+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... Last
    Forum Member

Default How to Improve Your FH.Com Experience

...not to mention your life in general, lower your blood pressure, increase virility, slow hair loss, and help stave off weight gain.... in just a few easy steps.

This is really simple and easy, guys, promise. Take you less than a moment.

Ok, first, find a thread by or featuring your favorite flame-baiting troll who loves to post inflammatory, ridiculous stuff just to see you all go thermonuclear... not specifically pointing out anyone, but ahem ScareCrowandLAFireEducator...just as an example, of course.

Step 1: Find a post of theirs...try to ignore the "content" for the moment, because it's carefully crafted to enrage you and make you froth at the mouth and spew hate and discontent towards them over the forums. They love this. Feed off it, even. Ignore that.

Step 2: Click their username. A drop-down menu appears. In the menu, click "view public profile".

Step 3: Their profile appears, and just above it a gray option bar. Click "User Lists" there and another drop-down pops up. One of those options is "Add to Ignore List". Click it.

Step 4: A confirmation window appears, asking if you're SURE you want to add them to your ignore list. Click the "Not yes, but HELL YES" option.

That's it. 4 easy steps to lower blood pressure and cholesterol, higher sperm counts, slower hair loss, possibility of a promotion at work, hell possibility of winning the lottery even if you didn't buy a ticket, insta-celebrity, and a chance at fortune and fame.

Tellin ya guys, it's worth it. So little work for so much benefit.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Forum Member

You can't expect anyone to look away from these trainwrecks.

Glad to see you're posting again bro!
    IAFF

MembersZone Subscriber

It's like looking at old lady tits. You know it's not going to be pretty, but your going to look anyway.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    You can't expect anyone to look away from these trainwrecks.

Glad to see you're posting again bro!
    lol I did. And those guys are like the 3x-length "supertrain"...take a couple of em and crash em at bullet-train speeds, and that's what you get from their posts.

Well, it's up to you guys, but really, I'm tellin ya all: if you ignore them, they will go away in search of other forums to troll...
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by rm1524 View Post
    It's like looking at old lady tits. You know it's not going to be pretty, but your going to look anyway.
    If you've seen one pair, you wanna see them all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by the1141man View Post
    Tellin ya guys, it's worth it. So little work for so much benefit.
    Only one problem. The younger, less experienced and trained jakes whom are easily influenced can still read their drivel.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Only one problem. The younger, less experienced and trained jakes whom are easily influenced can still read their drivel.
    That's my worry with everyone putting them on their ignore list.

Forum Member

Well, it's up to you guys, but really, I'm tellin ya all: if you ignore them, they will go away in search of other forums to troll...
    No they won't. The lack of disagreement will make them think they're right and we all agree. It will make them post more. You can't apply conventional logic to turds like them.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member
    A Great place USA, which means not West Coast...!

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    no they won't. The lack of disagreement will make them think they're right and we all agree. It will make them post more. You can't apply conventional logic to turds like them.
    right on bro!
    FDNY 343 9/11/01 WILL Never Forget!

(W-6)

"We Lucky Few We Band of Brothers." William Shakespeare

"let no man's ghost return to say his training let him down. "

D-P-T

Forum Member

No they won't. The lack of disagreement will make them think they're right and we all agree. It will make them post more. You can't apply conventional logic to turds like them.
    ... I guess. Personally, better moderatorship would fix the problem forthwith...

My personal opinion is that by presenting a dissenting opinion, you're just giving them more of what they want. Think about it like aikido... some newbs that come here will take the lack of dissention as agreement, sure, but they're prob the same newbs that will read your arguments and theirs, and decide that they're right, regardless of how many good points you bring. We all know that guys like that are like expert politicians, twisting your words around against you and flat out "rephrasing" everything you say to fit their lil world.
    You guys have said it before that it's like beating your head on a brick wall... I'd even go so far as to throw out the old "mud wrestling with pigs" analogy--you get dirty, and the pig f'ing LOVES it.

But it's yer choice... I'm just giving you guys another tool in the toolbox, so to speak. All I can say is so far your "unconventional logic" is rendering you zero results. Maybe it's time to "think inside the box" ...
    Last edited by the1141man; 01-16-2010 at 04:53 AM.

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Forum Member

... I guess. Personally, better moderatorship would fix the problem forthwith...
    While I don't disagree with you that that is one of the main issues with these forums, I don't think it applies when referring to the idiots that troll around every day.

I would rather see the trifecta roam the forums doing as they please than have them banned for having differing opinions or just being plain idiots. If that were grounds for banishment, there would be no one left around here. We all disgree and we all act stupid from time to time. I hope you don't take that as me defending them- they are some of the most stupid people I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with. BUT, banning them for such would mean this has turned into a dictatorship, which is bad for all.

I guess we just need to wait until one of them posts a link to another website, then we will have them dead to rights.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Chenzo View Post
    That's my worry with everyone putting them on their ignore list.
    I think most everybody has a certain coward on their ignore list-either formally or informally. His post count has dropped radically since that happened. That is what happens when the masses ignore you. You get tired of posting to yourself.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't think so. See my post just above.

But what I am concerned about is a certain piece of trash with a history of creating multiple user names. That is a real problem. If the old WT had the gonads to deal with him when it first happened we would not be having this discussion today.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Yeah.........

In before the Lock..........

Seriously, I'm kinda in the middle. On one hand, I agree that there is some incredibly wrong info getting out to some young, wanting to learn, Rookies. On the other hand, I'm a supporter of our Constitutional Right of Freedom of Expression. Sure, There's a line drawn, but where?.........

Don't take my comments to mean that I'm defending any one person or school of thought or way of doing Business, I'm not..... But, as stated above, a Dictatorship would be a loss to all of us. As someone's Signature on a Forum says: "If we're all thinking alike, then someone's not Thinking", or something like that. Distasteful as it may be in some instances, varying opinions are one facet of what this Country was founded on...........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

It has taken me about a month here to understand some of the personalities. After the last debate I partook with some of these people I have given up responding to any of the drivel that comes from some of the members here. I hope that the few times I have engaged these individuals has not lowered my own personal standard. And I hope no one has lowered their views of me because I took the bait and touched the tar baby.

Banned

Got to love those who advocate ignorance. Ignoring other peoples opinions does not make the opinion go away.

Forum Member

What would it take?...........T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Acute lead therapy?

Forum Member

Harve put it very well. Thanks for your wisdom sir.

What I am going to say is more then likely to tick some people off, from all sides.

As Harve stated so eloquently, we are a society/country based upon the freedom of speech. With that comes Freedom of thought, expression, opinion, morality, religion... you have read it.

The webteam moderators, in my opinion, have to use some bases or standard to do their job. They could, shut down everything the minute that a topic runs off the rails, but they don't. They tend to let it run its course. Isn't that what this country is about? I'm sure some of those moderators grit their teeth at times reading some of the statements, opinions and hate that finds it way into these conversations.

Let's talk about the hate and personal attacks a moment. Is that what we have come to around here. There seems to be alot of that around here. When someone states an opinion, it is common that many take license and jump on the poster like it is open season. So what, someone doesn't agree with you or the majority. Is that going to ruin your life or make you have a bad day? If the answer is yes, then you should analyze your priorities perhaps.

I don't agree with many of the people here. I have different opinions on many issues, but alot of that might be that I am from the old world and approaching my final years. I look at most things in a different light than I did when I was twenty. But I don't for a minute think it is my right to tell someone what to think or believe just because it is my opinion and the correct one.

I don't mind lively debate. It is one of the vehicles we use to solve many issues or strive to find answers. But I do think that when we use insults and personal attacks against someone for having a differing opinion or position, we set ourselves up for mob rule or anarchy. Whatever the mob agrees with is the way we will do it, so we get rid of everyone else. That isn't the way we do things in our society, but that is what many here seem to want.

I understand what some concerns are. A few are concerned that new and impressionable minds will be filled with incorrect information that may cause them injury or death. Well if you guys haven't been paying attention, it happens everday in our public school system, and I don't see the same reaction as I see here. If we don't teach history and learn from it, we are destined to repeat it. But I do not subscribe to the one size fits all application way of doing things. But we have to strike a balance somewhere.

I see alot of diversity from alot of people here. Is anyone an expert on every subject? Not at all. But many seem to think that the way they do it in their part of the world is the way you do it everywhere. That doesn't hold up. Firefighters that have the luxery of hydrants at their disposal cannot judge a department that doesn't. The same is true in reverse. I've seen alot of Firefighters that had only used hydrants that were hopelessly lost when they found the need to draft all of a sudden. And I have seen guys that never used a hydrant that didn't know the first thing about them when it counted.

I've seen pitched battles between career guys and volunteers. It cuts both ways and it shouldn't. It is a fact that it takes all of us to protect our little piece of the planet. Anyone that puts on the gear and gives it all his has to save a kid, or fight a fire has my respect. But many here believe some should not play firefighter unless they have all of the training and the newest stuff to play with. It is a fact of life that there isn't enough money to pay for all of that training and equipment. But nevertheless, we condemn or attack someone else because they are not up to our standard. In my opinion, some of your guys need to get out and see how some of the others live; again, from all perspectives.

I've worked in small communites and big cities. Each firefighter despite where they exist, has the very same issues and faces the same threats. A house fire in Pittsburg PA is just about the same as a one in Benton Arkansas. Someone will say "Those country guys don't have skyscrapers and alot of people to protect". No but they have huge wildfires and they protect people just the same. The MVA on a 4 or 5 lane highway is not too much different from one on a country road. The extrication, rescue and medical challenges are the same. The way departments handle those issues may vary, but it seems to be getting done. The results may differ, but it is getting done.

I didn't know that we were in a race with each other. I always believed we were in a race to save lives and property. I didn't realize that this was a competition, but so many act like they have something to prove. Again, their way is the only way. What I find more disturbing is the ones that blindly follow a few so they can be on what they think is the right side. Speaking out in agreement by jumping on the dogpile does not do anything but show you just want to be accepted. And unfortunately, it is easier to find acceptance by not going against the grain and speaking to your own beliefs.

So we get mod rule and mob mentality. And that is what alot of the discussions have come too. I know, some will say, "they ask for it". Maybe. But when you respond you feed it and keep it going. It sometimes just takes a little character to accept that someone is a bit different, or a department or firefighter does it another way, than sit there and directly challenge the statement. Sometimes it is better to just not say anything. The old saying, "if you can't say something positive, don't say anything".

I have commanded alot of firefighters over the years. It isn't uncommon that some will come to me with a complaint or issue and want me to do something about it on the spot. What they fail to realize is if you want to see a change or correction, you have to work within the system, the rules. One of my standard response is "It is easy to complain about something. Give me your answer or solution to this problem. Give me something that I can work with." The point, many just want to complain about something, but they do not offer a solution. They expect change just because they want it. I think you have to offer something to get something back.

I have seen some people become so frustrated that they believe they must fight to exist around here. This isn't a fight for survival, at least this forum doesn't change what I think or do, and it sure as hell doesn't feed me. But for some, it plays to their ego, and they live off of it. It has become a kind of a drug or stimulant and gives them purpose. If they should lose this, then they will have to find something else to fill the void.

I have seen open attacks against the web team and the owners of the site. What gives you that right to do that? Is this Forum supported with your money? Does it cost you anything? Some of you act like it is owed to you and you have the right to say or do anything you want. The truth is, the owners that provide this forum don't get enough praise for even providing it. They don't have to do it. I am sure they believe it is part of what they must do to help sell their product; the FH Magazine. So it is perhaps a business decision. But they own it, and can do whatever they want. No one has the right to tell them what they think they should do. And to attack the person or persons behind the scenes keeping this running is a bit childish. They do the best they can, within the scope of what they are advised to do. And if you guys are so perfect, why don't you go out and start your own magazine and web forum. You can operate a select club so everyone can agree with you. If they don't, you can kick them out.

Because so many have decided that they don't have to play well with others, and they do not respect anyone elses opinion, this forum has become nothing but a big soapbox. Some of the crap that finds its way here is a joke. Fights over what we call this type of truck in this part of the world and telling everyone else they have been wrong in another part of the world is just like staking out the playground monkey bars for yourself. It's stupid and doesn't solve a damn thing. Everything is relative, but it also depends on where you call home.

Operations and tactics are going to be different depending on where you are, what you have to play with, and how much equipment and manpower you have. We all trained and read the books, listen the instructors, did what it took to be firefighter. But sometimes the book does not mean squat... it has to be tossed out. We know what we are supposed to do, but it doesn't always go that way. If you try to hold to the STANDARD on every single situation, then we are going to lose alot more than win. And you can use the Safety arguement all you want, but it doesn't change the reality.

But my too cents says alot of you guys need to get over your egos and grow up. You can tell me to go away and I can tell you can go away. In the end, nothing is going to happen until the webteam makes one or both of us both go away. We don't have to see eye to eye, but that doesn't mean I don't have to respect you. It doesn't mean I have to call you a troll or idiot. I can have my opinion and I can keep it to myself or I can present my view for others to ponder. I can either respond in kind or be respectful and disagree, or perhaps just not say anything at all.

But I will not be suprised if the owners of this site start to think this forum is just too much trouble to operate. They provide a service. Maybe it is part of what they do to give us the latest news and product information about what we do. I appreciate what they do even when I disagree with some of what they do. But I'm sure they don't hold that against me, since I am still here. It is apparent that many of you tend to believe that their lack of action, which I think is great restraint, means you can operate any way you want. Perhaps that is the way it is. But if the owners fold the tent stakes, don't be suprised. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses and go on.

Maybe someone can fill that void, or your version of the void. But there are a few other forums that don't have the bs that we find here. Mostly they are full of talented people that have respect for others and want to be helpful. Not too different from what we have here, except here we alot of people that just want to complain, attack, or whine.

So how about getting over it and let's do something constructive.

Okay... I give you permission to jump on, attack, or abuse me. If that makes you fell better, go for it. Prove my point... please!
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Forum Member

A well placed lightning strike in the vicinity of his home.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Banned

PaladinKnight - That is an excellent and well thought out post. Kudos to you

Back In Black

I don't want to see them banned. However, if someone is banned, they should appeal through proper channels and get restored. Not just show up with a new name. I've even been given a time out and restored, thanks to the wisdom of the powers that be.

With that said.

I like to debate, argue and spout off. It's fun for me, or I wouldn't do it.

I've backed off on debating with our friend from the land with no second stories. We have radically different viewpoints and my disagreements with him have mainly run their course and come full circle. So, I tend to leave his posts to speak for themselves. I think most, even the newest firefighters get that his point of view is not mainstream.

However, I speak my mind. If someone's trolling, I'm gonna call them on it. If someone makes a post that I think is ridiculous, I'm gonna say so. I try not to launch personal attacks, but I'm human.

For every post or reply I make, there's probably 1 that I typed up and didn't submit For every post that I read there are probably 50 posts that I just decided not to reply to.

I don't have anyone on ignore. I'll use my own filter and decide post by post what I want to respond to. I'm not hurt by reading their idiotic posts.

I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

ignore doesnt work when they repeatedly get quoted

Forum Member

I think a lot of you guys hit the point on the head... there's such a thing as debate... and then there's just, as some pointed out, "trolling".

I used to be a moderator on military.com for a year back in its heyday, before Monster.com (which had owned the site for some time already) decided to assert "creative control" over the place and basically start micromanaging everything. At that point I told them to "GFY" (in much more specific and detailed terms), and have yet to return to the site since.

"Over there", one of the terms of the TOS was "deliberately disrupting discussions of the board"... now granted, as with most TOS (including FH.com's, most likely), the terms are deliberately vague--after all, they're writing guidelines, not criminal law.
    When a poster would frequently "jump in" with inane, nonsensical ramblings, obviously trying to rile the membership and "stir the pot", they were contacted by a Mod privately and warned, and a warning posted to the thread, as well... it was a favorite tactic of theirs to try to rile people up, get someone so ****ed-off that they'd throw in a minor personal dig (as many have admitted to here), then go running to the Mods trying to get that person banned, hoping we would just see the "offending post" and take action.

That sort of behavior is childish, disruptive, and unacceptable. There, or here. The laughing stopped pretty quickly when we read the whole thread and saw this person deliberately antagonizing people, goading them to anger so they would take a personal dig.... and at that point, it was time to ban the "troll".

Under that model, the military.com forums ran perfectly well, with far greater traffic than this site has probably ever seen (and definitely far more than it's seen since I've been here)... and well, to a minor point, it was a "benevolent dictatorship" over there. Major Jackson (USAF Ret), was the Admin, and set forth the direction for the Mods (a hodge-podge of a couple Ret officers, a Warrant or two, and a bunch of NCOs, and a few trusted "wifeys" as well), since everything was somewhat vague.

It was called "using good judgment", and is something that we all should be capable of, given the positions we occupy.
    It seems to me that the two sites are at an opposite extreme: military.com was a benevolent dictatorship (and turned into a corporate-nightmare dictatorship), FH.com is pure anarchy.

Paladin, while I respect your opinions on the right to freedom of speech, let's face it, the Bill of Rights never addressed that in terms of private organizations to begin with, and not to get "too" into politics, but let's face it, the "rights guaranteed" by the Bill of Rights have been legislated to the extent that they're merely "privileges" now, backed by the silent consent or outright blessing of the Supreme Court.

Either way, it's a privately owned site, so the "Bill of Rights" doesn't apply here. Sorry if that hurts feelings, but it's the hard truth.

So with all this talk of moderation on the forums... perhaps I'm not so subtly hinting at something: the discussion has been brought up time and again, of volunteer Mods selected from the membership-at-large... and since Mr. Editor in Chief is around a little more, perhaps he'd be inclined to hear the pros and cons and weigh in on things himself. Personally, I think if a few good, level-headed, well-respected long-time members were picked as Mods here, things would improve quite a bit, and maybe some of the people who left here for "greener pastures", would consider revisiting and sharing their knowledge again.

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Forum Member

I think most everybody has a certain coward on their ignore list-either formally or informally. His post count has dropped radically since that happened. That is what happens when the masses ignore you. You get tired of posting to yourself

Been pretty busy volunteering more for my FD on my off hours doing classes and such.

Less time to be here.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 01-16-2010 at 07:17 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... Last

Thread Information