MembersZone Subscriber

Default Alaskan Departments that are hiring

I've really been thinking about moving to Alaska. I've looked at several departments but most of the ones I talk to all seem to try to hire paid spots from within the volunteer ranks.

I currently work for the 3rd largest department in the nation and I have 6 years paid experience, all of them as a paramedic.

Any idea's on cities that are looking to hire or what not?

I know Anchorage is saying that they are supposed to have a test in 2010 but i'm not going to hold my breath
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

MembersZone Subscriber

http://www.911hotjobs.com/find-a-job...ls.asp?id=4004

Recruit Firefighter - Fairbanks, AK
    Closing Date
    3/1/2010

Description
    Under close supervision of Company Officers, performs entry-level work in the prevention and suppression of fires. Also serves as a medical responders on an ambulance crew.
    Assignments as a recruit firefighter on an assigned shift include, but are not limited to: responds to fires and other emergency scenes and renders emergency services as appropriate; participates in classes and drills to maintain proficiency; assists with inspection of buildings as assigned; provides public education through station tours and various other programs; performs equipment checks as required; performs station housekeeping maintenance; and other duties as assigned.

Requirements
    Persons applying for this position should have the following experience and/or training; Must be a High School graduate or equivalent; Applicant must be at least 18 years of age at time of application; Individuals must successfully pass a written examination and physical ability test;
    Must hold and maintain a valid State of Alaska driver�s license throughout the duration of employment (copy of driving record must be provided at the time of offer of employment):
    A State of Alaska Firefighter I (AK FF-1) certification must be obtained within one year from date of hire, preference given to persons holding current AK FF-1certificate;
    A State of Alaska Emergency Medical Technician 1 (AK EMT 1) certification must be obtained within one year from date of hire; preference given to persons holding current AK EMT 1 or higher certificate;
    Must successfully pass a psychological evaluation and a criminal background investigation;
    Must successfully complete Fairbanks Fire Department fire fighter check-off within 6 months of hire;
    Must successful be evaluated by the City of Fairbanks medical evaluator, as capable to function as a firefighter;
    Must successfully complete the physical ability evaluation at the end of the probation period;
    Must successfully pass a SCBA (self-contained breathing apparatus) fit test as required by the Fire Department Respiratory Protection Program.
    New hires are not permitted to use any tobacco products and must sign a �No-Tobacco Use� agreement for the duration of their employment with the Fairbanks Fire Department.

MembersZone Subscriber

the weather in Fairbanks kind of scares me. I was hoping somewhere along the coast, Kenai pennisula or the souther part near canada.

Thanks for the insight though.
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Forum Member

I spoke to Fairbanks FD this week and in the next 2-3 months they will be accepting applications. she didnt know if there would be hiring but they will be receiving them and starting the eligibility list around May 2012.

Thread Information