Forum Member

Default Another Background question.

I am currently 18 about to turn 19 and have been a fire explorer for about six to eight months now. Ever since I became an explorer and learned the skills and been around the station with the firefighters it feels like the only job I'm meant to do.

In highschool I occasionally went to parties and drank, and tried marijuana a few times in a month long period but never any more. I don't drink ever since I started college really and got a 4.0 my first year of college and have had a stick up my butt ever since then. I have no marks on my record whatsoever. I have no intention on lying when I ever do do a background and just want to see if these will set me back a lot.
    Last edited by Wesabi; 01-16-2010 at 05:42 AM.

Forum Member

about a year ago a friend of mine was in one of his fire classes and a background investigator came in and was talking about the excact same thing you are. you should have no problem as long as there are no marks on your record. the ff personell that will be conducting ur oral have all been at that stage in their life and i can garantee most of them havve tried it. you just have to never get involved with it again and show them that you have learned from your mistakes. dont worry about it. everyones done it. your not alone.

Forum Member

Default Background

As a former Background Investigator I say you'll do fine as long as you have truly stopped with the drugs and alcohol. Time is your friend and the more time or distance you have from your drug and alcohol use the better. I'm not saying that you need to give up the occasional drink.....as almost everyone has one now and then I saying that if you have a tendency to over indulge a lot you need to stop.
    You are also correct to say that you will never lie to cover it up....if they ask Have you ever??? please answer correctly. If you do not then you are toast and will be dropped from the entrance procedure.
    I hope this helps....
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Well put Jay. But I would give up the drinking until you're 21 and then in moderation. One less thing to have to explain during a background and the less they have concerns over, the better.

Forum Member

Ya this helps a ton, thanks guys. Trust me I am clean on drugs I can't stand the smell of weed actually. I have also been thinking about giving up the occasional drink until I'm 21 which is when I plan on being done with school and ready to apply. I want to have the best shot when I go in there and am willing to do whatever it takes. Plus there are plenty of more fun legal things to do.

Forum Member

Default Drinking

zzyzx...you are correct about the drinking. The problem is if you should go over the borders it's 18 and be careful.
    Last edited by JayDudley; 01-17-2010 at 11:58 PM.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Ya drinking was never like a big problem I just did it every once in awhile when i was 17, other than sips of beer from my dad and what not.

Thread Information