Forum Member

Default Question about my temp and term time

I will be 37 the end of this June and as a result, I will no longer be able to apply for DOD firefighter jobs. However, I was a term and temp for 2 years. I was wondering if this time would apply towards the civil service and be subtracted from my age?

any onfo would be a great help. Thanks.

Forum Member

As for OFFICIAL longevity and senioroty, I am certain that your TEMP time has absolutely ZERO value- Someone reviewing your applications may say "Oh he is already in the system as a temp, lets look at him again if no other qualified candidates come along....

Your TERM status I am not too sure about- This may have some value, it may not.

Have you posted these questions on Dodfire.com?????? You will get better answers on there.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    As for OFFICIAL longevity and senioroty, I am certain that your TEMP time has absolutely ZERO value- Someone reviewing your applications may say "Oh he is already in the system as a temp, lets look at him again if no other qualified candidates come along....

Your TERM status I am not too sure about- This may have some value, it may not.

Have you posted these questions on Dodfire.com?????? You will get better answers on there.

Thanks for your response. I have heard the term time does apply, but not the temp. If that is true, it buys me another year.

Forum Member

OPM got rid of the age 37 max for firefighters! I have the signed Memo right here in front of me. When I get around to it I will scan it and post it. I'm sure you could find it online.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by XFedFF View Post
    OPM got rid of the age 37 max for firefighters! I have the signed Memo right here in front of me. When I get around to it I will scan it and post it. I'm sure you could find it online.

I would love to see it : )

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by arff42 View Post
    I would love to see it : )
    This is what I found online.

SC336.5.4. Exception to the Maximum Entry Age. The Head of a DoD Component may approve the original entry of an individual who has passed the entry age limits set forth in subparagraphs SC336.5.2.1. and SC336.5.2.2., above. Age waivers are not required for entry into a covered secondary firefighter or law enforcement officer position.
    SC336.5.4.1. Such an exception shall be extremely rare and based only on a compelling hardship to the DoD Component mission; i.e., made only to overcome a recruitment shortage.
    SC336.5.4.2. Each exception shall be in writing and signed by the Head of the DoD Component. This authority may not be re-delegated.
    SC336.5.4.3. A copy of the approved exception shall be filed in the Official Personnel Folder (OPF) of the person concerned.
    SC336.5.4.4. Employees in this category, who are not otherwise eligible for immediate retirement, may remain employed in covered positions until they meet immediate retirement requirements described in 5 U.S.C. 8336(c) (reference (a)) for CSRS employees and 5 U.S.C. 8412(d) (reference (a)) for FERS employees, provided the employees continue to meet the physical requirements for these positions.
    SC336.5.5

Forum Member

Sounds to me like if I were you I would not count on that exception.

Forum Member

The court case that changed the age requirement is Robert P. Isabella v. Department of State and Office of personnel Management. 2008 M.S.P.B. 146

Forum Member

Sounds to me like if I were you I would not count on that exception.
    Exactly what I was thinking. I have until the end of June before I turn 37. With any luck my term time will count and buy me some valuable time.

Forum Member

Exactly what I was thinking. I have until the end of June before I turn 37. With any luck my term time will count and buy me some valuable time.
    Have you been posing these questions on dodfire.com??? If not I highly recommend that you do so.

Forum Member

Have you been posing these questions on dodfire.com??? If not I highly recommend that you do so.
    I will post on dodfire.com right now.

Thanks for the idea.

Forum Member

It's addressed ad-nauseum on there. Recent post from Chief Warner said there has not been a change in this to his knowledge.

I did some research on the Isabella case. They unjustly excluded him because he was too close the maximum entry age. He had not turned 37 yet.

Forum Member

My former captain with DOD just emailed stating my temp and term time do count towards my time. I just need to provide my SF 50 forms and they have to show I was fully succesful in order to recieve credit.

Forum Member

My former captain with DOD just emailed stating my temp and term time do count towards my time. I just need to provide my SF 50 forms and they have to show I was fully succesful in order to recieve credit.
    Is your captain absolutely sure about this? I am in the same position, i.e. I applied for, and was selected for, a primary firefighter position with the Forest Service in Region 6, but the human resources people out in New Mexico are saying that, since I was over the age of 37 at the time of applying, I am therefore unqualified for the position, and cannot be hired. I had planned on using my 15 or so seasons of temp time to push my Mean Entry Age back a year, but now I am wondering what the rules really are.

Please clarify!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingcorn View Post
    Is your captain absolutely sure about this? I am in the same position, i.e. I applied for, and was selected for, a primary firefighter position with the Forest Service in Region 6, but the human resources people out in New Mexico are saying that, since I was over the age of 37 at the time of applying, I am therefore unqualified for the position, and cannot be hired. I had planned on using my 15 or so seasons of temp time to push my Mean Entry Age back a year, but now I am wondering what the rules really are.

Please clarify!!
    I am hearing two different things now. Term time counts cuz you contribute towards your retirement, but Temp you do not. So Temp time may not count. I would think for wildland jobs it would be different because so many are seasonal temp jobs. Its bs that someone puts in 15 years as a seasona; forefighter and then cant do year 16 cuz he is over 37.

I am confused on the entire hiring process and 37 thing. I have heard some say you cannot reach 37 by the time the job announcement closes. I have also heard you cannot reach 37 by the date of hire. I have no idea which is correct.

Forum Member

I am certain that TEMP time does not count for ANYTHING.

Once again, you need to go to DodFire.com for answers to these questions. The people who really and truly know the answers are all over there.

Forum Member

I am certain that TEMP time does not count for ANYTHING.

Once again, you need to go to DodFire.com for answers to these questions. The people who really and truly know the answers are all over there.
    term time counts, temp time does not.

Thread Information