Forum Member

Default lightweight construction

This is not a orginal idea , but i was wondering if any of you out there have a sop or sog that deals with lightweight construction .The idea came from a class i had attended that was by far excellent , and made me look at what alot of the great people in the fire service have been preaching for years .The building is our enemy.Anyhow i have heard that several depts around the country have started in there efforts to identify lwc by using placards on sinlge family homes .Just was wondering if anyone has taken to the sop or sog level yet. Thanks in advance for your input mike

Forum Member

Placards are an interesting idea (they are code for commercial occupancies I believe) , but it seems like its over complicating and throwing money at a problem that can be fixed through training and knowing your district. By simply just knowing the ages of structures in your district and knowing what signs might point to lightweight construction will allow you to determine how the building was built most of the time. If you are in a situation where you aren't sure, assume its lightweight until shown otherwise.

While it make factor into what you do, you shouldn't decide your tactics on how the building was built alone. You need to look at the whole picture and decide how to fight the fire.

Thread Information