Forum Member

Interesting topic, I can add to this that I also try to keep sunday free of work. But if the ox falls into the well, we don't wait for tomorrow do we?

Should hospitals, police, powerplants, water company and fire&rescue all stop if all the people on the face of the earth would be of the same religious belief?

Bottom line: I try to avoid work that reasonable could be left for another day, such as a large portion of "normal" jobs in industry.

(I keep sunday as the off-day, but I'm sure the same principle can be applied to any other day of the week)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 48thRoughnecks View Post
    Now I gotta figure out how to make them see past the fact that I'm an asthmatic...suggestions? haha
    Thanks again guys
    Can you pass a PFT meeting the requirements of 29CFR1914.134???????

Well, first of all I have the standard wrong. It should read 29CFR1910.134, a part of the Code of Federal Regulations, United States Department of Labor's (Bureau of Occupational Safety & Health) standards on Respiratory Protection.

A PFT is a Pulmonary Function Test, which is given at your initial employment health screening, and once a year every year for the duration of your employment. Basically it is a demonstration of your lung capacity and efficiency. If you have bad asthma, you probably will get rejected for employment. I used to give these tests in my part-time employment in the Industrial Safety Field, and anytime I ever tested someone with asthma, they failed. I would then forward them to the Industrial Health Physician for further eval, and very few ever passed. And this is just for steamfitters or boilermakers who needed to occasionally wear a respirator. You will be required to wear SCBA on a daily basis, sometimes multiple times a day.

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owad...RDS&p_id=12716
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 02-14-2010 at 09:32 AM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

I would be more than willing to answer that if I could read what it state lol.
    If you could give me a link/ definition that would be great.
    Thank you
    Zach

Forum Member

I am not sure how it is in your area, but there are some combo departments throughout the country that hire only daytime people Mon through Fri for daytime staffing to make up for a shortage of volunteers during a regular work week. They may not be your first choice, but they are another option.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 48thRoughnecks View Post
    I would be more than willing to answer that if I could read what it state lol.
    If you could give me a link/ definition that would be great.
    Thank you
    Zach
    See above. I accidentally edited my previous post.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Awesome, is this a test i could take willingly? Possibly at a hospital or something?

Forum Member

I also just found the NFPA 1582 standard, and they wrote that they would perform some sort of cold weather test...is that the same thing?

Forum Member

hi to all, in Mexico we have a rule in the fire service, "we dont have vacations, no festive days, we work seven days monday to monday, no religion, no politics".....the emergencies dont respects vacations, etc.....

is important to believe in God, try to make your 7th day wen you can, sure god dont be furious..

im bapthist an have respect for all religions

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cdafd49 View Post
    Matt 12:11; Luke 13:16.) Absenting one's self from God's house and being denied fellowship with the believers on the Sabbath can have a chilling effect on one's spiritual life.
    You might want to take those passages in CONTEXT. Both of them are answers to the question asked of Jesus one verse (or two) prior as to whether it was lawful to heal on the sabbath. The answer in Matthew was that you would save the Ox and a human life is more important than even an Ox. In Luke, Jesus is more pointed. He calls those who made the inquiry hypocrites. You would give your Ox water, why would you not save the afflicted woman?

Forum Member

There is a little town here in Texas, Keene, that is strictly a Seventh Day Adventist town. There is a large SDA school there, and the Post Office is closed on Saturday's and open on Sunday's.

The FD there, as far as I know, has no restrictions on work on Saturday's. They do view Saturday as a day off, but still require that the normal housekeeping work be done. Things like washing the engine, sweep, mop, vacuum, etc.

Forum Member

Non-Sarcastic Question: Do you believe you will go to hell / lose your salvation if you do anything other than respond to calls on the Sabbath?

Thread Information