection of blue-state America. It was a rejection of their values, their attacks on the president. ... And the idea, it seems to me, that somehow the folks who won should now surrender part of whatever mandate they have to the folks who lost -- I can tell you, what we're hearing on this panel, people out there in red-state America are finding it very offensive." [MSNBC, Hardball with Chris Matthews, 11/3/04]

William Kristol, Weekly Standard executive editor: "The hair-pullers and teeth-gnashers won't like it, of course, but we're nevertheless inclined to call this a mandate. Indeed, in one sense, we think it an even larger and clearer mandate than those won in the landslide reelection campaigns of Nixon in 1972, Reagan in 1984, and Clinton in 1996." [The Weekly Standard, "Misunderestimated," 11/15/04 issue]

Mainstream media outlets followed conservatives' lead in trumpeting Bush's narrow victory as a mandate:

Tony Karon, TIME magazine columnist and senior editor: "George W. Bush took the reins of power with the confidence and certainty of one who had carried a landslide mandate to implement his own agenda. This time, of course, his claim of a popular mandate is incontrovertible. His party has strengthened its grip on both branches of the legislature, and freed of any first-term restraints that might be thrown up by reelection concerns, President George W. Bush is well positioned to even more vigorously pursue his agenda." [TIME, "Victorious Bush Reaches Out," 11/3/04]

Dan Chapman, Atlanta Journal-Constitution global economics and business reporter: "Bush, buoyed by a popular mandate and a more Republican Congress, will probably receive the financial and military wherewithal to fight the insurgency and rebuild Iraq." [Atlanta Journal-Constitution, "Bush gets voters' nod on Iraq, but outlook risky," 11/4/04]

Keith Miller, NBC News correspondent: "Bush, who won by more than three and a half million votes, has a solid mandate that will force the attention of America's enemies and allies." [NBC Nightly News, 11/3/04]

Rafael Lorente, Sun-Sentinel (Fort Lauderdale, FL) Washington bureau: "Americans not only gave President Bush a mandate, they also gave him the necessary tools in the form of more Republican House and Senate colleagues to push through his conservative agenda." [Sun-Sentinel, "Bush now has the tools to energize his priority programs," 11/4/04, syndicated by Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services]

Doyle McManus and Janet Hook, Los Angeles Times staff writers: "Four years ago, George W. Bush won his first term with fewer votes than his opponent, but governed as if the nation had granted him a clear mandate to pursue conservative policies. This time, Bush can claim a solid mandate of 51% of the vote, which made him the first presidential candidate to win a clear majority since 1988 -- a point Bush aides made repeatedly Wednesday." [Los Angeles Times, "Majority Win Could Make Second Term More Partisan," 11/4/04]
    Just to give the accolades some perspective. Bush's 2004 victory was the narrowest margin of victory for an incumbent since Woodrow Wilson in 1916. And certainly the narrowest for a wartime president.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Many conservatives in the media ignored or downplayed Bush's extraordinarily narrow margin of victory and the unprecedented number of voters who expressed opposition to Bush's agenda by voting for Kerry:

Just to give the accolades some perspective. Bush's 2004 victory was the narrowest margin of victory for an incumbent since Woodrow Wilson in 1916. And certainly the narrowest for a wartime president.
    Actually, (and I feel a little dumb right now) what I meant was anyone on these forums. I knew there were press people that said it. I guess I should have been more explicit.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber

Her statement that Al Qaeda is no longer in Afghanistan show her gross lack of understanding given the deaths of several CIA employees - including one from a town near me and Gonzo - and the deaths of 3 soldiers in Afghanistan the VERY DAY she made the statement are not endearing a lot of folks. It shows, as I said, a lack of understanding of the matter.
    I can't remember her name, but isn't there a conservative female who once ran for VP that is continually vilified in the press for not having an in-depth knowledge of these types of matters. What was her name again? You know, the one who is now on the opposite side of yet another liberal double standard.

MembersZone Subscriber

Let me say a word about the "liberal base". The "liberal base" that is constantly referred to is only the "financial base" of the party. This small percentage is thought to be much larger because it has two things that moderate democrats do not have; gobs of cash and access to the media.

This "base" has the Dem congress eating out of their hands. They are going to help drive the Dem bus right off the cliff in November.

Forum Member

I can't remember her name, but isn't there a conservative female who once ran for VP that is continually vilified in the press for not having an in-depth knowledge of these types of matters. What was her name again? You know, the one who is now on the opposite side of yet another liberal double standard.
    OH yeah. I know who you are talking about. Man....what was her name. I can see her, but I can't place it....

Oh yeah, it was Sarah Palin - just in case scfire86 forgot. We'd hate for him to get caught up in his hypocracy and ideology.

Forum Member

Let me say a word about the "liberal base". The "liberal base" that is constantly referred to is only the "financial base" of the party. This small percentage is thought to be much larger because it has two things that moderate democrats do not have; gobs of cash and access to the media.

This "base" has the Dem congress eating out of their hands. They are going to help drive the Dem bus right off the cliff in November.
    Sad thing is that the Republicans have a base that they love to court.

I agree, there are so many special interest groups scattered throughout the Democratic "base" and they cannot keep everyone happy.

The independents voted in Barack Obama in this nation, and he has not held up his end of the deal. The things that he did do in the last year have been less than fruitful and, while many (including myself) may find President Obama to be a nice guy and very personable - his lack of action and inability to keep his campaign promises is hurting him, and the Democrats in general.

You can't please everyone all the time. Something has to give.

Of an interesting note, the past week or so I have read several newspaper and internet articles calling Scott Brown an inexperienced Senator and "little-known" but these were the same descriptors used to describe Mr. Obama......and we were told by many in the left side of the political persuasion that this was a good thing. Funny how it only works for Democrats.

Banned

The Dems are starting to question the Health Care bill. When Brown wins the whole thing is doomed. Brown has run his campaign on the notion he will oppose the bill and stop it. When a liberal state like MA makes this statement it has to make others take notice.

also of note is Prostitute Nelson has lost is popularity since jumping on the bandwagon.

Health reform teeters as GOP seeks Massachusetts miracle

New poll lows for Nelson after health care vote

Poll: Brown makes gains in Mass. Senate Race

According to an American Research Group survey, 52 percent of likely voters back Brown, a state senator, with 45 percent supporting Coakley, the state's attorney general. Meanwhile, 2 percent back Joseph Kennedy, a third party candidate who is not related to the late senator. The 7-point advantage for Brown is just within the poll's sampling error.

Brown had a 48 to 45 percent advantage in an ARG poll released over the weekend.

The survey indicates 97 percent of likely Republican voters are backing Brown, independent voters supporting him 64 to 32 percent over Coakley, and nearly one out of 4 Democrats also supporting Brown.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    Sad thing is that the Republicans have a base that they love to court.

I agree, there are so many special interest groups scattered throughout the Democratic "base" and they cannot keep everyone happy.

The independents voted in Barack Obama in this nation, and he has not held up his end of the deal. The things that he did do in the last year have been less than fruitful and, while many (including myself) may find President Obama to be a nice guy and very personable - his lack of action and inability to keep his campaign promises is hurting him, and the Democrats in general.

You can't please everyone all the time. Something has to give.

Of an interesting note, the past week or so I have read several newspaper and internet articles calling Scott Brown an inexperienced Senator and "little-known" but these were the same descriptors used to describe Mr. Obama......and we were told by many in the left side of the political persuasion that this was a good thing. Funny how it only works for Democrats.
    The independent vote was the point of my post. The "base" delivers money and press, but the only way for them to win elections is to get the independent vote. Right now, that independent vote appears to be on an Exodus to the GOP.

Forum Member

Actually, (and I feel a little dumb right now) what I meant was anyone on these forums. I knew there were press people that said it. I guess I should have been more explicit.
    I'll give you the gimme on that one.

Reading some of those remarks, one should believe by the standards that is claimed as a Bush mandate, then Obama's victory (7%) is a virtual landslide.

Yet nothing of the sort was written by those same individuals.

Back In Black

I'll give you the gimme on that one.

Reading some of those remarks, one should believe by the standards that is claimed as a Bush mandate, then Obama's victory (7%) is a virtual landslide.

Yet nothing of the sort was written by those same individuals.
    Virtual???

Oh no. It was a landslide. Just read from our unbiased media.

http://www.time.com/time/politics/ar...856560,00.html

Regardless of the outcome, the message has already been sent.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Virtual???

Oh no. It was a landslide. Just read from our unbiased media.

http://www.time.com/time/politics/ar...856560,00.html

Regardless of the outcome, the message has already been sent.
    Given the standards laid down by the media in 2004. That story is absolutely accurate.

Forum Member

Given the standards laid down by the media in 2004. That story is absolutely accurate.
    And yet he has done nothing, and his policies have helped very few people. And many people that have supported him during his election are vaporizing. His job approval ratings have slumped - and as you pointed out many presidents have been at about this point in their Presidencies - but considering the events of the past year this is not all that good.

A mandate for change is all well and good, but you actually have to follow through with it. That has not been done thus far, and a lot of people are upset with the wasy President Obama has performed, and are less than pleased with the performance of Congress thus far as well.

Banned

The three subsequent failures in major elections are a statement that this is not the change the people wanted. Those would be the Governors races in New Jersey and Virginia, and the election of Brown. All three are Democratic strong holds and crashing fast. When Brown wins you will have many Democrats re-evaluating their postilions on the issues.

Rather than health care give-aways , they need to focus on job creation, then people will get their insurance through the employers and not the tax payer.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    And yet he has done nothing, and his policies have helped very few people. And many people that have supported him during his election are vaporizing. His job approval ratings have slumped - and as you pointed out many presidents have been at about this point in their Presidencies - but considering the events of the past year this is not all that good.

A mandate for change is all well and good, but you actually have to follow through with it. That has not been done thus far, and a lot of people are upset with the wasy President Obama has performed, and are less than pleased with the performance of Congress thus far as well.
    I would add this change is good as long is it is the right change. There is change for the good and change for the worse. Not for nothing, but you can keep this change.

Forum Member

Default Keep voting

If you would like to vote for Coakley, contact your local ACORN office. They got me 7 ballots and I have never been to Mass.

Forum Member

I went to vote this morning around 1015, and the parking lot was packed for voters. Even in November 2008 the place was not as packed given the large turnout in Mass. for President Obama. Even with a miserable mix of snow, sleet, slush, and 8 inches of heavy white crap yesterday I have not seen my town's school this packed for a vote in the normal election cycle.....nevermind the fact that this is an off-year election in the middle of freaking January. And I live in a little rinky-dink town of 7,400people.

All the talk shows are abuzz with people reporting the same thing. Packed polls.

If this election is any less than 5% seperating the candidates both the Dems and Republicans will be flooding this state worse than they did in Minnesota or Florida.

Since scfire86 is so quiet, I can only imagine that he is just trying to keep his house from floating into the Pacific ocean with 20 inches of rain there. Stay safe, buy a boat, and put your floaties on. It should be over soon.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by waterboy1 View Post
    If you would like to vote for Coakley, contact your local ACORN office. They got me 7 ballots and I have never been to Mass.
    7!!! Was that with or without taking a prostitute with you?
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Default Hey SC!!........

I'm aware that you're keeping an eye on this thread.... So I'm hijacking for just a split second to wish the Best for you, Bou, and all the other West Coast Folks on here. The stuff on the Weather Reports that we're getting here looks like you folks are getting beat up pretty bad. Good Luck, Take Care..........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Just saw a report that Coakley conceded to Brown. Wow...

Now, are the Democrats willing to seal their fate by trying to push through the healthcare bill before he gets to DC?

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    Just saw a report that Coakley conceded to Brown. Wow...

Now, are the Democrats willing to seal their fate by trying to push through the healthcare bill before he gets to DC?
    Won't happen.

Congratulations to the people of Massachusetts for sending a message!
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Massachusetts is now a purple state.
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 01-19-2010 at 11:15 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Ummm?.......

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Massachusetts is now a purple state.

Or is that a "Purple Hydrant" State??...........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Ahhh. Some hope and change we can finally believe in!
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Thread Information