Forum Member

Default Confined Space Airline Setup

Hi all,
    We are in the process of getting new SAR equipment for our team and I was just thinking of throwing out a couple of questions to see how other depts organize their equipment. We are switching to Scott SCBA and SAR equipment.

The SAR system our team currently uses is comprised of 2 reels mounted (one on top of the other) to a heavy duty handtruck with each reel holding 300' of airline. We have 2 of these setups and they are each quite heavy (approx 150 lbs). We also have a handtruck with 4 60min bottles and a manifold attached to it's own handtruck.

Our new system will eliminate the manifold handtruck (Scott has it's own setup with spots for 2 bottles) but we'll still have to approach the reel aspect.

For spaces that are easily accessible our current setup works fine. However, if we had to access a location that only had stair or ladder access getting the reels up to the entry location would be a feat of its own. A more portable setup would be much better in my opinion.

My questions:
    1) what does your team use?
    2) do you have smaller setups for each entrant that are more portable.
    3) do you use an umbilical setup with tag line, com line, airline bundled together?

I was thinking there must be a slick system out there. I've seen in Fire/Rescue that Snohomish County uses a large duffel with an umbilical setup coiled in it but it's only 150' long. We need to have 300' for our team however... Our new airline weighs approx 40 lbs for 300' with fittings.

thanks a bunch,
    mike

Forum Member

Why not get multiple lengths of 100' air lines so you can connect as needed? We use the Conspace Communications hardline system with the hardline and airline bundled together. We keep 100' per bag so if its a short entry you only need 1 bag, connect up to 3.

http://www.con-space.com/hardline/pr...task-force-kit

MembersZone Subscriber

Out of curiosity, what types of spaces do you have that require 300' of hose and SAR? We use 100' preconnected to each SAR pack and velco'd to the shoulder strap. Small team, have to be able to do it all with 6 personnel.

Forum Member

Hey guys,
    thanks for the great comments... I have never utilized the 300' of hose and have never seen a space that required it but who knows what lurks out there. It seems to me that an adaptable system like the 100' sections is advantageous and more manageable to deal with. I'm leaning toward 150' sections at this point...

Do you do anything with the midline connection to ensure it doesn't get hung up on anything or disconnected. We have the airline connectors that aren't supposed to come undone w/o lining up the detent but I don't trust that. I've heard of simply taping the connection works well.

Thanks again,
    Mike

MembersZone Subscriber

Never had a problem with the hoses hanging up, but duct tape works fine. We are in an industrial facility and were able to preplan just about every space and figure that we won't need more than 100' in the worst case. We do have some pipe entries that exceed 2500 feet, but we do a special entry and don't use air lines on those.

Thread Information