Default Hero's welcome was already planned for firefighter Marine killed in Afghanistan

U.S. Marine Sgt. Christopher Hrbek had only one wish for his homecoming: that the streets of Westwood be lined with American flags.

The route home for Hrbek, who was killed in Afghanistan on Thursday, will be off the Garden State Parkway and then along Washington Avenue, likely next Wednesday, is reporting exclusively.

Everyone in town is expected to fly the Stars and Stripes in honor of the hometown hero.

His body is expected to arrive at Dover Air Force base, after which it will be transported to Becker Funeral Home.

Fellow congregants at Zion Lutheran Church had been preparing a festive homecoming. Bill Schmidt, a former Bergen County prosecutor and now an elder with the church, had bought the Blue Star Service flag on Wednesday.

A day later, church members discovered that the 25-year-old sergeant had stepped on a hidden explosive device that detonated and killed him.

"I am heart-sick beyond belief," said Schmidt, whose nephew was killed in battle just six years ago. "I can't even even begin to imagine the family.... Well, actually, I can, since my wife, her sister, sister's kids, etc., went through it."

Hrbek, Schmidt said, "was a U.S. Marine sergeant and proud of it and all that it represented."

Now a community is preparing to bury the volunteer firefighter -- who comes from a family of firefighters -- and career serviceman, who was killed while on patrol in the dangerous Helmand Province.

Respectfully,
    Jerry DeMarco

Publisher/Editor
    CLIFFVIEWPILOT.COM
    GerardJDeMarco@gmail.com

Back In Black

Congrats to our fallen brother. He is truly a hero.

It's a shame that the name of this website was bolded and highlighted and the hero's name is just a regular font.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Congrats to our fallen brother. He is truly a hero.

It's a shame that the name of this website was bolded and highlighted and the hero's name is just a regular font.
    Oh but you can get the full story "over there".... :/

Rest in Peace, Brother.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Rest in Peace Brother.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Thread Information