Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Truck usage question

Hi all. I was just appointed the "engineering" for our Pierce, engine. It has a 1000 GPM 2 stage pump, 2800g tank and is in a heated sub-station.

I have a lot of support from some good experienced guys, but our vounteer department is made up of a lot of full time career guys who work in the nearby cities so I want to do as much research and self learning as I can. So, I would like to ask some questions. I will start with an "easy" one.

How often should I run this engine at a minimum? I imagine that it is not great for them to sit unused for too long. We could go sometimes 3 weeks without this engine needing to go out. We handle primarily rescue calls, and we have a brand new E-One engine, plus two other trucks at central station that roll far more frequently then this substation.

Thanks!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mcdonl View Post
    Hi all. I was just appointed the "engineering" for our Pierce, engine. It has a 1000 GPM 2 stage pump, 2800g tank and is in a heated sub-station.

I have a lot of support from some good experienced guys, but our vounteer department is made up of a lot of full time career guys who work in the nearby cities so I want to do as much research and self learning as I can. So, I would like to ask some questions. I will start with an "easy" one.

How often should I run this engine at a minimum? I imagine that it is not great for them to sit unused for too long. We could go sometimes 3 weeks without this engine needing to go out. We handle primarily rescue calls, and we have a brand new E-One engine, plus two other trucks at central station that roll far more frequently then this substation.

Thanks!
    The driveline components are the same as found on highway trucks. They're made to be run and run and run. 100,000 miles a year and more are commonplace for that stuff. They don't like not running. Do all you can. Pumps need to be used, too. Especially the transfer valve and the primer. If it has a discharge side relief valve, that too. Run the pump a little each day if you can. Pull the primer just briefly and cycle the transfer valve once or twice. Lift the relief valve a couple of times. Keep the scale from building up on them. They have to be used in order to work when you need them. Open and close your discharge and pony inlets a couple of times, too. You can be shut down while your doing that. Do those things and you'll save yourself beaucoup grief down the line.

Stay safe out there, everyone goes home!

MembersZone Subscriber

To go along with what Chiefengineer said, get out the manual for the truck and pump and peruse through them. You'll learn a lot about both and what the manufacturers want as far as what needs done and how often. You'll also learn a lot about the operation of things like the pump.

Forum Member

Thanks guys!

MembersZone Subscriber

When you run the truck do you also run and work all the equipment on it? If not you should be.

In your case, I think that you need run the equipment at least once a week. Some will not agree with me on this and tell you more or less, you will have to figure out what is best.

One thing I will says is this, go back and re-read chiefeng reply he is very correct in it.

One other thing you need to do is read the Allison transmission book you will learn a lot from it and how you should maintain it.

Quote Originally Posted by rm1524 View Post
    When you run the truck do you also run and work all the equipment on it? If not you should be.

In your case, I think that you need run the equipment at least once a week. Some will not agree with me on this and tell you more or less, you will have to figure out what is best.

One thing I will says is this, go back and re-read chiefeng reply he is very correct in it.

One other thing you need to do is read the Allison transmission book you will learn a lot from it and how you should maintain it.

I'll add this, take the truck out on the road for some road travel. This will let the drive train, chassis components get exercised as well. This gives the exhaust system, pipes, muffler time to get hot so any moisture that may be in there before and afterwards will get dried out. It also lets the tires get some time rolling instead of just sitting in one spot.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    I'll add this, take the truck out on the road for some road travel. This will let the drive train, chassis components get exercised as well. This gives the exhaust system, pipes, muffler time to get hot so any moisture that may be in there before and afterwards will get dried out. It also lets the tires get some time rolling instead of just sitting in one spot.
    You are right. That was one reason I said to read the Allison book. They say that you need to check the fluid level when the tranny is above a certain temp, to reach that temp it is about a 30 minute drive.

I agree with lots of people here all good tips. I got in the habit of when we arrived at fire alarms and other scenes to put the truck into pump and turn the generator on just to make sure everything was in working condition. Your gonna be standing at the truck anyways so there's nothing wrong with doing some checks and if they do find something your already to go!
    Stay safe!

MembersZone Subscriber

Another thing that gets missed, especially on departments/trucks that don't get a lot of runs, is to excercise the valves. Open and close each valve several times each week (at least weekly). That will keep them from getting stuck due to rust, debris, calcium, etc.

Of course, don't do like some of my vollies have and do it while the pump is running.

Thread Information